PDA

View Full Version : Lost Kite event at Big Beach - Long Post

robertr
04-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I was told during my kite lessons that everyone has the potential for a kite accident and to always practice the safety systems. I’m very glad I took the advice.
I'm writing this for advice and constructive criticism.
My wife daughter and I went to big beach this afternoon so I could do some kiting. I checked the wind and it was reading 16 with a max of 20. (Wind meter - gift from my wife.) I rigged up my 13 Best Waroo and my wife did an assisted launch. It was a little gusty once the kite was at 12 so I adjusted the de-power straps and flew the kite on the shore for a few minutes. I then got my board and walked into the water about chest deep. A guest hit me and I was lifted a few feet and then the kite fell straight down from 12. If fell about 10 to 15 feet and re-powered and I was lifted about 10 to 15 feet out of the water and I flew for a good 20 yards downwind. (I was so happy that I was in the water away from the beach.) The water impact was a bit hard and the kite dropped to the 10 position (off shore) and did 1 to 2 kite loops. I unhooked and the kite stayed at the 10 position. It didn't de-power. I was being pulled by the kite leash. I looked down to see the leash and the red steering line looped around my harness hook and the blue steering line wrapping around my left arm. I was pulled my leash safety with my right arm and stretched my left out so the line would clear my arm. Then I pulled the lines off the harness hooks and watch the kite fall into the water. I attempted to swim to the kite so I could deflate it but, it kept rolling over in the water and I couldn't keep up so I had to swim in. Needless to say a few people on the beach were a bit concerned. So I ran to the snack bar near the fort and informed the there was a kite in the water but, the kiter (Me) is fine. There is no need to call the coast guard. They were happy that I informed them and they let the rangers know. I then ran back to my wife and daughter (They are a bit pissed.) We packed up and went to North Beach and I spoke with the Rangers and the life guard supervisor. I told them there is a kite loose offshore and no one is in the water with it. I apologized profusely and they were very nice about it. The lifeguards spotted it about 3/4 of a mile offshore and moving slowly north.
I was wearing an impact vest and a helmet. The impact vest saved my butt and absorbed a hard hit. (This is where I thank John at WSW for telling me to get one a while back. THANKS) I did notice my helmet does have a nice scratch in it as well. I have no idea how it got there and I don't remember getting hit. I do know it didn't have one when I put it on at the beach. (I have been thanking my wife all afternoon for badgering me to get one.)
I know that someone did try and retrieve the kite but he was unable to locate it. I didn’t get his name but I know he was driving an orange jeep. Thanks for trying.
Robert

Skyway Scott
04-05-2008, 07:55 PM
It sounds like the primary thing you did wrong was launch a 13m kite in too much wind, and really gusty wind at that. It was blowing solid 20 plus, probably more like 25 and a 13m was too big.
We were at East Beach (just up the road), I was LIT on a 9m and most were on 9s.
Big Beach is exceptionally gusty on due South winds. Wind comes over land and the pier just south of where you were, making the wind total garbage.
I learned that one the hard way about 5 or 6 years ago out there, getting lofted immediately after a self launch.
I will only ride BB once it hits SW and I personally will never ride BB on a due South again. SSW is even sketchy out there.

It sounds like you tried to get the "right" wind speed, but because of the location of you on the beach, you may have been blocked down low on the ground from the "real wind". Also, my opinion, add at least 5 knots to what a wind meter says on a SE, SSE, S or SSW. It's pretty much always noticeably more windy up where the kite is.

Good call on notifying the rangers about the situation and being responsible in that manner.

Glad you are okay. It could have been a lot worse if you were lofted on the beach.

This aerial pic shows how due souths go over land and the pier before they get to you at BB. Really gusty in there on due S. BB is basically a "hole" behind land on S.... ugh.....

http://www.tbka.org/bigbeach.jpg

robertr
04-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I had moved down the beach to get away from some people. Looking at the map explains the wind shadow and why I thought the wind was more side-shore. I was on the bend in the beach and I goofed.
By the time I got unhooked from the kite I was a good 100 yards off shore. (Distance was my friend.)
Thanks for the advice.
Robert

Skyway Scott
04-05-2008, 08:29 PM
I did the same thing once, like I said. It's deceptive in there. I don't think you could have known that you were about to goof without being given opposite advice prior.
Once the sh.it hit the fan, it sounds like you did pretty well. Especially after, by being responsible and notifying and apologizing.

BB is probably one of the worst spots you could have been today in terms of gusty type winds. This stuff took some of us some time to figure out.
Hopefully the info will be made more public soon with good launch summaries that are accurate so people don't have to repeat mistakes.

Hopefully that kite shows up. I would guess a boater got it.

Tom Stock
04-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Glad they weren't chasing the kite with you still attached! Sounds like your day was worse than mine, glad you are ok. It was definitely too windy for a 13.. I put down an 11 after 10 minutes and went down to a 9. You weren't the only lofting today btw.

Hope the kite didn't end up on a crowded beach (unlikely considering you location) but you did your best to give everyone the heads up so good job there.

Again, glad you are ok, the kite will probably turn up. Did you write your name on it? What color is it?

robertr
04-06-2008, 05:59 AM
The kite is Red and Black and it doesn't have my name and number. Hind site is so much better. Go figure.
Thanks again for the advice,
Robert

kite-4-life
04-06-2008, 07:14 AM
glad you're OK
I can loan you a kite for today if you're going to East Beach
Scott- I have a disk full of info(launches, etc.) for you but you were gone before I got off the water.
Will try to get it up there soon.
Steve

Skyway Scott
04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Cool. I was there until about 5, got there at 10 am :)
I didn't see you. Tons of people there though, and I tend to stay upwind of everyone.

Steve-O
04-06-2008, 08:32 AM
When riding a new spot, some homework should be done about the place.

If locals are present, of course ask about the place. If locals aren't present, that should be an indicator that the place might not work.

Using google map earth to look for shadows as it relates to actual wind direction is also some good research.

Every area has a shop, and a simple phone call could also advise you on the best places to go for that day.

On your approach into Ft. Desoto....did you not see all the kites at East Beach? Maybe you were trying to stay away from the crowd, but there is a reason the crowd was there and not where you were.

I feel bad for your loss of kite, and hopefully it will return in one piece, and really glad you are ok.

Lastly, you might consider my kite safety class offered at Watersports West in Largo, Florida. It runs 9-11:30am on Saturdays and will get you completely dialed in on all of the safety aspects of kiting and how to avoid simple pitfalls such as yours. Plus we cover all of the riding spots in and around Tampa Bay. The information is priceless for someone new to the sport. Ride location is one of the most important decisions you will make as a kiter.

Tom Stock
04-06-2008, 08:46 AM
It was actually tough to see the kites yesterday... not sure why. I didn't see them until I was almost to east beach. High wind = lots of hard edging and small low kites I guess.

Skyway Scott
04-06-2008, 09:08 AM
In Robert's defense - It's not obvious BB sucks on a south when rigging.
Side shore seems safe, and it's often not until the kite gets "up" that you realize how gusty it is and get screwed. I'm no dumby and I fell in the same trap out there several years ago.

In addition, at least one website that lists launches describes BB as working perfectly fine on a South. Not sure if Robert got info off that site, but that would have only solidified his confidence out there.

It is true that picking an appropriate launch site is an exceptionally important decision in having a good (safe) day kiting. A comprehensive and accurate listing of launches is currently being worked on by Steve and others. This list will benefit from inputs from all riders regarding the accuracy of the descriptions, supplying pics we could add, or the addition of more info and more descriptions of spots not on the list. It's a skeleton right now, but that will change in just a couple days.

We have a lot of (known) spots being ridden at the moment. So, many people are aware of the spots because they see people out there at times. But, it may not be obvious to a new rider which wind directions aren't so hot for each spot, or the possible drawbacks to each spot (possible currents, things in water, etc.)

Anyone with useful information on launches for the list, please share so events like yesterday don't get repeated.

http://www.tbka.org/html/page3.php

Tom Stock
04-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Yeah I agree if you are going to post launch site info, it needs to be correct. Here for example it says "Anything except with East" for big beach (and a bunch of other sites):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=k&om=1&msa=0&z=10&ll=27.846362,-82.744904&spn=0.877905,1.277161&msid=114582183553526431398.00000111dc4fcb4cd7db3

Lassing park is also wrong, you can't ride there on a due north or south...

PAG is wrong, a south is side off.

Treasure island is wrong, you can't ride there in a north, it's side off.

I could keep going but you get the point. I got this link from the sticky at the top of this forum btw.

C. Moore
04-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Ah... I did this link a long time ago and I had asked for riders input since I didn't ride a lot of these areas. Please add more input if you wish. I'm open for any input so people can use this information to make wise choices.

-Chris

kite-4-life
04-06-2008, 09:27 PM
The TBKA (Tampa Bay Kiteboarders Association) site is under construction, but the forum is up and running so feel free to add info there. We will be using this for all association activities and updates.
Please use your real first name and last initial as your username when you sign up.
http://tbka.org/forum

Steve S

Tom Stock
04-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Yeah, Chris I remember you saying you fixed a lot of those.. but looks like they didn't save or I got an old link.

Good effort though getting all of those sites listed in the first place... the rest is just the details.

C. Moore
04-07-2008, 11:29 AM
I had a bad lofting experience at EB that day. It was late in the day and the wind seemed to have dropped a bit from that morning. The wind hadn't actually dropped but shifted more out of the SW as I latter learned the hard way. I made the mistake of launching by the water and kite by the cars. The kite launched and drifted back into the window a bit so I walked upwind to compensate the drift. The kite stabilized and I proceeded to take it up to 12. I found out that wind was being shadowed by the trees and once the kite got above the trees it took off straight to 12 and up I went, about 3 feet but was dragged at least 50 feet. Brian Woods quickly grabbed me with his tiger like instincts and saved me from being dragged into the parked cars feet first. (Thanks Brian sorry your new shirt got dirty)

I always tell people to launch the kite towards the water and I didn't take my own advice. I let my guard down thinking the wind dropped but in fact it had picked up and I was just in a shadow from the trees.

So from now on I will use my own advice in launch the kite towards water. I have a nice strawberry on the left side of my ass to remind me to preach what I teach. Sorry Toby and Eric, I will not post any pictures of my strawberry on my ass. :)

-Chris

Tom Stock
04-07-2008, 11:50 AM
3ft, try 8-10 feet... you were over everyone's head! Saw it from the water and honestly I thought you were gonna get drilled. Also saw the incredible tackle.

C. Moore
04-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Really.. It didn't seem that high. Yeah that was a good tackle on Brian's part. He's has some cat like reflexes. :)

Danimal8199
04-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Sorry Chris, Bryan told me about it. I saw his shirt too so I gave him a Corona and told him to use tide with bleach alternative!

kite-4-life
04-07-2008, 12:49 PM
My eventful experience was by the sandbar, when a friend's kite crashed in front of me and I yanked the bar the other way. I got tangled in a line and luckily broke through it when I got snatched forward about 30 feet. (Sorry, Chris B.) I did not get any cuts from the line because he had already released the kite. If he would have been trying to relaunch, I would have been in trouble, and most likely tangled in the kite itself. (Quick thinking and early reaction to the situation on Chris's part!)WHEEWW!
One thing I try to do on the water is point in my intended direction, either upwind, or down at the water to go downwind.

Steve-O
04-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Chris,

Glad to hear your ok. That is a very valid situation at EB with SW winds.

I have put in my launch notes about EB that the place works from NNE to SSW. Sounds like I am in the ball park.

I have shared a Ride Guide that I put together for my students with Steve S. He intends to incorporate alot of it into the TBKA.org site.

I feel it is pretty accurate, but I did not get specific about locations along the Gulf of Mexico. Tom brought up some good points. I think that is an area that could use more detail for sure.

Skyway Scott
04-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Steve,

I am hoping to put that info up on a Wiki that summarizes all the spots.
http://www.tbka.org/TBKAWiki/index.php?title=Local_Launches

as well as on a website, perhaps.

I am really hoping for help from a bunch of people to get a complete guide done. Having the info in a tidy format would make is easy to read.
As opposed to run long run on sentence/paragraph.

Can you guys think of some suggestions for maybe 5 to 8 common headings and run with it? If so, that'd be awesome. I could post them to the wiki.
The form format is moderately cumbersome and not as fast to navigate, so I am more than willing to format it for the Wiki if the info is "broken up" into subheadings. :)

kite-4-life
04-09-2008, 06:52 AM
I think the Wiki is going to work really good, and Steve-O's Ride Guide is the best I have seen and has a consistent look to it with good pics.
Thanks Scott! This is a great idea so everyone can add what they know about the spots.

bryanleighty
04-09-2008, 07:02 AM
maybe break it out into wind directions and give advice on each spot accordingly..

i also give folks the link that is in my signature.. i know that some of the info is not exactly accurate.. maybe you could revise each launch info..

Skyway Scott
04-09-2008, 10:42 AM
We currently have some pretty good info out there (and some pretty inaccurate stuff) :)

The nice thing about the wiki is that we can all collaborate on it to insure it's accuracy as a team.
It looks like we have a pretty healthy head start with the two Steves info.
All I am hoping for at this point is a standardized format. Primarily because it makes quickly finding (and adding to) info really quick. Wiki means quick, btw.

Something like ---

SKYWAY NORTH

Most Favorable Wind Conditions:

Water Depth/Conditions:

Recommended Skill Level:

Hazards:

Etc.:

Etc.:

Additional comments:

And then fill in the blanks.

This has some advantages. First, easy to read. Second, easy to edit and add to, without breaking up a paragraph or needing total command of the language (simple is more gooder).

Any ideas on a standardized layout, before we dive into it?
I can put pics galore on the Wiki as well. I can not embed YouTube though, which semi sucks.

If anyone is totally new to wikis, here is a good vid showing their usefulness for collaboration : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dnL00TdmLY

Skyway Scott
04-09-2008, 11:31 AM
maybe break it out into wind directions and give advice on each spot accordingly..

i also give folks the link that is in my signature.. i know that some of the info is not exactly accurate.. maybe you could revise each launch info..

Is there a way to edit what currently exists on that Google Map?
I would like to link to it, but... quite a bit of the wind directions are off.
It would defeat the purpose. Is it possible to edit it -

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=k&om=1&msa=0&z=10&ll=27.846362,-82.744904&spn=0.877905,1.277161&msid=114582183553526431398.00000111dc4fcb4cd7db3

Tom Stock
04-09-2008, 12:09 PM
When are you going to allow people to register and update the wiki pages?

I tried but it wouldn't let me register.

inferno
04-09-2008, 12:47 PM
When are you going to allow people to register and update the wiki pages?

I tried but it wouldn't let me register.

sorry Tom,
we are only going to let the experienced riders add info :)

J/K

Tom Stock
04-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Happened to you too huh.

Skyway Scott
04-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I unlocked it at 10 am.
Hmmm.....

Let me know. I am putting a Google Maps extension in there right now and fiddling with it.
This Wiki has some fairly strange markup language. Not hard, just different. Like this '''BOLD''' were make the word bold and this ==Heading== is a level one heading.

Let me know if you are locked out. I had someone sign in, no problemo, at 10 am.

Skyway Scott
04-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Have you guys even tried since this morning?
I would like to know, in case their is a bug.
I have had a few other people hop on. Let me know, please. :???:

kite-4-life
04-09-2008, 04:06 PM
I just got in from work and checked it out! Lookin GOOD SCOTTY!! Weather links page is going and events page also!
Wiki-Wiki:D

Skyway Scott
04-09-2008, 05:27 PM
We could use some more help... hinti hinti....

I just changed to the look of it. Hopefully it's not too hideous. :o

Woodson
04-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Glad to see the gang working together and producing some solid knowledge for riding in the area.

Also glad to get out and see all of you last Saturday. Hell of a day!

See you guys out there!

linhster
04-09-2008, 10:50 PM
It looks like many experienced kiters are being fooled by Mother Nature. I guess you always have to be on your toes.....or heels. Or just be carefull.