PDA

View Full Version : mixing bars

conchxpress
05-07-2008, 05:57 PM
The new slingshot convertible 1:1/2:1 bar looks great with depower below the bar, and the trademark stopper ball. Are these compatible with other kites than slingshot, as long as they're the right no. of lines and style of kite?

linhster
05-08-2008, 12:03 AM
I use my best bar with many different types of kites.
- Best waroo
- Eclipse chameleon
- Airush halo

All these are 4 line bow kites but the one thing that noticed is that each company use a different length setting between the center lines and the steering lines. Some can be use as is. But many you will have to check out the difference in line length based on what the original bar was set up for. Make sure you do your homework before hooking up any non matching brand (kite to bar ) because you can get SERIOUSLY INJURE if the kite gets too much power from the center lines being too long.

Good luck with your research.

Skyway Scott
05-08-2008, 08:00 AM
That's good advice. There can definitely be differences among kites with line lengths regarding front/back lines.

To attempt keep myself out of trouble (I use a Best bar on many kites as well) I have on my different kites different length back line pig tails.

What I mean is on one kite the back line pig tail is this long -

and on another it is only -

___

(relative lengths) one is actually about 2 feet the other is maybe 3 inches.

I do this and pretty much always hook up the knot most distant from my kite so I know it's tuned right and avoid confusion between kites by always practicing the same approach on all (make pig tail correct length, and stick to hooking up to furthest away). If I need to power it a little, I land it and do so.

That's easier for me than memorizing a few kites. I hope that makes sense.

As Linhster said, that bar should work in theory, (I think) but it's the line lengths that might be an issue and you really can get hurt really fast. I would rig it up in light wind (not heavy wind) the first time to tune it and check it out. I do this factory kites anyway. I never trust a kite or how it is rigged up out of the factory. It's not worth it to trust it, imo.

Kev
05-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Yeah - The slingshot bars should work with any kite once tuned right.

The good thing is that the slingshot bars are on sale through the slingshot website right now. I was thinking about getting one too.