PDA

View Full Version : Can't bare it any longer ... any cheap place for a trip

highroller
08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
I can't bear the summer any longer. I just decided to take a vacation for kiting for a few days and having my wife enroll in some classes so she can learn and be ready for the winter. Any ideas of a good and cheap place to travel for some wind and lessons for my wife. I was looking at Venezuela but its just 600$ a person to get there. Any better ideas?????

highroller
08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
I can't bear the summer any longer. I just decided to take a vacation for kiting for a few days and having my wife enroll in some classes so she can learn and be ready for the winter. Any ideas of a good and cheap place to travel for some wind and lessons for my wife. I was looking at Venezuela but its just 600$ a person to get there. Any better ideas?????

ricki
08-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Unfortunately, later August and September can mean lighter winds in even traditional good wind destinations. Still, with last minute travel and Internet realtime wind reports you may be able to dial in some good prospects.

For this time of year you might consider the Outer Banks or OBX of North Carolina. You can fly into Norfolk, VA on Southwest at a fair rate at times.

You could also look into Corpus Christi also with Southwest or another carrier through your favorite travel engine.

Kste.net has an operation on Nassau these days and talking to AJ I understand that they are frequently having winds in the mid to high teens. I would communicate with them to make sure the wind is still on. You could go direct through the Bahamanian forum on this site for more info.

The ABC islands often offer good consistent wind, still it can shut down this time of year. Of the three islands Aruba may offer the lowest airfare rate and available kiteboarding. There are butter conditions on the leeward side of the island near Fishermens Hut but also gusty offshore winds. You could also get in touch with Armando there about lessons. There are more steady winds on the windward side of the island at Boca Grande. You need a rental car but the rates aren't that bad on the Internet.

La Parguera, Puerto Rico may also offer some wind. You can fly into Mayaguez or San Juan, rent a car and drive on down. You used to be able to go through kste.net there but they may have some ideas for today.

There are some ideas. I hope you don't get skunked by the September calms!

ricki
08-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Unfortunately, later August and September can mean lighter winds in even traditional good wind destinations. Still, with last minute travel and Internet realtime wind reports you may be able to dial in some good prospects.

For this time of year you might consider the Outer Banks or OBX of North Carolina. You can fly into Norfolk, VA on Southwest at a fair rate at times.

You could also look into Corpus Christi also with Southwest or another carrier through your favorite travel engine.

Kste.net has an operation on Nassau these days and talking to AJ I understand that they are frequently having winds in the mid to high teens. I would communicate with them to make sure the wind is still on. You could go direct through the Bahamanian forum on this site for more info.

The ABC islands often offer good consistent wind, still it can shut down this time of year. Of the three islands Aruba may offer the lowest airfare rate and available kiteboarding. There are butter conditions on the leeward side of the island near Fishermens Hut but also gusty offshore winds. You could also get in touch with Armando there about lessons. There are more steady winds on the windward side of the island at Boca Grande. You need a rental car but the rates aren't that bad on the Internet.

La Parguera, Puerto Rico may also offer some wind. You can fly into Mayaguez or San Juan, rent a car and drive on down. You used to be able to go through kste.net there but they may have some ideas for today.

There are some ideas. I hope you don't get skunked by the September calms!

highroller
08-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the advice Rick, I will keep searching this weekend and I will post anything I find

highroller
08-17-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the advice Rick, I will keep searching this weekend and I will post anything I find