PDA

View Full Version : Neck fracture in Miami yesterday?

ricki
08-19-2008, 12:15 PM
I just received word that an experienced kiteboarder suffered a serious neck fracture yesterday in Miami, possibly on Miami Beach. He is in hospital and thankfully has not suffered paralysis from reports. I wish him the best in a full recovery. Can anyone provide more information on what happened?

Once again, stay away from squalls. Life is too short to throw your health away for a short tense session with an uncertain outcome.

gipseysurfer
08-19-2008, 01:05 PM
http://cbs4.com/video/?id=60582@wfor.dayport.com

what were these riders thinking going out in stormy almost on shore wind?

ricki
08-19-2008, 01:21 PM
http://cbs4.com/video/?id=60582@wfor.dayport.com

what were these riders thinking going out in stormy almost on shore wind?

I think that is the clip showing the Ft. Lauderdale accident. There was another clip from South Beach on Ch. 4's website yesterday. Just found it at:

http://cbs4.com/video/?id=60514@wfor.dayport.com

It could be one of the guys shown. The newscaster did make a telling statement at around 3' 07" something about people using their brains and staying out of the water ... (EXCEPT) the kiteboarders.

Jur
08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
I was on the beach yesterday when this happened. It was Miami Beach, 3rd street.

A squall came in, guys were getting of the water and apparently (I only saw the dragging part) two kites collided in the air, which resulted in this guy being dragged at high speed over the beach.

After about 20 or 30 yards he came to a stop against one of those storage places for beach chairs.

Several guys ran up to him and his kite, the guy who got to him first released the quick release, another guy jumped on the kite, and fortunately that's when the disaster was stopped.

Guy seemed all right, with pain in his neck area. Fortunately he went to see a doctor. Heard this morning that he fractured one or more bones in his neck and they put some screws in.

Eventhough the injuries are already serious enough, I am happy that nothing more serious happened.

I wish him all the best of luck and hope to hear his story.

ricki
08-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the information Jur. Was the rider dragged by both kites or just one of them? Also, what would you guess the time and rough wind speed were? Great to hear he is already through with the surgery and is healing.

Thanks again

Jur
08-19-2008, 01:47 PM
He was just dragged by his own kite. I think the time was around 4.30.

Mike T
08-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Jur
I think you have two accidents in the Miami, Ft Lauderdale area because what they are showing on CNN today the guy didn't hit a storage box. He got lofted and slammed on the beach and then picked up again and flew across
A1A and hit the side of a building! I can see everyone wanting to get out when it's windy and extreme but on shore in gusty winds doesn't sound to safe to me! The latest on CNN is the guy is in critical condition at a local hospital. This accident is being broadcast nation wide, what do you think the city officials are going to do about kiting on the area beaches? Are stunts like this going to get area's banned? Something to ponder, You know the saying It only takes one FUBAR to ruin it for everyone! Kite well and kite safe! I hope the guy is okay. Mike

highroller
08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
but I have seen it all over the news myself. I think this might make regulation I bit hard for kitesurfing in Miami.

ricki
08-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Guys, we are dealing with TWO accidents that happened within the same hour about 25 miles apart. Both were caused by squall gusts associated with TS Fay. I don't know about you but I've been pelted with feeder band squall gusts from 25 to 50 mph about every 1/2 hour since yesterday! Why would any sensible adult expose themselves to such an obvious hazard with potential harsh consequences for the sport (and themselves)?

We have to get a grip on weather for the health of our sport and some participants fast.

Just learned more about this accident from one of the first responders:

The responder ran up to the chairs which the kiter had slammed into. He felt a pain in his neck and was instructed not to move and get to the hospital pronto. The responder spoke with him this morning. He said he had screws put into his neck and will keep them for several months. He had not suffered any paralysis despite breaking his neck. He said it wasn't his fault as he was landing his kite when his bar got tangled with the lines of another kite already on the ground? As the high wind was sliding unattended kites around, maybe one was blown across the ground and into his lines? The other kite was unattended and was said not to have left the ground. This part is unclear. The man was lofted by his kite, the other kite didn't launch by the report and lofted him near to the chair storage box. He was observed to hang on to the bar not attempting to emergency depower. The kiter learned how to ride in March of this year through a certified instructor.

I hope to learn more about what happened and put it up soon.