PDA

View Full Version : Rules

Skyway Scott
07-02-2008, 09:12 AM
I will be surprised if we don't get some sort of regulation within a year at one of our beaches.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20080630-9999-1m30kites.html

Tom Stock
07-02-2008, 09:22 AM
The kite knocked off Mires' hat, then a cord wrapped around the neck of his 10-year-old daughter, Tapanga, who had waded over for a better look. Mires, quickly untangled the cord and freed her.

“All I could see mentally . . . was that it could cut her at the neck or worse,” Mires said. “I thought. 'Oh my God. I have to get her out of it.' It bounced again and more wires came down on her but I got her.”

After the incident, Mires' father, also named Ron Mires, wrote a letter to the general manager of the Coronado Cays, who forwarded the letter to city officials. The letter was then sent to state parks officials, who began working with the Coronado Cays Home Owners Association and kite surfers to come up with the new rules.

If that 10yr old had been seriously hurt or killed they no doubt be coming up with a ban instead of just rules...

toby wilson
07-02-2008, 02:26 PM
I don't think regulation will come if we continue to police ourselves the way we have. I think bans are more likely in other parts of the state. Because this areas riders put such an emphasis on safety and help the newer riders understand how important being safe is, we are labelled by other riders in other parts of the state as being too vocal. In my opinion, we are just good at communication and I think that will play in our favor. We have Jim Wilson on our side so at least Fort Desoto is safe. He knows how much we care about safety and I think he respects us for that. So I think a ban or regulations (other than self-regulation) is still pretty far off for our area...Just my opinion...

Tom Stock
07-02-2008, 02:54 PM
I think PAG and T.I. are likely to face bans.

A few months ago I watched a well known long time rider on a down winder from PAG. He rode directly through obviously marked swim zones, actually jumping kids. He (appeared to have) intentionally sprayed a young kid in the face, and then botched a jump and kicked the board off, missing another kid's head by a few feet with the board.

Parents were pissed, and a lot of people were jumping up and down yelling and cursing, and a few people were talking about calling the cops... and the rider...saw them, ignored them, and continued down wind through the swim zone jumping.

If he had come to shore there would have been a fight with some of the beach goers I am fairly sure of it.

So much for our self regulation, East Beach is just one place and it lacks swim zones and swimmers.

Self regulation ultimately means people regulating themselves and not everyone is willing to do it.

toby wilson
07-02-2008, 03:56 PM
My money is still on no regulation for quite some time...

TBKA
07-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Peace
www.tbka.org (http://www.tbka.org)

bryanleighty
07-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Not to kick the dead horse for the 100000th time.. but anyone that does not think this is inevitable for some of our primary beaches is smoking something fierce.

The one thing in our favor is that *most* of our best beach days are those that are too windy for the huge crowds. obviously there are those days where its a wall to wall people and that perfect seabreeze is just enough for us, but not enough to swirl the sand in all the beach-goers faces.

I've seen behavior exactly like Tom describes.. agressive and intentional ..

Look how much press the sport got locally when that kid got lofted into the power lines. That was just a solo rider injury. Imagine how it would be if a non-rider got hurt.

But I agree that the argument could be (if it was a result of someone showboating and getting another hurt) that it was the fault of that solo rider not being safe and not a problem of the sport as a whole.. while that may sit fine in our minds.. it will not sit fine in the publics minds. People are f**king crazy. They read one headline and freak out. It would be a mess. Ban or regulations or whatever.. it would be a massive headache for all..

and.. thats my soapbox speil for the month.

I think PAG and T.I. are likely to face bans.

A few months ago I watched a well known long time rider on a down winder from PAG. He rode directly through obviously marked swim zones, actually jumping kids. He (appeared to have) intentionally sprayed a young kid in the face, and then botched a jump and kicked the board off, missing another kid's head by a few feet with the board.

Parents were pissed, and a lot of people were jumping up and down yelling and cursing, and a few people were talking about calling the cops... and the rider...saw them, ignored them, and continued down wind through the swim zone jumping.

If he had come to shore there would have been a fight with some of the beach goers I am fairly sure of it.

So much for our self regulation, East Beach is just one place and it lacks swim zones and swimmers.

Self regulation ultimately means people regulating themselves and not everyone is willing to do it.

Optionryder420
07-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Uhhh... if they ban you guys, ride there anyways.

How are they going to catch you doing a downwinder all the way down to PaG?

inferno
07-03-2008, 09:49 AM

thats jsut the mentality we do not need in our area

bayflite
07-03-2008, 10:01 AM

kevin,

marine patrol can and will be on you in minutes.
don't kid yourself.
l8r

Unimog Bob
07-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Marine patrol rocks! St pete beach has a boat too and every so often they need to fine someone or sieze something to pay for fuel. Don't ask

Tom Stock
07-03-2008, 02:49 PM
My money is still on no regulation for quite some time...

Since we've already been banned twice, you may as well pay up. :) How much $ we talkin' about here? heh

DJ HiPPiE
07-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Well since i'm still just a casual observer to all of this I will say that what I have seen out at sunset is a tendency to be overcautious....And if you ask me....That's exactly how it needs to be.

Now granted sunset is a pretty small beach and has few people out there during the week....But I have watched most of the riders out there take every precaution possible....It seems like there is always someone onshore to help people with launching and landing their kites....Riders use the north side of the beach and usually keep a pretty good distance from the shoreline.

Everyone that I have talked to out there has always been quick to explain how dangerous this sport can be....And I like to think with that kind of attitude this area will be able to keep going out without problems....Although with everything you will always have one or two that will try and push their luck.

toby wilson
07-03-2008, 08:20 PM
kevin,

marine patrol can and will be on you in minutes.
don't kid yourself.
l8r

AGREED 100%!!!

Marine patrol does ROCK! I remember losing a BRAND NEW 16M Octane in the Gulf last year when my CL broke (old bar) and they went out and retrieved it for me...(because they got like 10,000 calls that someone was drowning from people in the beach condos, but they DID get it for me and return it to me regardless...). They are out there to help, we don't need to be breaking rules or bans (should they be put in place) for that matter or we will just create a bad vibe with them. NOT COOL.

And Tom, the bet is going forward for one year from today. I bet that we will have no future bans for between 7/3/2008 and 7/2/2009...name your price if yer takin'. 5 kite pump ups, NO electric pump use? LOL

Tom Stock
07-03-2008, 09:40 PM
5 pumps sounds fair. I hope I lose!

inferno
07-03-2008, 10:12 PM
hey tom, for i small fee i can guarantee you when :)

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
07-03-2008, 11:04 PM
My not-so candy coated opinion-
If you cant perform a basic skills test ,you shouldn't be on the water.(basically Level 2 in IKO or PASA) which includes:
correct kite setup/ launch selection
safety leash rigged properly (with QR)
launch/land properly (with hand signals)
board retrieval (body drag)
self rescue

This should be taught in the FIRST 3 hour water lesson, if you didn't get this in your lesson, you were ripped off. Call your instructor and have them finish their lesson (free) or give you a refund. After all, if everyone took (or taught) a complete lesson, there would be no problem. Forget about riding the board and learn the basics....

I offer the above mentioned skills observation for 25 bux, which certifies your skill level. You are then eligible to purchase IKO isurance for 89.00, of which 8.90 goes to your local association (when you use affiliation code i3481).

Harness tags- already working in Australia and New South Wales, comes with a numbered membership card. IKO insurance is also a part of their membership package. I have new policy details from Lloyds'.

There's a serious need for more instructors this upcoming season, if you would like to obtain IKO certification as an assistant or instructor, please let me know ASAP. Instructors insurance is finally affordable- no more excuses for uncertified/uninsured instructors on our beaches.

Sunset Beach is a very tight launch area, you guys should be drift launching well away from shore and swimmers on busy days. We also need established riding areas for kiters and windsurfers before the start of the season.

Steve Sadler

ricki
07-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Sorry to jump in but the topic has been one of interest for many years. Playing keep away and giving the authorities the finger or equivalent has been responsible for hassles for sometime including actual bans. One guy on this coast thought he could out run the police, first on the water and then on the beach? No one said the guys causing these problems were necessarily all that bright after all. You can see why at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=255

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
07-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Thats a good example Rick. Despite 4 years of effort, bans are still happening over there due to selfish idiots.
It boils down to safe kiters uniting and creating a standard. Getting the experienced kiters to ride safer isn't that difficult either, it just takes standing up to them to protect your right to kite, regardless of friendships or "status".
It also takes the mfgs., distributors and shops to control their team riders. That is accomplished through the buying power of safe kiters, making those businesses realize that their longetivity in the industry depends on promoting safe kiting practices by safe kiters.
For instructors, their certifying organization (IKO, PASA) should be willing to assist in making sure that their instructors are teaching a complete lesson in a safe location. Thats what they were created for.
The basic skills test covers new kiters and those who didn't get proper training, so all the bases are covered- Newbies, Hot-doggers, Instructors, Pros. Obtaining certified instruction would be a standard to enter the sport, and taking enough lessons to cover the basics would be "the standard"
the way it should be...

Our efforts with TBKA and its parent organization,ASF (Action Sports Foundation) include basic skills testing, promoting personal responsibility, and working with the authorities to build a solid relationship for the future. We are structured to include other associations and will be able to support their efforts through ASF.
Creating a local association is quite simple and does not require the headache of obtaining non-profit status. It takes 4 local kiters and a little bit of effort.
An organized effort during this windless summer could really make a difference in the upcoming season.
A network of safe kiters can make a much bigger difference on the beaches than anything else previously suggested. Having a trade association to work with safe kiters who are trying to make a difference would be a major bonus also.
I am always open an exchange of ideas and solutions and encourage concerned kiters to speak up to find a suitable solution to these ongoing problems.
Regardless of what solutions are attempted, TBKA and ASF will support those efforts in any way possible.
(813) 389-3683

DJ HiPPiE
07-04-2008, 12:51 PM
My not-so candy coated opinion-
If you cant perform a basic skills test ,you shouldn't be on the water.(basically Level 2 in IKO or PASA) which includes:
correct kite setup/ launch selection
safety leash rigged properly (with QR)
launch/land properly (with hand signals)
board retrieval (body drag)
self rescue

This should be taught in the FIRST 3 hour water lesson, if you didn't get this in your lesson, you were ripped off. Call your instructor and have them finish their lesson (free) or give you a refund. After all, if everyone took (or taught) a complete lesson, there would be no problem. Forget about riding the board and learn the basics....

I offer the above mentioned skills observation for 25 bux, which certifies your skill level. You are then eligible to purchase IKO isurance for 89.00, of which 8.90 goes to your local association (when you use affiliation code i3481).

Harness tags- already working in Australia and New South Wales, comes with a numbered membership card. IKO insurance is also a part of their membership package. I have new policy details from Lloyds'.

There's a serious need for more instructors this upcoming season, if you would like to obtain IKO certification as an assistant or instructor, please let me know ASAP. Instructors insurance is finally affordable- no more excuses for uncertified/uninsured instructors on our beaches.

Sunset Beach is a very tight launch area, you guys should be drift launching well away from shore and swimmers on busy days. We also need established riding areas for kiters and windsurfers before the start of the season.

Steve Sadler

I don't think i've really ever seen any riders out at sunset when it's real busy....It's gets pretty packed out there on the weekends.

Thanks for the info about the skills observations....I'll be looking you once once i've had my lessons.

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
07-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Sunset's about to be bombarded with windsurfers with the closing of Howard Park. We are going to make an effort to better relations, and a beach cleanup/cookout there is being planned for August. Hopefully, we can get some windsurfers interested in helping out and get a thumb's up from the park to do a cleanup.

DJ HiPPiE
07-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Sunset's about to be bombarded with windsurfers with the closing of Howard Park. We are going to make an effort to better relations, and a beach cleanup/cookout there is being planned for August. Hopefully, we can get some windsurfers interested in helping out and get a thumb's up from the park to do a cleanup.

Well you can count me in for that one....I live about 5 minutes from there.

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
07-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Good deal, there's a discussion about guidelines for Sunset Beach going on at www.tbka.org.
If you are having trouble viewing the info, try signing up in the forum area. That will allow you to view more of the site and participate in the discussions.