PDA

View Full Version : helmet-SWEET"rocker" ......where to buy?

Rodan'sWings
08-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Anyone have one of these? I would like to try one on before making the $200-250 jump. Im in the Bradenton FL area.
sweet helmets:
http://www.sweet.no/0302/index.htm

Rodan'sWings
08-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Anyone have one of these? I would like to try one on before making the $200-250 jump. Im in the Bradenton FL area.
sweet helmets:

ricki
08-01-2005, 11:25 AM
sweet helmets:

They don't identify dealers in the USA on the Sweet website. You could send them an email asking for more info in that regard. I did find one USA website advertising the Rocker at:

http://www.rockcreek.com/products/listing/item3825.asp

ricki
08-01-2005, 11:25 AM
sweet helmets:

They don't identify dealers in the USA on the Sweet website. You could send them an email asking for more info in that regard. I did find one USA website advertising the Rocker at:

http://www.rockcreek.com/products/listing/item3825.asp

Polaris
08-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Why would you want to use a snowboard helmet? There are plenty of water sport helmets out there. I also wakeboard and surf. I use my Pro Tec, Ace Wake helmet for the wake and take off the ear pads when I go mountain biking or skateboarding. Consider these options.
Ace Wake: $47.00 / www.protechelmets.com, www.shredready.com, nice helmets and the
Gath Surf helmet, www.gathsports.com. The Gath are not the coolest looking but they do the job. You won’t look very cool after you hit some rocks without one. The point is to wear a helmet but this is a “Water Sport”. If you ride something more xtreem, try the Bell Moto X full face!
By the way Rick..What do you think of a barefoot water ski suit as an impact vest. It seems to be more comfortable. www.barts.com

Polaris
08-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Why would you want to use a snowboard helmet? There are plenty of water sport helmets out there. I also wakeboard and surf. I use my Pro Tec, Ace Wake helmet for the wake and take off the ear pads when I go mountain biking or skateboarding. Consider these options.
Ace Wake: $47.00 / www.protechelmets.com, www.shredready.com, nice helmets and the
Gath Surf helmet, www.gathsports.com. The Gath are not the coolest looking but they do the job. You won’t look very cool after you hit some rocks without one. The point is to wear a helmet but this is a “Water Sport”. If you ride something more xtreem, try the Bell Moto X full face!
By the way Rick..What do you think of a barefoot water ski suit as an impact vest. It seems to be more comfortable. www.barts.com

ricki
08-01-2005, 03:23 PM

It is hard to tell the construction of the barefoot water ski suits from the website info that I saw. I do remember seeing some wetsuits at Surf Expo several years ago with built in flotation. In effect they looked like an impact vest integrated with a wetsuit. They should provide the warmth of an impact vest only more so than a shorty anyway. They may also provide at least as much flotation. If the padding is heavy enough they may even provide the impact protection. I would say to give it a go and see what you think.

ricki
08-01-2005, 03:23 PM

It is hard to tell the construction of the barefoot water ski suits from the website info that I saw. I do remember seeing some wetsuits at Surf Expo several years ago with built in flotation. In effect they looked like an impact vest integrated with a wetsuit. They should provide the warmth of an impact vest only more so than a shorty anyway. They may also provide at least as much flotation. If the padding is heavy enough they may even provide the impact protection. I would say to give it a go and see what you think.

Rodan'sWings
08-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Polaris if you read the website you will have noticed that the Sweet "Rocker" IS a watersports specific helmet. In a high speed impact, the Gath will protect your scalp OK but your skull will crack like an eggshell. From what ive read, most KBoarding head injury deaths occur on land at high speeds hitting concrete or wood.....this is similar to snowboarding/skiing head injurys. The Gath was designed for surfers riding reefbreaks. A surfers head is traveling through water before impact, which slows head speed down real good(more dense than air) Also it has to be compact to reduce drag inhibiting neck injury.

Sweet helmets have multiple layers of pretection. Gath has 1-2 layers, a poly shell and a thin soft foam interior liner. The sweet helmet is also used by extreme white water kayakers.

Rodan'sWings
08-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Polaris if you read the website you will have noticed that the Sweet "Rocker" IS a watersports specific helmet. In a high speed impact, the Gath will protect your scalp OK but your skull will crack like an eggshell. From what ive read, most KBoarding head injury deaths occur on land at high speeds hitting concrete or wood.....this is similar to snowboarding/skiing head injurys. The Gath was designed for surfers riding reefbreaks. A surfers head is traveling through water before impact, which slows head speed down real good(more dense than air) Also it has to be compact to reduce drag inhibiting neck injury.

Sweet helmets have multiple layers of pretection. Gath has 1-2 layers, a poly shell and a thin soft foam interior liner. The sweet helmet is also used by extreme white water kayakers.

Polaris
08-05-2005, 01:20 PM
RW,
I see that it’s a water sports helmet but it’s for “white water” kayaking or rafting. I’m sure that you could hit a rock at full force (if your into that stuff). I did wakeboard with a product similar to the Sweet Rocker and found it to be too much. But that’s me. I’m comfortable with the Ace Wake and a friend of mine is with the Gath. You posted the question as inquiring about a specific product (that you didn’t know about.) I presented informed options based on experience. Now I see that you know more than you let on, but that’s O.K.

The most important thing is that we need to ALL wear helmets!! (even a moto X type if you want)

Bye the way. I saw your site and loved your artwork. Ever thought of kiteboard and kite graphics. What’s out there is really boring. I think your style would work on this.

Polaris
08-05-2005, 01:20 PM
RW,
I see that it’s a water sports helmet but it’s for “white water” kayaking or rafting. I’m sure that you could hit a rock at full force (if your into that stuff). I did wakeboard with a product similar to the Sweet Rocker and found it to be too much. But that’s me. I’m comfortable with the Ace Wake and a friend of mine is with the Gath. You posted the question as inquiring about a specific product (that you didn’t know about.) I presented informed options based on experience. Now I see that you know more than you let on, but that’s O.K.

The most important thing is that we need to ALL wear helmets!! (even a moto X type if you want)

Bye the way. I saw your site and loved your artwork. Ever thought of kiteboard and kite graphics. What’s out there is really boring. I think your style would work on this.

Rodan'sWings
08-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the compliments on my art Polaris, and yes i would like to do Kite related art, im still a kiteboarding novice having only kited for almost two years so i feel im ready now to create some kite art, now that i know the basics about kiting.
BTW I must make a confession, i use an old Gath helmet when i kite. Its all i have right now. Originally i planned to use this Gath for surfing reef breaks in lands far away, but since i kite more than i surf, i use it for kiteboarding which will protect me minimally(hopefully maximally untill i get a better helmet) Yes, you are correct, a helmet is better than no helmet .........PERIOD.

-Phil

Rodan'sWings
08-08-2005, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the compliments on my art Polaris, and yes i would like to do Kite related art, im still a kiteboarding novice having only kited for almost two years so i feel im ready now to create some kite art, now that i know the basics about kiting.
BTW I must make a confession, i use an old Gath helmet when i kite. Its all i have right now. Originally i planned to use this Gath for surfing reef breaks in lands far away, but since i kite more than i surf, i use it for kiteboarding which will protect me minimally(hopefully maximally untill i get a better helmet) Yes, you are correct, a helmet is better than no helmet .........PERIOD.

-Phil

ricki
08-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Nice artwork RW! You should consider working up some kiteboarding themes. It would be great to see what you come up with. There is even a forum for it at:

http://fksa.org/viewforum.php?f=87

ricki
08-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Nice artwork RW! You should consider working up some kiteboarding themes. It would be great to see what you come up with. There is even a forum for it at:

http://fksa.org/viewforum.php?f=87

Rodan'sWings
08-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Yeah GREAT site Rick i didnt know you have an art forum page too.......ill post some art when i figure out how to do it.

:D

Rodan'sWings
08-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Yeah GREAT site Rick i didnt know you have an art forum page too.......ill post some art when i figure out how to do it.

:D

chui
08-09-2005, 03:28 PM
The rocker is a nice helmet but man is it expensive..

I know itll be worth that much and more under circumstances, but I cant see shelling out that much for a helmet. Its hypocritical but Id spend much more on a motorcycle helmet.

here's one a little more in my price range.
http://www.extremekiteshop.com/kites/extreme-kitesurf-helmet-p-266.html

the protec wake helmet's nice too.

I guess in the end at least you're wearing a helmet....

chui
08-09-2005, 03:28 PM
The rocker is a nice helmet but man is it expensive..

I know itll be worth that much and more under circumstances, but I cant see shelling out that much for a helmet. Its hypocritical but Id spend much more on a motorcycle helmet.

here's one a little more in my price range.
http://www.extremekiteshop.com/kites/extreme-kitesurf-helmet-p-266.html

the protec wake helmet's nice too.

I guess in the end at least you're wearing a helmet....

Brainbucket
07-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Check out the new helmet lines from Gath, they have improved style and performance. I found them at www.murrays.com