PDA

View Full Version : Practical Advice For Paralysis Victims Of KB Accidents

ricki
08-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Many of us are familar with Claudio Silva's accident and subsequent events. I have also spoken with Claudio about his accident and recovery. Others among us may also remember Carolina Diaz, the 16 year old girl at the time, who suffered a severed spine in a kiting accident. I have recently learned of another paralysis victim of a kiteboarding accident. This man is not expected to regain movement below his waist. I will likely give him a call in hospital later on today to say hello and express support at the request of his friend.

The psychological impact and uncertainty of recovery in these cases can be devestating both for the victim but also for his family and friends. We may see more such temporarily or permanent paralyzed survivors of neural trauma from kiteboarding accidents. It would be good to discuss some considerations for after the initial critical phase of treatment and to delve into recovery and/or adapting to a change in mobility and all its impacts on the survivor. For some adaptive sports can offer some solice at some point, for others dedication and drive in rehab can deliver recovery of some mobility. Maintaining emotional well being both in the survivor and with loved ones is very important and also challenging. Practical advice along these lines would be helpful.

ricki
08-15-2005, 08:54 AM
Many of us are familar with Claudio Silva's accident and subsequent events. I have also spoken with Claudio about his accident and recovery. Others among us may also remember Carolina Diaz, the 16 year old girl at the time, who suffered a severed spine in a kiting accident. I have recently learned of another paralysis victim of a kiteboarding accident. This man is not expected to regain movement below his waist. I will likely give him a call in hospital later on today to say hello and express support at the request of his friend.

The psychological impact and uncertainty of recovery in these cases can be devestating both for the victim but also for his family and friends. We may see more such temporarily or permanent paralyzed survivors of neural trauma from kiteboarding accidents. It would be good to discuss some considerations for after the initial critical phase of treatment and to delve into recovery and/or adapting to a change in mobility and all its impacts on the survivor. For some adaptive sports can offer some solice at some point, for others dedication and drive in rehab can deliver recovery of some mobility. Maintaining emotional well being both in the survivor and with loved ones is very important and also challenging. Practical advice along these lines would be helpful.