PDA

View Full Version : new to sport

TampaNick
06-03-2008, 09:44 PM
hey guys the names nick im interested in kite boarding. Just bought a HQ Scout 3m to start learning how to control kites looking for any advice on using these kites while i wait for it to come through the mail. i also will be looking for a kitesurfing instructor want a good one any points to the right direction would be appreciated

what wind speed should i be looking for using this kite?

what obstacles to stay away from

any other questions that i dont know and should ask. you guys could answer for me and i would appreciate it thanx in advance

TampaNick
06-03-2008, 10:01 PM
sorry guys just realized i posted in wrong spot plz move to the learning threads

Tom Stock
06-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Instructors, you can call watersports west, or you can drive down to the skyway during a west or east wind (around 12-14mph) and look for "Randy" in the trailer... he's almost always there. Look for the black flags with a flying fish on them. He teaches right there on the spot.

Most of our instructors are pretty good, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

TBKA may recommend some instructors also... Steve for example.

LSUkiter
06-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Scott's right on that. I started during the summer a year ago cuz I couldn't wait. Awesome wind on my first lesson, every other lesson was sucky light winds. I can relaunch the hell out of a kite becuz half my lessons were in such light winds, I ended up with my kite in the water constantly. Extremely frustrating and annoying. Lack of winds combined with a horrible work schedule led me from taking about 12 hours of lessons as opposed to the usual 6. I was completely happy with my instructor, it just got frustrating because my progression was so slow.

TampaNick
06-03-2008, 10:30 PM
would it be good to start off on land with a board? will the trainer kite have enough power for this? what kinda pull should i be expecting with this kite with a summer wind?

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
06-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Your best bet right now is to take the Intro to Kiting class at Watersports West in Largo. Its 75.00 and about 2 1/2 hours of info. You go home with study materials, links, and a ride guide CD of area launch sites. Do that and fly the trainer kite as much as possible.

There's a ton of local and safety info here:
www.kiteboardingtampabay.com
and here: www.tbka.org/forum/

If you come out to the beach with your trainer I will show you some land excercises that you can practice on.
Thanks for seeking advice and learning safely, our locals apprecitate that!

TampaNick
06-03-2008, 11:07 PM
thanx for advice dont wanna go near a board until i can handle a kite

Tom Stock
06-03-2008, 11:18 PM
I think you could pass on the intro lesson, and just fly the trainer as much as possible before taking the real lessons. Fly it until you can fly it with one hand, with your eyes closed (seriously). Apply the $75 towards the real lesson (maybe wsw does this, not sure. If so then go ahead and do the intro).

Fly the trainer in many different wind speeds... 6mph up to 20mph (avoid people of course). Even a trainer kite can drill you into the ground so be careful.

You can easily ride a skateboard with a trainer or even a skim board in the right spot.

I flew stunt kites before getting into kiting and one 3 hour lesson was all I needed to get started. I did not get up and riding in 3 hours, but only learned to rig and fly the kite, self launch, self land, body drag, water relaunch, self rescue, and water start. Basically to be safe with the kite. Never wake boarded or snow boarded in my life. Some people need more time, it really just depends on your life experience, your instructor, and the weather. Took me another month to get up and riding and staying up wind after the lesson...

Kiteboarding is a lot like wakeboarding and snow boarding because you ride on your edge. Play with the trainer and maybe hit up the wakeboard park in orlando, then go ahead and take a lesson in 14mph+.

Also, wear a helmet for the first year (or always). Just trust me on that one.

-tom

TampaNick
06-03-2008, 11:28 PM
I can wakeboard, snowboard, and i surf so im sure thatll help when i get to the boarding aspect.

Whats a good distance to keep from people, buildings, and other objects poles, lines, etc...?

What beaches and what are the beach rules on just flying the kites because i have seen people flying them just dont remember where

Tom Stock
06-03-2008, 11:34 PM
As much as possible, but a minimum of 2 line lengths is a good idea. Keep in mind that lines under tension can cut to the bone in the right circumstances (lots of power) so stay clear of people especially young kids.

Just use common sense and you'll be fine. Do not attempt to fly a full sized kiteboarding kite without a lesson regardless of how well you fly the trainer.

Danimal8199
06-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Nick,

The WSW intro class is probably the most informative class on kiteboarding you can take next to being on the beach with the kite in your hand. I would highly recommend it. Also check out www.tbka.org

I bought a trainer kite and started flying it and you can get worked over pretty good in higher winds, though not likely to happen during the summer months.

This was in about 25mph winds through my shirt...

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e284/danimal8199/ouch.jpg

amber
06-04-2008, 10:58 AM
I think the good thing about the course at WSW is that you're paying $75 bucks on 2 1/2 hours of stuff you need to know. Kite terminology, weather, safety, etc. You would normally be paying about a hundred bucks an hour to get all that same information relayed to you at the beach. This way when you do take lessons, you won't have to spend so much time on land with all that information being thrown at you.

Also, something I was previous unaware of... WSW maintains a database of new riders and actually makes referrals to local certified instructors. This includes instructors like Steve-o and Gabe that teach for the shop as well as Steve at Kiteboarding Tampa Bay and Matt at Triton Kiteboarding.

I would just definitely wait to buy any gear. I think people get excited at the intro class and wanna buy stuff. Your instructor will have gear. Try stuff out and figure out what works best for you before you go spend ton of money on something you may not need or like. I started out with a secondhand board for example (thanks Scott) and saved a bunch of money.

We are having a safety day and cook-out at East Beach at Fort Desoto this saturday. Perfect time for you to bring your trainer kite and questions out to the beach and meet a bunch of us. Its actually past the "real" east beach. Turn left at the flagpole and keep driving till the end. See ya then!

TampaNick
06-04-2008, 12:10 PM
only bought a trainer cant wait for it to come in hopefully today or tomorrow wont buy any gear till after i can take lessons

beach sounds like fun i might just do that should i bring anything?

when will the winds pickup again to have best chance of getting lessons consistantly?

BigR
06-04-2008, 12:19 PM
when will the winds pickup again to have best chance of getting lessons consistantly?

October if you we are lucky

TampaNick
06-04-2008, 12:44 PM
i will ask for lessons for my b-day then :)

Danimal8199
06-04-2008, 12:54 PM
We are having a safety day and cook-out at East Beach at Fort Desoto this saturday. Perfect time for you to bring your trainer kite and questions out to the beach and meet a bunch of us. Its actually past the "real" east beach. Turn left at the flagpole and keep driving till the end. See ya then!

What time was this supposed to be?

Thanks Amber!

Tom Stock
06-04-2008, 12:55 PM
This time of year, best chances for flying your trainer: Treasure Island (or any large gulf beach, like Big Beach Ft. Desoto) in the afternoon between 3:00pm - 6:00 pm. It won't be guaranteed but chances are good for an afternoon sea breeze this time of year.

TBKA
06-04-2008, 02:05 PM
The safety day and cookout isn't until Saturday June 28, all day. There's a thread here and one on www.TBKA.org (http://www.TBKA.org) Make sure to sign up on there and let us know you will be coming (on the cookout poll.)
Since you mentioned it, we are cooking out at my house this weekend if you wanna show up.
Later, Steve

amber
06-05-2008, 12:43 AM
oh damn. that sux. I was all ready to go to the beach on saturday. Steve... I'd make sure and advertise that its not this weekend b/c i've talked to a couple people that were under the impression it was saturday. Sorry for confusing everyone. :(

TampaNick
06-09-2008, 03:48 PM
got my kite today now im just waiting on the wind

BigR
06-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Awesome! :cool:

DJ HiPPiE
06-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Good to hear ya got your kite....Sadly no wind today....Just rain.

It sucks wanting to get into this right after moving into a new house....But i'm finally settled in so the next step is the trainer and course at Watersport west....Plus since it's not just me getting into this(My girlfriend and best friend as well) we're gonna split the cost on the trainer so we should probably be picking that up in the next week or two.

TampaNick
06-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I got to fly the kite today. The wind was low and swirly probably due to the buildings around the park but still was a lotta fun lookn forward to the beach tomorrow.

sphen
06-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Great post. I too am looking to get into kiteboarding and almost made a bad decision of buying gear without knowing what I was looking for. Luckily i first turned to some kite boarding forums and they helped refer me to some instructors in the area who then told me to get a 3 meter trainer kite. Skyway Scott saw my posts and referred me to this forum which I will be using instead since its mainly for us local Tampa/St. Pete people which is nice. Anyways I just wanted to say thanks for the information and I look forward to getting into the sport and meeting some new people.

DJ HiPPiE
06-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Yeah this place is turning out to be a great place to get honest and proper information.

I was out at Sunset Beach today and those that I asked questions to were quite easy to talk to....I really like the fact that the riders in this area are willing to help people that are getting into this....It can be intimidating to ask question but everyone that I have talked to here and at the beach have been great.

sphen
06-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Thats good to know. I'm hoping picking up a trainer kite soon and will be using that over the summer until the lessons open up again in the fall. Also I plan on going to OWC at least once this summer. If anyone else once to go let me know, maybe we could set something up.

DJ HiPPiE
06-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Thats good to know. I'm hoping picking up a trainer kite soon and will be using that over the summer until the lessons open up again in the fall. Also I plan on going to OWC at least once this summer. If anyone else once to go let me know, maybe we could set something up.

There is a cable park opening up soon in Seffner

sphen
06-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Seffner really? Thats a lot closer, hopefully it opens soon. But hey I was browsing for trainer kites on ebay and ran across this one. Whats your guys opinion on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quad-Kitesurfing-Kiteboarding-Kite-Trainer-Kit-Video_W0QQitemZ320265799868QQihZ011QQcategoryZ5813 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks.

conchxpress
06-22-2008, 03:26 PM
The kite looks good and a good price also. However, it appears that it only has control handles, and doesn't have a bar. You need the bar to get practice getting the same steering motion you would with a bigger kite. Plus I've seen Paul's video and he uses the bar for the trainer. Check with the seller. There may be a bar included. A lot of them have both bar and handles. Definitely need the bar.

In fact, if you send me a pm, I'll let you have mine, it's an Airrush, for free. When you are up and riding, and read about someone needing to get a trainer, pay it forward.

Frank

conchxpress
06-22-2008, 04:55 PM
My Airush is only a 2 meter. If that makes any difference.

Frank

Tom Stock
06-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Best makes a 3m trainer for around $125... expensive but worth it. I can jump with it on land in good wind!

But whatever you get will work as long as it has a bar (and preferably a leash... the best trainer does).

DJ HiPPiE
06-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Best makes a 3m trainer for around $125... expensive but worth it. I can jump with it on land in good wind!

Really.....Well then I think I know what i'm picking up soon.

pdfox
06-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Seffner really? Thats a lot closer, hopefully it opens soon. But hey I was browsing for trainer kites on ebay and ran across this one. Whats your guys opinion on it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quad-Kitesurfing-Kiteboarding-Kite-Trainer-Kit-Video_W0QQitemZ320265799868QQihZ011QQcategoryZ5813 3QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks.

This kite is less than 1 square meter. It's way to small to get any kind of feel for training. I would look for a kite at least 2.5 - 3 square meters. As stated in other posts it's best to use a bar instead of handles. This add looks to me like a complete ripoff.

Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
06-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Personally, I think the Slingshot 3m is the best deal for 229.00
Its bombproof and has tons of pull- try mine if you want to. It flies very well compared to other brands.

I have another "trainer kite" on the way that should be real nice in light winds...;)
Anyone have a land board to sell or trade?

Tom Stock
06-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Anyone have a land board to sell or trade?

http://www.stpetekites.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=39

You could probably negotiate on that price with Bryan, it's been up there awhile.

Tom Stock
06-24-2008, 02:59 PM

One more thing to consider, Best Kiteboarding has a 30 day refund policy. Buy the trainer, and if you don't like it, or heck even if you get bored with it in a few weeks, you can return it for a full refund even if it's used. They will then list it on the used gear section, at which time you can buy it back at half price. LOL LOL LOL. Ok that part was a joke I don't recommend doing that.

But, you may have to buy it directly from www.bestkiteboarding.com to take advantage of that I think.

-tom