PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of board leashes (reel type)

Tom Stock
06-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Long version:

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2348931

Short version:

http://www.kiteforum.com/download/file.php?id=19575

toby wilson
06-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Dude, that picture is B.R.U.T.A.L., BRUTAL!!!

Danimal8199
06-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Wow

Tom Stock
06-26-2008, 03:48 PM
I know right... yeeeeeouch! $20K worth of mouth damage there to save a $500 board. Just doesn't seem right. Poor girl got jacked.

Wolfie
06-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Nothing quite drives it home like a picture!

slipp007
06-29-2008, 07:25 PM
I have been using a 6' static leash....is that safe?

Danimal8199
06-29-2008, 09:58 PM
I don't think anyone on here will tell you that a board leash is safe. Even a static board leash, I'm assuming one with no stretch, still poses the risk of the sling shot effect... If you are being dragged and suddenly stop you board will still be moving, until it gets stopped by something which can sometimes be your face!

Its physics, one of newton's laws of motion...

Tom Stock
06-29-2008, 10:17 PM
No, it is not safe, my advice is DITCH IT.

I have been riding for over 3 years now (not saying that is long) and have NEVER lost a board. The reason is because body dragging is easy and even while falling or getting dragged I am making note of my board's location.

If you are concerned about loosing your board in the gulf, use a gojo (is that what it's called? I can't remember) instead of a leash. Could save your life or at a minimum your teeth!

Write your name and phone # on your board.

toby wilson
06-30-2008, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I agree with Danny and Tom, DITCH YOUR BOARD LEASH!!! You can hurt yourself or someone else dragging a board behind you when you crash. The way I look at it is #1 - you have NO NEED for a board leash in this sport - like Tom said, I too have been riding for just about 2 1/2 to 3 years now and also have NEVER lost a board. Even if you did, $500 - $900 to replace your board is a lot less expensive than physical damage to yourself, others or even death... #2 - you will gain a LOT...and I mean a LOT more respect from the rest of the locals NOT using a board leash as most of us out here see it as dangerous to yourself and others when you use one and basically as someone just being too plain lazy to learn to body drag upwind. #3 - as Tom stated, you have other safer options such as the Ocean Rodeo Go-Joe. If you are interested in a Go-Joe, PM bayflite and I am sure he would be more than happy to sell you one. Toss that leash bro...

Danimal8199
06-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Just wanted to weigh in one more time. If you are concerned with not being able to body drag back to your board in the gulf I suggest this:

#1 I'm always trying new stuff which means I'm always getting seperated from my board.

Sometimes in the gulf I too have ahard time getting back to my board. Like Tom said though, I am consistently spotting my board as its falling off.

If I am having a hard time getting back to it, I just body drag back to shore, locate my board in the water, and walk up or down the beach to a position where I can body drag back to it.

Plus learning to body drag to your board is a must know skill for a self sustaining kiter.

Tom Stock
06-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Yeah seems a few of us are in agreement. A couple of more tips....

When changing directions, use the kite to lift you up from the water so you can see over the waves to spot your board. Don't look for the foot straps.. it may be upside down.

Count to a number on each leg of the search... this way you know how far you are going with each tack. For example, count to 10 on the first (half) leg then 20 for each (full) leg after that. This will ensure your board is between your tacks and that you aren't drifting off too far in one direction.

Do not make the legs too long or you will miss the board between them.

Keep your arm out front of your face just in case you drag INTO it without seeing it.

Using the above method you can even find your board a night ... or locate a shark which is also nice if you are one for adventure.

CodyKeats
06-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Coincidentally, I had a conversation with a kite rep/team rider about board leashes earlier today. She strongly advised against using them. Particularly in the surf, you run the risk of the leash wrapping around your kite lines. So even if the board doesn't hit you, you may be toast.

(OBX has been ripping for the past 4 days.)

BigR
07-01-2008, 05:51 AM
Particularly in the surf, you run the risk of the leash wrapping around your kite lines.

Thats a good one mate , you made me laugh there :rolleyes:

Tom Stock
07-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Sounds entirely plausible to me. I've tumbled through my lines many many times during a very hard fall. With a leash it would have been disastrous.

I've even had my board tangle by the foot strap on an outside line, dangling 20 feet over my head as the kite launched ... I had to pull hard on the opposite site of the bar to keep my kite from going into uncontrolled kite loops, board still attached. That was scary as hell.

If it can happen, it will, eventually.

inferno
07-01-2008, 11:20 AM
always fun when you crash on a mega loop, then the kite slams into the water at mach1 and throws you through the air, and as your flying you look down and see that you are going over your own kite lines.....

bryanleighty
07-01-2008, 01:09 PM
there are a number of local users that still consistently ride with one.. even at a launch like backside or east beach..

completely and utterly ridiculous..

"but i dont jump" they say.. where the proper response is "then you wont ever loser your board".. whereas they reply "but i lose my board all the time".. which is EXACTLY what you hope they say so you can drive home the point that its even more imperative they do NOT use a leash as they apparently are not at the skill level to simply keep the board on their feet much less how to control their potentially lethal anchor they are always dragging behind them during their failed riding attempts.

but some will never listen...

alas.

Danimal8199
07-01-2008, 05:50 PM
Do you guys remember when I got hit in the head because of my board leash?

I don't because I was out cold...

nah just kidding, that didn't happen because I don't use a board leash! :D

toby wilson
07-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Snowboarders don't wear leashes do they? How about wakeboarders? So why Kiteboarding equipment even includes leashes or better yet why kite shops SELL kiteboarding leashes I just don't understand.

Tom Stock
07-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Good point. Probably because we originated from surfing, not wake boarding.

I agree, leashes should be more strongly discouraged.

inferno
07-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Snowboarders don't wear leashes do they? How about wakeboarders? So why Kiteboarding equipment even includes leashes or better yet why kite shops SELL kiteboarding leashes I just don't understand.

snow boards are designed not to come off your feet....
and when you wipe out on a wake board the boat doesnt continue to drag you another 100ft....
:D

but i agree they are dnagerous and give a false sense of security....

toby wilson
07-02-2008, 03:37 PM
...my point exactly. So if a wakeboarder is okay swimming back to their board, or on a bad wipeout snowboarders are okay walking back upor down the slope some to their board then why aren't kiteboarders okay being drug back to their board???