PDA

View Full Version : Summer Doldrums

conchxpress
06-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Just posted a thread on TBKA, but thought I would repeat it here, since this forum tends to get more hits. Any interest in a TBKA party at McCormick's Cable Park in Seffner(just on the other side of 75 and I 4). Not sure if the cable is up and running but it looked pretty close on the site info dated in April. The whole cable can be rented for $400. for two hours and there's space for picnic etc. They're reportedly open 7 days a week. Anybody have any further updates? Anybody been there yet?

Any interest?

Frank

TBKA
06-12-2008, 06:57 PM
Keep us posted on that one Frank! Thats GREAT news from my old neck of the woods, McCormick has been around forever (since 1956) and has produced a TON of great skiers.
Its about 3 miles north of I-4, off of McIntosh exit.
Campgrounds too!
WOO-HOO!!!:D

conchxpress
06-12-2008, 07:21 PM
www.MCwatersports.com

Frank

TritonKiteboarding
06-12-2008, 07:36 PM
so stoked

TBKA
06-12-2008, 07:45 PM
I second that stoke...
12-18 bux a person for 4 hours should be the group rate.;)

conchxpress
06-12-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm going to try and make it out there this weekend to check it out and see how far along they are. I'll report back. Any idea how many people would want to attend? I'm fairly new to this sport and don't have a handle on how many local riders there are.

F.

Steve-O
06-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Been keepin an eye on the park. Very cool indeed. Apparently they are building an new type of cable that will be the only one of its kind in the U.S. It is straight and doesn't work on the loop concept. Great for beginners or folks that just want to hit sliders. Looking forward to it.

Also saw that OWC is hosting throughout the summer Saturday night rides. It is $25.00 bucks from 8pm-12am under the lights. Going this Saturday to check it out.

Kitespear813
06-13-2008, 07:25 AM
My house is less than a mile from mcormicks, Last time I was by there(about a week ago) The cable was not up yet, But that could have changed, I will swing by after work, and check it out.

amber
06-13-2008, 07:53 PM
that's a lot more convenient than OWC especially with gas $$$$. I definitely am in so after those guys check it out we should definitely plan a day over there...

conchxpress
06-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Went out there today to check it out. To the untrained eye(like mine), it doesn't look that far along, but Mike McCormick told me it would be open to the public by the end of the month. Don't be fooled by the artist's rendering on the website, it's still pretty Beverly Hillbillies (before they struck it rich). It doesn't have the Disney theme park feel like the ones in Orlando. However they are progressing and the important thing is the cable, right? He also told me that they will be licensed for beer and wine! Another plus.I said I didn't think anybody in TBKA drank anymore (than usual). As far as parties go they haven't really established when and what days they would rent out the cable.
Mike has not tried kiteboarding yet, but would like to try. One of his good friends is Shannon Best, from Shannon's wakeboarding days. Mike's planning on going to Key West soon, so maybe we can hook him up with Paul and the Kitehouse. I'm thinking ahead here. Would be cool to have a member of TBKA who owns a cable park!
If anyone wants to check the place out,here are some good directions. The ones on the website suck. I spent 40 minutes in the hot sun on my Harley, cruising up and down the same roads till I finally found someone to ask.

I4 from Tampa just past the overpasses for I75, take exit 10 (SR 579). Get in left hand lane. Make a left at the light. Follow 579 for 1.1 miles to Pruett Road. Take a right and proceed 1.6 miles east. You will go thru a 4 way stop sign, pass an elementary school on the left and McCormick Lakes are on the left. A fun thing to do after you exit I 4 is see how many turkey vultures on road kill you can count. I have 4.

Frank

Kitespear813
06-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah I stopped By there today and they told me pretty much the same thing, Should be open in a couple of weeks, He also said it will run about 30-40$ a day...Sweet!!

DJ HiPPiE
06-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the progress report....I'm definatly heading out there when it's finished.

amber
06-16-2008, 11:44 AM
thanks guys! I competed in collegiate waterskiing and when I moved down here found Mike and went and spent a day on the slalom course. Really nice guy! I'm looking forward to returning. Can crosstrain with a couple passes on the course and remind myself how much it hurts to practice the jump. ;)