PDA

View Full Version : Chris Moore in Kiteboarding Magazine Article

Erick
04-04-2008, 09:34 AM
In this month Kiteboarding Magazine there is an article called "Anybody's Race" pretty interesting article by the way. Our Chris Moore talks about The Tampa Bay Kitemasters race and why these kinds of races are becoming more appealing to the average kiteboarder.

Good Job Chris!!

Attached is an extract of the Article.

Skyway Scott
04-04-2008, 11:00 AM
When IS the race, btw?? I hope this mag isn't as sue happy as Real. :)

Tom Stock
04-04-2008, 11:09 AM
what race

Steve-O
04-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Just a consideration for next year's Kitemaster's.......

I feel having the race in the gulf gives us so many more potential race days.

The race could be run North to South or South to North.

The trolley system could be used as easy transportation for everyone. No worries on how to get back to your car, even in a self rescue situation.

(Sand Key to Pass-a-Grille or vice versa.)

Safety is far better as racers have many more outs all along the gulf.

We are blessed here in Tampa Bay to have so many options, and we should showcase that uniqueness to everyone. Of all places we should never be skunked on a downwind race.

So much work has gone into this years race, but I feel narrowing our wind window to a specific direction doesn't take full advantage of what we have.

Just food for thought.......what other race has so many potential options?

I watched all the races this year have such issues finding the "right" wind. If we play our cards right, we could pick the day.....just about guarantee a weekend race.

amber
04-04-2008, 06:18 PM
What race? Thanks Tom. After hours of work done by our race committee of volunteers we just decided to make the wind stop blowing starting Feb 1st (wait...did it ever start this year?). sorry about that. ha ha! ;)

The race WILL happen. We've got 9 more months to include it as the "2008" TBKM. LOL! After so much time and energy putting things together and so many people wanting to participate we didn't want to do it half-assed. It sucks that there hasn't been any good NE but this is not normal for our area for this time of year. Last winter we had nice NE days all the time.

There was a lot of talk before we decided it was "back to the bay" and i'm not going to bore you with it all but we appreciate suggestions for future races. Hopefully we'll get some great weekend wind and have another great event.

bayflite
04-04-2008, 06:40 PM
there >>>WILL<<< be strong NE winds before this season ends in june.
you guys can't wait till next season to have this race!
april/may winds are dominated by east winds, just ask raul, he'll tell ya.
as for the gulf...i love riding the gulf...but races in the gulf exposes us way more to...well...you know.

toby wilson
04-04-2008, 11:50 PM
Sweet article Chris! Can't wait for the race!!!

BigR
04-05-2008, 04:50 AM
april/may winds are dominated by east winds, just ask raul, he'll tell ya.
We are in a "La Nina" year.

The jet stream is shifted down towards TX then goes NE to New England, Bypassing us. Therefore no high pressure systems set up in either the gulf or offshore hatteras which would normally give us good NW wind or NE wind respectively

April/ may are generally good wind months for us, but the dry season is already over, gig is up............ hope for sea breezes ( Texas, Hatteras & NE should still get the fronts we were supposed to )

Thanks Cows....................

kitekristrudo
04-05-2008, 11:01 AM
just wanted to say i am really looking forward to the tampa bay race and want to thank amber for all of her hard work and dedication to put this race on. this race could not have happened without her and she is a legend for us girls. she will win it i am sure of it.

Skyway Scott
04-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Tuesday
Northeast winds 15 to 20 knots with gusts to around 30 knots becoming east 5 to 10 knots late in the afternoon. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. Slight chance of thunderstorms.

Tuesday Night
East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Wednesday
East winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet subsiding to 2 feet in the afternoon. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of showers.

Tom Stock
04-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Sweeeet it's on!! You guys gonna race or what? Two days of wind in the right direction!

BigR
04-06-2008, 08:59 AM
race or what

Jason hasn't sent out a 3 day race notice as of yet , so I would assume no race,

Free ride!

C. Moore
04-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Jay and I talked last night. We are going to make a decision tonight if the forecast holds. Start doing your wind dance guys.

amber
04-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Raul, if this is a la nina year, what does that say for next year?

BigR
04-06-2008, 10:55 AM
Raul, if this is a la nina year, what does that say for next year?
For us, the only thing it means for sure is 1.) the jet stream goes north this past winter and spring ( giving us our crappy wind season this year ) and 2.) Many more number of hurricanes this summer which are of higher intensity

Usually 4-5 years between cycles (last la nina was 2002) so we should be back to a regular ( windy ) season next year

happy b-day! you posting new pics Amber?

CrazyJay
04-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I saw the forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday(15-30 knots) but everything else I saw showed it only being around 12 knots. Was hoping it would improve but unfortunately it didnt.
Keep praying to the wind gods.

The new update:

TUESDAY AND TUESDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS.

WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT
SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS.