PDA

View Full Version : I will be in Naples Christmas break 2008...

bpchilds
11-08-2008, 11:28 PM
hello

I am posting this to let people talk about christmas break in Naples. I am a novice rider who is looking for people to just be around a learn even from watching. I do not want to be in people's way but I would be save with other kiters around.

I am learning to stay up wind. I can tack back and forth very easily. I am confident but this would be my first time kiting in the gulf so I need help with good areas and all.

Please let me know what your experiences have been and if you are for riding.

Thank you again
B

John-
11-10-2008, 08:54 AM
i'll be in Naples during the holidays also, booties suck so I'm looking forward to warm water! I've found that most locals go out a couple blocks north or south of the pier depending on wind direction or up to Sanibel.

we had a killer day up north here in RI/MA yesterday 20+ w/head high waves at Horseneck beach, check out www.masskiting.com I think they took a bunch of video and pics soon to be posted!

ricki
11-10-2008, 09:08 AM
I would be sure to touch base with Latino, moderator of this forum for more local info. The beaches in Naples are fairly narrow and you'll be down during a heavier part of tourist season. He may have some ideas on where to head to find kiters and avoid some of the crowds on the beach. Have a good trip!

bpchilds
11-11-2008, 08:12 PM
John

Sounds good can not wait to ride. Where would you be located. I will be at this golf course called Quail Run, by Pine Ridge n Airport Pulling. I totally would meet up and ride. Just a reminder I am not that good but pick this up quickly. Let me know what you think.

Ricki

That would be great if you could find out more info. Thank you so much for the help. Hope to see you as well.

Brendan

onthefritz
11-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Hey guys,

We usually kite at 7 Ave. S. when a cold front comes through that brings N/NW winds. When it becomes S/SW we go south of the pier to 18 Ave. S. When its SE we go to tiger tail on Marco Island. Anything else thats easterly we usually have to drive up to Sanibel to ride or shoot over to the east coast for a quick fix.

When the fronts come through they bring some big rollers/choppy water and less than warm conditions, so a full wetsuit may be nice to have just in case.

Come ride with us, we always enjoy having new people around. Latino has local information on his site regarding launch points and local rules. I know he's redesigning his site right now so I'm not sure if it has all of the information up again.

swfloridakiteboarding.com

Hope to see you guys out on the water...

Thanks,

Fritz

John-
11-12-2008, 08:30 AM
I'll be down there Dec 23 to Jan 5, staying on Gulf Shore Blvd near the Edgewater resort. Last winter I was out and saw some doing a N>S downwinder past me, I would be into that as it was marginal breeze to stay upwind. I haven't hit it with breeze on but keeping fingers crossed, I'm shipping down my Spleen door & big kite just in case. I hit Sanibel a couple times last year, causeway & the lighthouse spots are pretty good and met some cool locals. I'll be the big pale yankee w/North kites trunkin it, hopefully meet some of you guys. Our local website up here www.masskiting.com Cheers, John -

bpchilds
12-09-2008, 09:54 PM
just making sure people are not too cold down there? Yes it was a crisp 2 degrees the other day. Yes I said 2. Can not WAIT to be in Naples for xmas break. It is only like 2 weeks away!! crazy!

Where do people like to hang out? I mean yes there is 5th and all but does anyone else know where is a better setting?

Everyone keep me up to date on your schedules and see if we can make something happen.

Thank you again for all your help.

B

John-
12-14-2008, 08:53 AM
Dear UPS & Mother Earth, please deliver my gear and multible fronts that produce some healthy wind to the gulf/Naples over the Christmas Holidays! Ok I've done my part ;)

latino
12-18-2008, 07:13 AM
john
your wish is my command i have ordered a cold front for christmas eve and if the weather channel has not screwed up we have one

John-
12-18-2008, 07:18 AM
you're a good man latino, Dec 24th is my birthday so it must be true, breeze on would be the perfect present if the hot blond jumping out the cake doesn't happen :D

NNE ok for Naples, or is it side off to much making it stupid gusty?

bpchilds
12-19-2008, 10:40 AM
Looks like we are going to get about 2 feet of snow in the next 3 days. That is pretty cool but i have been in Naples mode starting December 1st.

While I am down there I will be staying at a place on Pine Ridge. Only about 5-10 mins from Gulf Shore Blvd. (Depending on where you are located on the coast) I am taking my gear with me on the plane. I have called ahead to let Southwest know i was bringing something of that size. Which is not big.

On Janurary 1st 2008 I saw a kiter having fun out there at sunset probably down by 7th ave and I said that is what I want to do next year if I had the chance. I do and will be doing the same even if it is just for a little run out and back it is going to happen.

I will be there Dec 26th-Jan 3rd. Lets make this happen. Just nervous on how busy it is going to be on the beaches. Will it be busy? Let me know

Brendan

bpchilds
12-25-2008, 09:08 PM
hey y'all

i leave tomorrow for NPZ!! I am down for friday or any day of the week if anyone is up for it...

Let me know

B

John-
12-26-2008, 07:17 AM
i've been in Naples for a couple days, it's been east breezes and it looks to continue with that pattern, looking like skunk on the gulf side unless the Sanibel crew has gotten lucky. and it looks like the east side might go flat too :-(

nice sunny and warm though :D

ricki
12-26-2008, 07:50 AM
i've been in Naples for a couple days, it's been east breezes and it looks to continue with that pattern, looking like skunk on the gulf side unless the Sanibel crew has gotten lucky. and it looks like the east side might go flat too :-(

nice sunny and warm though :D

It seems like the easterly flow will hold for a few more days. There is wind forecast from now through the weekend on both coasts in the south of the state. Not sure how accurate the sensor is but it looks like Sanibel is rideable currently at around 12 to 15 mph ENE right now.

Here's the NWS forecast for that area:

TODAY
EAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. BAY AND INLAND
WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.

TONIGHT
EAST WINDS 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. BAY AND INLAND
WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

SATURDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. BAY
AND INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

SATURDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. BAY
AND INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

SUNDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. BAY AND
INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

and for the SE Coast:

TODAY
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

TONIGHT
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET
BUILDING TO 4 TO 6 FEET. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS.

SATURDAY
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS.

SATURDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

SUNDAY
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 2 FEET OR
LESS. IN THE GULF STREAM...SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET SUBSIDING TO 2 FEET OR
LESS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A MODERATE CHOP.

Hope you get some wind!

bpchilds
12-27-2008, 09:11 AM
today looks pretty good for wind speed. if anyone knows of something or wants to go call me 413.626.6081. I do have relatives coming in so i might not have that much time.

let me know. i hope during the week something comes up even if i have to take a trip to the east coast.

Brendan

John-
12-28-2008, 07:06 AM
its just not happening :mad:

bpchilds
12-30-2008, 10:48 AM
john-

they are saying 10-15mph WNW for tomorrow (12/31/08) let's try man. I have my 12m it might work. I need to do something i am bored as hell.

Does anyone know where it would be good for WNW?? Or is it even good in Naples with WNW??

Please if someone knows more info on what and where i can go.

Thank you
Brendan

email - bpchilds@gmail.com or call me 413.626.6081

latino
12-31-2008, 06:24 AM
wnw wind

7 ave s naples

Today, Northwest winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas 2 feet or less. Bay and inland waters a light chop.

Tonight
North winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bay and inland waters a light chop.

Thursday
East winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bay and inland waters a light chop.

Thursday Night
East winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Slight chance of showers.

Friday
Southeast winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Slight chance of showers.

Friday Night
South winds around 5 knots becoming northeast. Seas 2 feet or less. Bay and inland waters smooth.

Saturday
Southeast winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas 2 feet or less. Bay and inland waters a light chop.

Saturday Night
Southeast winds 5 to 10 knots becoming 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 feet or less. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Slight chance of showers.

Sunday
Southeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bay and inland waters a light chop. Slight chance of showers.

enrique

latino
12-31-2008, 06:54 AM
wind for tomorow 1/1/2009

sanibel 15 to 17 -ne-ene-1/1/2009 ikitesurfing,,,,,,, 30 to 45mi drive from naples

pompano 18 to 20 -ne - ene-1/1/2009 ikitesurfing ,,,,,,,, one hour and 20mi drive from naples

http://www.ikitesurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=113&Isection=Wind+Forecast&display=daily&model=true&day=1

enrique

John-
12-31-2008, 09:09 AM
cant take it anymore, heading to Jupiter tomorrow AM and hit up Modica for a session :D

bpchilds
12-31-2008, 10:14 AM
John

I know Modica he taught me to kiteboard on Long Island. tell him brendan says hello. Have fun then in Jupiter. They are forecasting 20 mph here in Naples. I will probably give it a try then.

Have a great New Year.

Brendan

latino
12-31-2008, 11:34 AM
hi

20 tomorow in naples ?
you cant kite in naples in east winds go to sanibel and you will have a better day

john
all or most of the kiteborders from naples will go to jupiter or pampano tomorow ,so see you there

enrique