PDA

View Full Version : Epic Sea Breeze Session Thurs

Steve-O
04-16-2008, 09:31 PM
No brainer....there was an epic sea breeze today hitting 20+ out of the North.

A couple of us are planning to hit it up around Clearwater down to Indian Rocks around 1pm.

Come join us if you can, should be a beautiful day!!!!

Steve-O
727-542-8022

Skyway Scott
04-17-2008, 12:29 AM
II don't know. I think it will probably blow ENE in the morning at the SW until around 11am (again). Today nuked pretty good from NNE out there. But tomorrow I would be surprised to see it seabreeze all that great, lots of east in it is my guess.
Hope I am wrong, but that's not usually what mother nature does under tomorrow's circumstances. :) Care to wager and make it interesting? How about ten cents. ;) I might go out there, either way. Donna has the day off and it's been awesome out.

wllix
04-17-2008, 10:47 AM
all weather links point to no wind today... am i missing somthing?

Skyway Scott
04-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Forecasts rarely predict seabreezes, so Steve definitely has a shot of getting this right and he is definitely wise to ignore the forecast :)
Also, in terms of the NE and ENE, those winds can be greatly amplified at certain times in certain places under certain circumstances :)
Forecasts never hit that kind of stuff. They almost NEVER predict a great seabreeze. As a matter of fact, if Josh Linker actually does say seabreeze, I put a fork in it.

We haven't had that many true seabreezes this year (winds going from squat to NW at 18 plus in 5 minutes and lasting 2.5 hours, then dying just as fast) and I think there is too much of an easterly component in it for the seabreeze to overcome it today. Yesterday was more Northerly, so.....

I could be wrong, but I am still here working and don't plan on burning gas today. I am gonna wait for 7:30 and ride Lassing.

Anyway, it's all a guessing game and if you aren't there, you won't ride.
Last night pretty much cranked though, and that was predictable. :)

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KSPG.html

BigR
04-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Scottie wrote:
I am gonna wait for 7:30 and ride Lassing

Looks to me like night riding isn't just for scottie and danny or tom anymore!

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-8026-0-asc-68.html

Skyway Scott
04-17-2008, 12:49 PM
There are in like 2 inches of water.

Skyway Scott
04-17-2008, 02:25 PM
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=149&siteID=812

SW took a dump and then went due North. That's often a sign for a sea breeze.
Steve-O was right, I guess.

C. Moore
04-17-2008, 04:47 PM
My guess is a kick ass sea breeze tomorrow starting between 1:30 and 2:00 and lasting until 5:00. The East winds are going to be light tomorrow about 5 to 8 mph and clear skies. Who's willing to bet 10 cents?

Skyway Scott
04-17-2008, 04:54 PM
:) I would like to go out, if it happens.

Yeah, I think tomorrow might be possible. Tonight at Lassing seems like a good bet.

RM3001
04-17-2008, 09:00 PM
I checked Accuweather this morning b/c I had to decide if I was going to play in a golf tournament tomorrow and it said East winds 14-15 in the morning so I said screw the golf - it can wait till summer.

Just checked Accuweather and it now says East at 9 in the am. I'll check in the morning but I really don't want to drive down from N. Tampa to get skunked. Anybody want to play golf in the am and wait for seabreaze in afternoon?

Rob 10 handicap 813 368-4417

kite-4-life
04-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Wish I was playing Golf, but its moving day :(
A 10 handicap isn't bad,I am just handicapped....
If there is enough interest, we should have a kiter golf event this summer.
Any other hackers out there?
~BoBo Woods

inferno
04-18-2008, 08:53 AM
maybe we could have someone on the beach whacking golf balls at kiters.... could be the next extreme sport....

on a more serious note, for almost a year now ive been keeping my eye out for one of the original style nerf footballs, i think it would be cool to take out to the beach and play catch while kiting..

maybe even create some sort of game.. 4 on 4 kite foot ball, same rules as ultimate frisbee, when you get the ball you have to stop and try to throw it to a team mate... could be alot of fun.....

whos in????

Danimal8199
04-18-2008, 10:53 AM
I say we play tackle, you have to hit the opponents wing tip to send them into a loop and crash with out tangling kites, could be dangerous, but then whats the point?

inferno
04-18-2008, 01:35 PM
my dad said that when he was growing up they used to tie razor blades to the tips of their stunt kites and have kite fights..... sounds like fun:confused:

Kitespear813
04-18-2008, 02:27 PM
When I lived in Korea it was big to dip your lines in glue and Glass and then fight them like that.

Sam
04-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Id keep an eye out for seabreezes early this week. today there was a light seabreeze at mabye 12 knots but I got a good feeling about earlier this week through at least wedsday. no promises, just a prediction........

Skyway Scott
04-21-2008, 11:09 AM
I think you may be right, Sam.

I am leaving pretty soon. ;)

wllix
04-21-2008, 11:13 AM
any of you weather gurus have any tips on when/where the winds coming next?

Brian360
04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Had just enough seabreeze at SB today to ride upwind. Around 10-13 knots from the W/NW. 14m and a flightdeck in flat water :) Winds should stay the same for the rest of the week.

Skyway Scott
04-21-2008, 08:25 PM
No idea about the wind this week.

I rode at PaG this afternoon. It was about 10 to maybe 12 knots. I rode a 12m.
I did a few upwinders/downwinders. Upwind about a mile to just past the Undertow, then back. Did that about 3 times.
I also went out into the Pass. The current was ripping out (gave much better apparent wind) and there were some decent waves about a 1/2 mile offshore where the sandbar is located.
That was pretty fun out in that area.

Skyway Scott
04-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Id keep an eye out for seabreezes early this week. today there was a light seabreeze at mabye 12 knots but I got a good feeling about earlier this week through at least wedsday. no promises, just a prediction........

Today at PaG pretty much rocked. You were right, Sam... good call.
Chase and I spent quite a bit of time in the actual Pass. The current was RIPPING out, so going upwind was as easy as falling in.
We were surfing the waves where the water goes from deep to shallow. Pretty much no matter how much I went downwind with the waves, I was still going upwind. It was pretty sweet.

Tom Stock
04-22-2008, 08:35 PM
rode bs on my sb, powered good time

Steve-O
04-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Looks like you guys were getting it good down south with the seabreezes the last 2 days. It was pretty weak up north county.

With more north in the forecast tomorrow, I wonder if the wind will be more intense up this way tomorrow.

I noticed last spring early summer a similar pattern with better winds down south than up north on certain days. Anyone have any thoughts about why this occurs? Many a time we would start a downwinder at IRB on our biggest kites and boards and end up around TI or down at Pass-a-grille and be lit out of our minds with monster boards to boot.

My thoughts are the bay has something to do with it as well as a more westerly component.

However, my gut for tomorrow is the north is going to be the place to be to get the better wind. I guess we will wait and see.

If you guys down there get it again, that will be three solid ones in a row.

Nice call Sam.

BigR
04-22-2008, 09:12 PM
LAST TWO OR THREE days have been completely solid seabreezes down here,
20 kts from 4 to 6 pm out of the west, up and then down pretty quick.

problem is you get out of work and home too late/

I think we'll get quite a few more.

Tom Stock
04-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Seems to happen at either PAG or IRB, and occasionally both at the same time.

I am sure there is a formula. Scott will figure it out and write a 5 page dissertation after this post.

Skyway Scott
04-22-2008, 09:37 PM
I gave out the formula a few years ago. I won't again. :)

I don't know the why's, (I only care about whats) I just know TI sucks for sea breezes and that in general the closer you get to PaG on a true sea breeze, the better.
TI is the worst, the worst!! When Tom first started to ride I would tell him that. He would never listen, get skunked at TI, and I would have been litt for hours at at PaG.

Today was the first good sea breeze of the whole season near PaG. Sort of unreal... they usually start in March and begin to die out right about now. Yesterday was only about 10 to 11 knots. Today was MUCH better.

Again, I don't know why, but there is zero doubt in my mind that strong outgoing tides affect the wind patterns and increase sea breezes in the PaG area. A fisherman first told me that about 15 years ago. I thought he was full of it. Not anymore. I have noticed in the last 5 years that nearly all strong sea breezes in that area have been associated with days having a strong outgoing tide. Today's tide was sick. http://www.capmel.com/tides.htm
That's not the whole formula, but an important variable. In other words, not all strong outgoing tides have sea breezes.
But about 90% of sea breezes coincided with a strong outgoing tide (near PaG).

Because the tide is 50 minutes later each day and tides weaken as we near a quarter moon, it's rare to get 4 solid seabreezes in a row.
It's very common to get 3, though.

It sounds bizarre and out of left field, but I believe it's true.
It's happened way to often over the years to be a random coincidence.

Tom Stock
04-22-2008, 09:50 PM
outgoing tide == shallow water and more visible land to heat by sun == temperature differential between cooler water and warm water/land == large thermal updraft area == stronger draw to supply thermal updraft == seabreeze.

kite-4-life
04-22-2008, 09:51 PM
It was good until dark at TI. No crowds either. Nice...:D
Downwinder tomorrow afternoon from Clearwater?
(813) 389-3683

bigairal
04-22-2008, 10:18 PM
another words whats your guess...will PAG rock????

Skyway Scott
04-22-2008, 10:23 PM
I would think so. It's better than 50/50. It will be better odds if it starts off with a NNE/NE/E/ENE component, not west, in the morning.

Al, thanks for that surfboard. I am really loving it. I rode it most of the day.

bigairal
04-22-2008, 10:44 PM
maybe see you tomorrow at PAG give me a call or post if you head out

Steve-O
04-23-2008, 08:15 AM
NNE this morning.....looks like another sea breeze may be on deck.