PDA

View Full Version : Kiting on Grand Cayman Island

Danimal8199
06-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Has anyone on here kited on the Grand Cayman Island? I hear there is alot of windsurfing down there...

Thinking about makinga trip down there.

What can anyone tell me about? I appreciate everyones feedback!

Danny

ricki
06-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Has anyone on here kited on the Grand Cayman Island? I hear there is alot of windsurfing down there...

Thinking about makinga trip down there.

What can anyone tell me about? I appreciate everyones feedback!

Danny

I wouldn't say a lot of windsurfing still there are some. The Kitehouse just set up shop on the eastern shore of Grand Cayman. Mike should be able to tell you a lot about it. I have a lot of shots from the island. You should checkout:

http://www.thekitehouse.com/cayman.htm

Don't forget about the diving while you are there. It is pretty good particularly the wall and wrecks. Some photos appear at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4615

conchxpress
06-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Rick,
That would be a great vacation. Kiting and diving. What's the current recommendation for flying after diving? I think commercial airliners are pressurized for 8,000 ft MSL. If you have a dive computer, will it tell you when your nitrogen time is zero?

Frank

ricki
06-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Rick,
That would be a great vacation. Kiting and diving. What's the current recommendation for flying after diving? I think commercial airliners are pressurized for 8,000 ft MSL. If you have a dive computer, will it tell you when your nitrogen time is zero?

Frank

Hey Frank,

It is a great venue for both and more. It is one of the better kept islands in the Caribbean in many respects. It is best to wait at least 24 hours after your last dive before flying. Or, you can wait until your deco computer completely clears which may be around 24 hours anyway. Repetitive SCUBA diving puts you particularly at risk as does deeper profiles. I had to be careful even with the type of free diving I was doing dropping down to 90 to 125 ft. a bunch of times. Type II DCS free divers which may be prone to (CNS impacts/blindness, etc.) in extreme exposures really stinks. Had some low grade Type I hits from deep air and trimix back in the day that were bad enough. It is a great island to visit and the flight there is pretty fast as well.

clamike
06-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Danny

There is great kiting in the Cayman Islands. It can be windy most the year, except Aug-Sept. The most wind coming from Nov-May from the NE and averaging 20 knots

The spots range from reef protected flat water lagoons to open ocean and waves. Some cool downwinders. The busiest kite spot is Barkers on the NW corner of Grand Cayman. There is some riding on the south side during the spring and summer.

The Kitehouse Cayman Islands is on the quieter East End of Grand Cayman, which is the windward side with a huge shallow water lagoon. Uncrowded and perfect for learning or visiting on a kite trip. Also partnered with the world class dive center, Ocean Frontiers to provide activities for all conditions.

Paddleboarding and surfing in Cayman is also good.

Here are some pics:
http://www.thekitehouse.com/gallery2/index.php?cat=18

Mike Minichiello
www.thekitehouse.com