PDA

View Full Version : Decent East Wind this Week?!

jaco
06-23-2008, 06:30 AM
Check out the Marine Forecast! Looks like it might be ridable...but from the East. I'm down here in Sarasota, and suggestions on where to ride on an East?

GMZ853-873-231600-
/O.ROU.KTBW.MA.F.0000.000000T0000Z-000000T0000Z/
ENGLEWOOD TO TARPON SPRINGS OUT 20 NM-
ENGLEWOOD TO TARPON SPRINGS OUT 20 TO 60 NM-
359 AM EDT MON JUN 23 2008

TODAY
WEST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY AND INLAND
WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS IN THE MORNING...THEN
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

TONIGHT
WIND VARIABLE LESS THAN 5 KNOTS BECOMING EAST 5 TO
10 KNOTS AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A
LIGHT CHOP. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

TUESDAY
NORTHEAST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET. BAY AND
INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS THROUGH THE
DAY.

TUESDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET. BAY AND INLAND
WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS THROUGH THE NIGHT.

WEDNESDAY
EAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET. BAY AND INLAND
WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.
BAY AND INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

THURSDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY AND
INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

THURSDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. BAY
AND INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

FRIDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY
AND INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

BigR
06-23-2008, 06:36 AM
No, it ain't happening here 'cept for t-storms.

your best bet is to burn some fossil fuels and head to the keys or hatterras

Danimal8199
06-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Big R is right. Unless there is a sea breeze forget about it....

I wouldn't give any weight to any forecast this time of year.

Can't wait for the cable park to open!

rigger
06-23-2008, 09:06 AM
We do have weather pattern to bring us wind in the summer. pressure gradients, TS, off shore hurricanes low pressures and of course the SB. All are almost certain to happen through out the summer. All survival techniques during our "dry" season. Just gotta be willing to chase a little and get skunked.. Last summer (relatively speaking) really was not all that bad. Something will come soon.

Danimal8199
06-23-2008, 09:58 AM
We do have weather pattern to bring us wind in the summer. pressure gradients, TS, off shore hurricanes low pressures and of course the SB. All are almost certain to happen through out the summer.

I'd like to know where all of this happens because I spent every weekend at the beach and/or chasing sucker wind last summer only to ride 2 or 3 times from June until September. I wouldn't recommend riding in thunderstorms...

Danimal8199
06-23-2008, 01:01 PM
We had quite a few weeks of pretty consistent and predictable East winds that happened in the late afternoon in the Skyway area last summer. The wind would go from 10 knots straight to 25 (sometimes 30 plus) and then blow for hours.
I don't remember any sea breezes.

Ok Rigger, SS, here is my phone number, when this happens, and if you think about it, 407-902-8484. I'm a junkie, I need my fix.

I get tired of checking sensors at work, as you know, it can be depressing :(

Danny

Danimal8199
06-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Yeah I remember that very well.

I was out the day Chris got popped, but didn't rig until after the front moved through and the same thing the day Gabe got lofted at the skyway, waited to rig at LP until the line moved through...

So I can agree we will get those days late august early sept, but what do I do until then????

BigR
06-23-2008, 03:08 PM
burn some fossil fuels, take a trip to where its windy

or take up fishing

TBKA
06-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Danimal- Here's a good no-wind fix for ya:

http://tbka.org/forum/index.php/topic,146.0.html (http://tbka.org/forum/index.php/topic,146.0.html %20imal)

jim
06-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Yep Scott I remember it was last august and I drove up tho the SW for evening east wind and was going to rig my 19 and you said rig the 15 sure enough it came up really fast to overpowered on the 15. Why that wind pattern that time of year-has it been like that several years in a row?

bayflite
06-23-2008, 10:05 PM
east winds rock.
our 2nd best direction IMO.
predictable.
flat water rocks!
rig small.
4get it btween lunch 2 dusk.
sunset sesh @E/skyway...epic!
yeayah baybah

jaco
06-24-2008, 06:35 AM
Well..here's the latest...

GMZ853-873-241500-
/O.ROU.KTBW.MA.F.0000.000000T0000Z-000000T0000Z/
ENGLEWOOD TO TARPON SPRINGS OUT 20 NM-
ENGLEWOOD TO TARPON SPRINGS OUT 20 TO 60 NM-
410 AM EDT TUE JUN 24 2008

TODAY
NORTHEAST WINDS AROUND 5 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY AND
INLAND WATERS SMOOTH. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS THROUGH THE DAY.

TONIGHT
EAST WINDS AROUND 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY AND INLAND
WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS THROUGH THE NIGHT.

WEDNESDAY
EAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY AND
INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS THROUGH THE DAY.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET.
BAY AND INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

THURSDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY AND
INLAND WATERS A MODERATE CHOP. SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS.

THURSDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO
4 FEET. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

FRIDAY
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 3 FEET. BAY

FRIDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET. BAY

SATURDAY
EAST WINDS AROUND 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET SUBSIDING TO
2 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. BAY AND INLAND WATERS A LIGHT CHOP.
ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.

BigR
06-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Well, I guess you have to learn about the frustrations of getting skunked sooner or later

my advice would be not to set too high of an expectation ( it'll be easier that way )

The only thing I see is maybe a little night riding on wed night , thats a big maybe

Cborges
06-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Big R is right. Unless there is a sea breeze forget about it....

I wouldn't give any weight to any forecast this time of year.

Can't wait for the cable park to open!

Moving to the Tampa Bay area again...love all the St. Pete peeps and riding(when there is wind)..but, we have been spoiled with the cable in Deerfield Bch (the Rixen)...sad to leave them peeps.

soooooooooooooo happy to hear that they are puttin in a cable there...especially since summer is here...gotta love the cable!

When and where?????

CJ

Cborges
06-25-2008, 10:53 AM
No, it ain't happening here 'cept for t-storms.

your best bet is to burn some fossil fuels and head to the keys or hatterras

Heading south to the keys is the plan...my last weekend here on the east coast of Florida...what a great way to spend it...kiting in the keys...yeahhhhh!

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
06-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Wicked weather behind it!
I just got home from Brandon, its getting nasty over there and pushing hard this way.
gusty winds blowing down branches and stuff, so be careful if you are brave enough to ride.

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
06-25-2008, 03:39 PM
39-47 at the Skyway right now,......:twisted:

Tom Stock
06-25-2008, 03:54 PM
Nasty as hell over here in Brandon, heard it's lightning like crazy in st. pete.

Bad news is the wind completely died over here... I am behind it and it doesn't look good.

Tom Stock
06-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Looks like it's trying from the NNE... sky is clearing behind it not sure if it's real or not. All sensors have a good NE bias.

Tom Stock
06-25-2008, 05:45 PM
agreed doppler looks really bad... bizarre in fact like it's going to switch SE and nuke.

Tom Stock
06-25-2008, 06:07 PM
maybe later tonight if doppler clears up..

JoshTaylor
06-25-2008, 10:47 PM
got to the skyway around 6 rode for a few hours on my 8

Unimog Bob
06-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Got there at eight, solid 20s and the sky looking good. Rode well powered for 15 to 20 mins on my 9M then mowed the lawn for an hour. I'm glad I went, really needed the stress relief. I should let him post it first but what the heck, Danny is landing handle passes!

Tom Stock
06-25-2008, 11:43 PM
Confirmed, good wind. I got there and there were about 3 or 4 kites on the water. Saw Matt, Chris, Bob, must have just missed Josh, and a few others. Rigged my 9 and rode well powered for awhile before it dropped... then it picked up again at 10 or so and I was lit on Danny's 15 fuel.

Danny is in the handlepass club. He landed dangle pass after dangle pass in the dark, no moon, new kite, and MY board. Way to go Danny, I guess I loose our little competition (see who gets them first). Dang I was so close.

Tried a few on his fuel until I realized it was a 5th line safety and only a foot deep. Did not want to break my neck so I elected to wait until the time was right. Ths 15 fuels BOOSTS though I have to admit I was darn impressed. Felt just like my old blood soaked 16 waroo (wind range) but it was faster and jumped better... landings were incredibly hard but I blame my timing not the kite... not used to it at all and it was too dark to figure it out.

Left @ 11, crazy Chris was still riding solo.

Wolfie
06-26-2008, 07:38 AM
Danny, good job! I guess they aren't that hard if you are doing them.

inferno
06-26-2008, 08:48 AM
:confused:

J/K
Thanx

now i just need to stick the landing so i dont sink... maybe i was just a little underpowered when i was trying them.... only getting about 6-8 ft high, so by the time i made the pass, i was only a few feet off the water without enough time to redirect the kite for the power

Tom Stock
06-26-2008, 10:05 AM
You may pull them but I guarantee my misses will be just as entertaining!! I do them as big as a can so when I fall it's a long long fall and a huge splash.

Similar Josh's slam after slam awhile back:

http://videos.floridakitesurfer.com/EastBeach9302007.mov

I'm almost sad that Danny is going to miss out on this soul growing experience.

JoshTaylor
06-26-2008, 12:59 PM
wow, that was a bad day haha...

i noticed i've progressed aloot from then though... i stick slims and front mobes every time now, and working on backmobes and KGBs, also got s to blind, and double s to blind, almost 313s, and kiteloop handlepasses

inferno
06-26-2008, 02:01 PM

i noticed i've progressed aloot from then though... i stick slims and front mobes every time now, and working on backmobes and KGBs, also got s to blind, and double s to blind, almost 313s, and kiteloop handlepasses

oh, and congrats danny :)

thanx josh :)

JoshTaylor
06-26-2008, 03:24 PM
ment to say that lol, i just realized as i came back on..

my bad lol

congrats.

Alex
06-26-2008, 09:10 PM

that could quite possibly be the most inflated trick list i have ever seen.

Tom Stock
06-27-2008, 07:37 AM
LOL you guys crack me up.

Josh u paid your dues.

Danny needs to pay up someday when I have my camera.

TritonKiteboarding
06-27-2008, 08:29 AM
that could quite possibly be the most inflated trick list i have ever seen.

bbaaaahhahaha

inferno
06-27-2008, 08:34 AM
LOL you guys crack me up.

Josh u paid your dues.

Danny needs to pay up someday when I have my camera.

ive payed my dues.....

about 3 months ago in 35knots at EB......

Tom Stock
06-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah but that was for kite loops. Those dues have been paid for awhile. I'm talking about a good back flop in 2 feet of water! I'll bring my camera next good day just in case ;)

Whitey
06-27-2008, 09:01 PM

You should be here in Cabarete at the PkRA world championships cause I watched these guys for the last two days and stickng all of your slims and mobes will get you in the big show. yhese guys were not even 50% yesterday. No Billy Parker to be found.

Whitey
06-29-2008, 09:14 AM
ok after yesterday I must point out that the riders I saw on the first two days were walk ons trying to fill the last couple of open spots in the field. Watched the mens finial yesterday to see Hadalow get second place. They were putting together some pretty wild stuff, I would have to see it on video to know what all they did in one jump. They landed almost all of them.

Steve-O
07-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Sounds like your having a great time. Your missing nothing here.

Look forward to some pics and stories when you guys return.

I still need to get with Gabe and get pics together from the Triple S.

Maybe this weekend.

L8r