PDA

View Full Version : Kiteboarding on SE Florida

highroller
09-19-2005, 09:08 AM
I have a couple of questions on places to kiteboard on days like today. Recently I have heard that Biscayne and 87th is closed. So as far as I know there are only three spots that I could kite that are close to downtown Miami. These are South Beach and 17th Street, Key Biscayne (with a helmet and a permit) and Mathesson Hammock.

Are these the only three sport in Miami close to the downtown area.???

Polaris
09-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Highroller,
I understand that South Beach is a no fly zone when the lifeguards are on duty but then again i've heard different stories. Does anybody have the straight info on SoBe?

Fort Lauderdale's kite beach is only 20 min. from Downtown Miami and that has a very nice launch area.

Check out www.kitebeach.com

ricki
09-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Highroller,
I understand that South Beach is a no fly zone when the lifeguards are on duty but then again i've heard different stories. Does anybody have the straight info on SoBe?

Fort Lauderdale's kite beach is only 20 min. from Downtown Miami and that has a very nice launch area.

Technically, kiteboarding was banned along all of Miami Beach several years ago. Largely it hasn't been enforced which is a mystery but seems to be the case. Some guys have made a habit of launching and riding off of unguarded beach areas while try not to annoy residents of the condos. Something like this could go on indefinitely, if we can avoid incidents and complaints. I suspect someone pissed someone off in Surfside hence the police being called in and what may be a ban put into place. Absent additional info it is just guesswork.

The only reason the Ft. Laud. launch is still open is through the efforts of Chris Kjos and like minded local riders. It would be nice to have more riders throughout Florida working to maintain access where it counts, at the beach.

highroller
09-20-2005, 12:08 PM
So basically in Miami-Dade we are down to Key Biscayne and Matheson Hammock???.

As far as this comment

The only reason the Ft. Laud. launch is still open is through the efforts of Chris Kjos and like minded local riders. It would be nice to have more riders throughout Florida working to maintain access where it counts, at the beach.

I agree that being a local rider and dealing with the authorities at the beach is great to keep a spot open. The only problem is that to do this also involves spending several hours several days a week at the spot which is a luxury many riders don't have.

ricki
09-21-2005, 08:04 AM
So basically in Miami-Dade we are down to Key Biscayne and Matheson Hammock???.

Guys still routinely ride in areas of Miami Beach. The ban has never been enforced. I heard that it is still possible to launch south of Surfside but have no confirmation of that.

Crandon is open for the moment. From what I have heard, riders will likely be thrown off the condo property to the south of Crandon Park in the near future.

FYI, Hobie Beach is to be closed to kiteboarding and perhaps even bathers in the future. There doesn't appear to be any latitude in this based upon a meeting a bunch of us had with the authorities a while back.

So, there are other options beyond those that you mentioned. I have heard some guys are locating nice spots off of Homestead as well.

We just need to stop annoying people and allow the innate entertainment value of our sport kick in to spectators, well offshore, and these access issues should fade away.

As long as we ride to close to bathers, bystanders and shore and otherwise cause issues we will have to worry about being able to continue to ride.

As far as this comment

I agree that being a local rider and dealing with the authorities at the beach is great to keep a spot open. The only problem is that to do this also involves spending several hours several days a week at the spot which is a luxury many riders don't have.

Agreed. That is why more riders need to become concerned and get involved. Traditionally, they have relied consciously or otherwise on a few kite cops to try to maintain access. That doesn't work all that well and isn't fair either. It isn't perfect but then again neither is our current approach.