PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous Shorts

conchxpress
04-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Anyone use the Dakine Nitrous Shorts? Any issues? What size spreader bar do you use? Also, is the sizing accurate?

Tom Stock
04-18-2008, 06:33 AM
I've been using them for a bout 3 years. No issues, but the sizing is sometimes a litte off on older sizes. I am wearing a 36 and they are a little big on me (my waist is a 35-36). I think the newer sizes run a little smaller, so be sure to ask when you order them.

On the larger sizes, use the large spreader bar... on the smaller sizes, the medium spreader bar. A spreader bar pad is a good idea so the bar doesn't dig into your hips. Also, ride with the bar a little loose so it doesn't twist into your hips, but not loose enough to disconnect on one side if you ride toe side. There is a small screw which locks the bar into one clip... make sure that screw is on your left side if you ride left foot forward most of the time.

Also, there is a hidden buckle under your rear end hidden inside the shorts... tighten that up so they don't ride up on you.

I love mine.. It doesn't even feel like I am wearing a harness and no back pain. Plus I can't forget it and leave it at the beach and it's one less thing to carry when walking out. The hook is lower, right at your center of gravity, and you can edge harder and pop harder because you are using your legs instead of your back. At first it'll feel weird because the pull is so much lower... give it a couple of sessions to get used to them. They make the huge bar throw on modern kites easier to deal with too...

One more important thing, buy a pair of "Under Armour" from the sporting good store.. you know the lycra sports underwear. This will prevent chaffe from the straps so you don't end the day with a huge rash. With those you will never get torn up down there. I recommend them for surfing too... no rash between the legs from walking back up wind.

Tony
04-18-2008, 06:36 AM
Tom is very accurate in his post. I love mine and as he said - make sure and buy the under armour to prevent chaffing. They do run big.

Steve-O
04-18-2008, 08:11 AM
I personally have never worn them, however, Doug wears them all the time. He just bought a new pair not too long ago and he noticed something was different about the support of the straps and how they were secured inside or should I say lack of secured. They felt different enough that he had someone do a stich inside to make it like the old design. I would think if you didn't have the old design you wouldn't notice.

Anyways, we sell them at the shop and it is a love hate relationship with them. Some people love them, some people hate them. I think it is one of those things that you won't know until you give them a try.

But all advice above is spot on. Underarmor and takes a bit getting used to especially if you wear a waste harness.

kite-4-life
04-18-2008, 08:12 AM
I love the Nitrous shorts also
one negative is they don't come with a kite knife. The velcro leg pocket is more accesible than the back for knife storage, but I have lost several knives wearing these shorts.
The 2007-2008 versions are waist sized, (older ones are S-M-L-XL and ran smaller than normal), plus have a buckle instead of strings to tie them.
The spreader bar screw has been replaced by a plastic clip that works fine.
Boxer briefs work good also, just don't forget to put the eggs in the basket and snug up the leg straps or you will be hurtin for certain.
WSW has them in stock.
Later

Tom Stock
04-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Regarding the knife, I recommend something like this. This is how I do it. The white tab is my z-knife. fwiw I think we should probably carry two z-knives, but right now I only carry one. Most people drop the knife when the adrenaline is pumping.

Galego
04-18-2008, 08:11 PM
i also use the shorts and like the feel of having it pull from a lower center of gravity. the only disadvantage is what my girlfriend calls "baggy ass", and the dam strings(the buckle sounds nice) but aside from that they're great.