PDA

View Full Version : We did it again!!!

TBKA
05-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Caladesi named best beach

For years an also-ran, Caladesi Island State Park in northern Pinellas County won the distinction as America's top beach for 2008 by coastal expert Stephen P. Leatherman, otherwise known as Dr. Beach. Caladesi Island was also voted #1 by the original "Caladesi Queen", know only as T-Dubb. T-Dubb is a famous local kiter and shell collector who frequents the island during local kiting events, and is probably the most knowledgable person around about Caladesi's shell collecting potential.
http://blogs.tampabay.com/breakingnews/images/2008/05/22/caladesi.jpg (http://blogs.tampabay.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/05/22/caladesi.jpg) Leatherman called the 3-mile-long island off the coast of Dunedin his "favorite getaway beach" during an announcement live on MSNBC from the local beach this morning. He called the sand "white as it can be'' and lauded the crystal clear water.
"There's a lot of bird life, it's like a world apart" from the metro Tampa Bay area, said Leatherman, director of Florida International University's Laboratory for Coastal Research.
Caladesi has been in the top six of Leatherman's America's Best Beaches List since 1997 and was No. 2 for the last two years. Pinellas' Fort De Soto Park's North Beach won top honors in 2005. The park also was named as the best U.S. beach by the travel Web site TripAdvisor.com this year.
Having two top-ranked beaches is "a definite distinction no community in North America can claim," said D.T. Minich, Pinellas tourism director. "To have have two number one beaches in one community is unprecedented."
The county's tourism marketing agency, Visit St. Petersburg/Clearwater has launched a $1-million summer advertsing campaign in Central Florida promoting Pinellas beaches. Billboards carry messages such as "America's #1 Beach is just 90 minutes Away.'' Now they might need to add an "es.''
This year's runner-up was Hanalei Beach in Hawaii. Two other Florida Beaches made the cut: No. 3 Siesta Key Beach near Sarasota and No. 9 Cape Florida State Park in Key Biscayne. Here is the entire list:
1). Caladesi Island State Park; 2). Hanalei Beach, Hawaii, 3). Siesta Key Beach; 4). Coopers Beach, Southhampton, N.Y.; 5). Coronado Beach, San Diego, Calif.; 6). Main Beach, East Hampton, N.Y.; 7). Hamoa Beach, Hawaii; 8). Cape Hatteras, N.C.; 9). Cape Florida State Park; 10). Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, S.C.
Tampabay.com Beach Guide: Beach news, events & restaurant (http://sptimes.com/2007/webspecials07/special_reports/beach-guide/)

OK, so I mixed in a little funny with something to think about.....:p
On this current list, there are 2 of our prized riding spots that are rated "The BEST in the AMERICA", Ft. Desoto was #1 in 2005, so we basically have the BEST beaches in the U.S. to kite at.
Protecting them is our TOP priority, please make it yours.
If you are a Kiteboarder in the Tampa Bay area and truly respect our sport, please support our efforts to protect what we love.

If you are asked to fill out a survey on the beach, please take 5 minutes to fill it out.
Please sign up on the TBKA website ASAP, we want your feedback on issues that will affect the future of kiting in Tampa Bay for new kiters, instructors, and all others. I will post a test poll or two before we start the real discussions on the existing forum.
(We are also demo'ing another forum format to make login easier and more user friendly)
http://www.tbka.org/

WindRyder
05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
I always wondered where the shells came from in that jar on the back of T Dub's toilet......

toby wilson
05-23-2008, 10:50 AM
Gee whillickers, I didn't know I was FAMOUS!!!

TBKA
05-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Linda, we would love to get a story on the Love Connection that you and Roy made through kiting, so feel free to give us the scoop. You guys are locals too!
I heard both of you get free kite pumping service from Toby on your stay down here (beacuse of some crazy bet that he lost to Roy), that's pretty AWESOME!
Congrats on the sponsorship!

WindRyder
05-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Well, the story goes like this: Roy saw me, fell in love at first sight, and the rest is history..... well, he may not agree, although he was the one who came up to me that day at the Skyway, only claiming to be on "Kook Patrol." LOL
Yeah, I'll have to give you the scoop for the site. I really think that what you guys are doing for your area is great!! You have so many kiters, so many spots to ride, and a huge responsibility. Good job with coming together on your differences, ideas, and passion for the sport.
Roy and I will be down there tonight. We'll be crashing with Mexico Erick.
I hope to see you guys at Crabby Bills. Don't really know what the wind will do, but sounds like there will be a lot going on regardless.
Take care, and see you soon!!!

WindRyder
05-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Oh, and about the bet... Toby hasn't lost yet. He has until June.....Details later....
But, Tobes, that doesn't mean you don't have to pump the kites up in preparation for losing the bet!!! LOL

TBKA
05-23-2008, 11:28 AM
I think Toby was hoping for an announcement while you guys are here-seems like his only chance...:p
See you at Crabby's, hopefully someone with a ski will be there for wakeboarding

toby wilson
05-23-2008, 12:32 PM
ACTUALLY, Roy was like "she is SOOO hot man!!! Dude what should I do?" Then he had the wonderful kook patrol idea cause he wanted to find out if Linda was 'with' the guy she had been riding with. But Roy is soft, he will pop the question this weekend so Linda doesn't run off with some other team rider into the sunset. Maybe I'll let Linda join in the pumping fun, after all it is her fault... ;)

WindRyder
05-23-2008, 01:13 PM
And no matter what Roy says about simply being the "Kook Patrol," he does remember the date, the Captain America dry suit I was riding in all day, and the clothes that were under that dry suit!!!
Sorry, Tobes, no pumping action from me!!! LOL

TBKA
05-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Back to the reason I posted,
I put 2 simple polls up on TBKA for a test vote, please check in, vote, and stay informed of association activities.
We appreciate your interest!

Skyway Scott
05-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Are we talking free food and stuff on this?
If so, what is there not to be interested in?
I think Steve is mainly trying to gauge how many people might show, so that Bayflite doesn't 'que too many dogs and then have to force Billy to eat them all. :o ;)

Tom Stock
05-23-2008, 02:34 PM
wait i wasnt listening until you said something about bayflite and a bbq

where is the food, ill eat those extra dogs

TBKA
05-23-2008, 02:37 PM
Yep, something like that. Most of these newer guys haven't dined at Bayflite's Beachside Bistro yet, nor have they sampled a BP Bubba Burger with all the trimmings.
Were trying to make this happen SOON, so be sure to let us know you will be there( poll )so we can save you a burger or two.
The forum is now wide open for your lurking pleasure, enjoy!
Guests can now view the site, however posting and voting requires a few minutes of signup.
www.tbka.org (http://www.tbka.org)
Have an Awesome Day!

Skyway Scott
05-23-2008, 05:01 PM
I voted to eat hot dogs. :)

http://tbka.org/forum/index.php?topic=84.0