PDA

View Full Version : Half A Million Views In April!

ricki
05-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Actually, 488,856 page views but who's counting?

Wow, that is a lot of activity, thanks for visiting! I don't think to check web stat's. all that often, perhaps a few times per year. I can recall getting rev'd up with that much activity in an entire year back in the day.

Anyway, thanks again and if there are modifications you think would improve the site, please let me know.

Skyway Scott
05-13-2008, 02:34 PM
The site rocks, Rick. Just my opinion, but not seeing a friggin' Google Ad every where you look is beyond refreshing. It's nice to see a forum and place of communication where we aren't barraged with ads.

Sites with ads all over just plain bug me. I can barely even see the iKite wind map anymore (http://www.iwindsurf.com/adserver/weatherflow-index.php?keywords=iwindsurf&CFID=3715378&CFTOKEN=d2a3fea3bb69e4cf-DCF580CC-DAA4-2F96-18D8610D7ABB84CA) Can you see it??

Great site Rick. Dare I say... IT'S AWESOME!!

ricki
05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks! I don't really don't like a page flooded with banners either. I think it is better to emphasize useful content for and by users.

Skyway Scott
05-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Content is king. :)

Skyway Scott
05-15-2008, 09:44 AM
I thought of something, Rick.

Increase the time we have to post in this box before we get timed out and lose everything. It's frustrating to lose a post. I have heard several others tell me this. It's one reason one particular local won't post. He doesn't know how to cut and post from a Word program and stuff and gets frustrated.

Good job, Rick.

ricki
05-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Hey Scott,

I don't think I've ever been timed out in preparing a post. Could be moderators are exempt? How long does it typically take?

I just went into the control panel and found that it has been set to have no time restriction for editing of posts. They have no option for time limitations for the creation of posts however.

I will look into this further on the vBulletin help forum and see what they might have in this regard.

Thanks

BigR
05-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Could be moderators are exempt

I've never been timed out while writing a post, but then I usually don't do essays either

Skyway Scott
05-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Ah... no I didn't mean editing posts.
That choice is probably in reference to "locking someone in" to what they say.
I am actually talking about just constructing your first draft.
I have found if it takes more than 10 minutes for me to type in this box, odds are high that when I hit 'Submit Reply', my stuff is lost and I am asked to sign in again and I basically have to type it again.

I have heard at least 2 guys say this frustration with getting timed out caused them to give up on posting to the forum.
One guy in particular would be a valuable asset on here.
I would guess we have a 10 minute limit on how long we are given to type up a post, "or lose it". :(

Maybe different permissions in user groups have different time lengths.
You have made some pretty detailed posts, Rick. Have you never been timed out?

Maybe it's our choice under preferences or something? I will investigate as well.

Skyway Scott
05-15-2008, 10:41 AM
one possible lead http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1556966

Skyway Scott
05-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Starting to sound buggy.. uh oh.... http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=169660

Skyway Scott
05-15-2008, 10:45 AM
I will leave it to you Rick.
It sounds like a problem with no obvious solution that I can find in 5 minutes, anyway.
It sounds like only some people experience it, weird.
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-97432.html

C. Moore
05-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Scott,

Do you leave your self signed in? It sounds like you don't and if there isn't any activity it will boot you.

Skyway Scott
05-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Not sure I understand. I usually hop on, see a post, and then sign it (like I just did) to respond. I will try an experiment. I will post this and immediately hit the respond button after I post. I will start the reply, go back to working, and come back and hit submit in 10 minutes. I bet it times me out.

:)

Skyway Scott
05-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Test response. Came in to edit. I think I understand what you are saying. I don't stay logged on all the time, I log in, log off.
I haven't read much about it and won't, I have too many bugs of my own. :) and just type in word and then paste it.
I am certain it has kept a few from posting though, because they don't type too well and a couple paragraphs is a real effort for them.
If they are then timed out, that's a lot of effort down the drain for them and they don't try again after the second or third failure.

ricki
05-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks, I think you hit it. Apparently the default is 15 minutes, I just reset it for two hours. Moderators must be exempt because I've never had a problem with it.

Would someone please check to see if they are logged out automatically for inactivity with an open post window say at 20 minutes?

one possible lead http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1556966