PDA

View Full Version : straps on skimboard?

biggins
07-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Anyone ever put straps on a skimboard? If so how? and how was the performance, ie can you still edge them since your foot isn't on the edge anymore? thanks,

j

biggins
07-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Anyone ever put straps on a skimboard? If so how? and how was the performance, ie can you still edge them since your foot isn't on the edge anymore? thanks,

j

ricki
07-13-2005, 09:18 PM

j

I have heard of other riders doing this on their own. Lots of guys seem to prefer using skimboards with just a deck pad or wax for traction. You could just bolt regular windsurfing footstraps on to a plywood skimboard with the bolts/nuts sticking through the bottom of the board. Alternatively, you could counter sink or even coverup the fastenings if your skill and tastes dictate that approach. This later approach might be dictated if you have a composite construction skimboard with concerns over leakage and impairment of the board.

Hein at http://www.impact3d.com/ fabricated a fairly impressive skimboard like kiteboard with integrated footstraps. You might get in touch with him to see if he still makes them. I can't answer you on the performance question as I have yet to use a skimboard setup with footstraps.

Let us know how it goes!

Here's a question of my own, have folks experimented with skimboards of different lengths in evaluating lower end performance? What did you observe if so?

ricki
07-13-2005, 09:18 PM

j

I have heard of other riders doing this on their own. Lots of guys seem to prefer using skimboards with just a deck pad or wax for traction. You could just bolt regular windsurfing footstraps on to a plywood skimboard with the bolts/nuts sticking through the bottom of the board. Alternatively, you could counter sink or even coverup the fastenings if your skill and tastes dictate that approach. This later approach might be dictated if you have a composite construction skimboard with concerns over leakage and impairment of the board.

Hein at http://www.impact3d.com/ fabricated a fairly impressive skimboard like kiteboard with integrated footstraps. You might get in touch with him to see if he still makes them. I can't answer you on the performance question as I have yet to use a skimboard setup with footstraps.

Let us know how it goes!

Here's a question of my own, have folks experimented with skimboards of different lengths in evaluating lower end performance? What did you observe if so?

biggins
07-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks,

I was wondering that too, on the bigger skimboards. Seems like a surfboard sized skimboard would be even better for light wind??? I have an SX 51 form cabal that I really like and enjoy riding it strapless, but the option of straps would be nice to try as well. Just trying new things. I love the performance of the board, but at high speeds it gets hairy! especially in chop. One wrong move and you've lost the board and you're skipping across the water on your face! :shock: Plus with straps I'd imagine it would be nice in the waves? We'll see I guess. Thanks,

j

biggins
07-14-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks,

I was wondering that too, on the bigger skimboards. Seems like a surfboard sized skimboard would be even better for light wind??? I have an SX 51 form cabal that I really like and enjoy riding it strapless, but the option of straps would be nice to try as well. Just trying new things. I love the performance of the board, but at high speeds it gets hairy! especially in chop. One wrong move and you've lost the board and you're skipping across the water on your face! :shock: Plus with straps I'd imagine it would be nice in the waves? We'll see I guess. Thanks,

j