PDA

View Full Version : 50-Knot barrier smashed!

sbckiteboard
09-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Two new world records were set earlier today. American Rob Douglas went 49.9 knots and on the very next run Sebastien Cattelan smashed the 50 knot barrier with a run of 50.1.

Check out sbckiteboard.com (http://www.sbckiteboard.com) for more.

kent
09-19-2008, 02:27 PM
this just in... only Rob Douglas broke the record... his ratified speed was 49.88 knots and SB's time was 49.7 upon review. What kites was Rob using???

Why Crossbow IDS's of course! Good job Rob!

The ASI CREW

BigR
09-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Awesome work Rob!

sooo close to 50... won't be long now for the barrier to come down.

Kent, what size kite was the big dog using?

ricki
09-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Great job Rob! Kent, do you know what the winds were like? I will get in touch with him when he returns to learn more details.

kent
09-19-2008, 05:05 PM
pretty windy, over 42 knots from what I understand. He was on a 7 CB IDS. He thinks that several of them will be going over 50 by the end of the event. We are just hoping that he's the first and the last! I've known Rob for probably 20 years. I used to sponsor him in windsurfing too. If you flip through any windsurf mag or kite mag, you will see that Rob is also giving back to the sports he loves through sponsorship via "The Black Dog".

Rob, if you're listening, we want you in for the Bimini Winds also!!!

Good job Rob!

Kent

ricki
09-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Gebi put this up on kiteforum:

This is the Luderits, Namibia Speed Event's web site with some killer pics, record archives, videos and media article links.

www.luderitz-speed.com

This the first speed board we designed in May 08 (now our boards are a lot narrower and the rocker, rails and outline have been tuned and made quite an evolution). John Amundson shaped the speed needles for us and we are slowly crawling out of the dark on what the boards need to do for us.

Through our testing we are learning what needs to work to make the whole kitesurf package stable enough to keep the power connected to the water. Since then we made 7 more boards and tested about 20 fins.... to arrive at a world record speed. Not at liberty to post dimensions of boards right now.....

Gebi- pit crew chief and bottle washer for Rob Douglas

ricki
09-22-2008, 06:20 AM
Still more from Gebi, including a video of the run ...

It's official the fastest sailor on the planet is kitesurfer Rob Douglas

Video of the world record run!

Sh6vcN7gEek

This kids got serious drive, smarts and talent.

The 50 knot barrier will drop in the next 2 weeks.

reports to come on www.nassp.net

Gebi out
From kiteforum.com

Steve-O
09-23-2008, 07:45 AM
I think it is getting more obvious that Cabrinha is designing some of the best kites in the world. I am loving the new Crossbow IDS kites and I am a diehard Switchblade fan.

kent
09-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I keep waiting for this to come out... but since no one has brought it up yet... who know's the Florida connection to Rob Douglas? anyone, anyone??? a few of you will be pretty red in the face if they don't get this one.

Kent

ricki
09-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I'm already red in the face but it could be too much sun or maybe it was lunch? Could Rob be Birch's lost great grand son and he's back to collect all the land between Oakland Park and Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale? Other than Gebi, his skillful Olympic trainer out of Ft. Pierce, you've got me.

Speaking of red faces, how do you avoid having all the blood run to your head standing upside down all day? Hope things are going well in HK.

kent
09-25-2008, 03:52 AM
ok... Rob has a SW Florida connection. He actually went to Eckerd College in St. Pete... but all of the newby kiters there wouldn't probably know him. Fly the St. Pete flag high!

Kent

thebestkite
10-04-2008, 09:55 PM
Yesterday opening the news paper of this national daily had a big from page picture of the speed record, with a full page two article of the speed event.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/sport/2008/10/04/02001-20081004ARTFIG00251--l-assaut-du-mur-mythique-des-nuds-.php

If you like you can read it in French.
The sport has come a long way, but never have I seen front page news of this caliber

Excellent !!

thebestkite
10-04-2008, 10:17 PM
And here is the actual page 2 picture and story of saturday Oct 4th
in PDF format and a JPEG

:)

BizGuru
10-09-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't think the sailing community is gonna take kitesurfers smashing speed records lying down.

http://www.ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20080907142057ywnews.html

I love how competition drives innovation.

ricki
10-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Great job Rob!!!

A NEW national record and a closE second for the world title!

more;
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2351972