PDA

View Full Version : Youtube vs. Vimeo Video Quality

ricki
03-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Ever noticed fuzzy, pixelated images, faded colors and other issues with youtube hosted videos? I understand you can improve things by carefully configuring your video for youtube parameters before uploading.

On the other hand, I usually have sharper resolution and better color fidelity using vimeo.com. Part of the process at vimeo is handled manually which seems to help.

You can compare the same video on both sites simultaneously to help comparison at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=4402

mobettah
03-29-2008, 10:16 PM
It has been an ongoing frustrating thing with Youtube. I don't really notice any difference in quality even when you use what they recommend. Frustrating when you have a camera capable of doing HD and really good quality SD.

I've just started using Vimeo. It will be interesting to see the difference.

ricki
03-29-2008, 10:35 PM
I have noticed some very clear videos on youtube so gave credence to the claim. I haven't had much success myself on youtube either playing with parameters.

You should have seen the original comparison video clip. The youtube version was really bad, totally out of focus and pixelated. I redid the video and uploaded it to both resulting in what you can see at the link above. The resolution is still off as is the color fidelity, just not as bad as it was.

mobettah
03-30-2008, 10:15 PM
I have noticed some very clear videos on youtube so gave credence to the claim. I haven't had much success myself on youtube either playing with parameters.

You should have seen the original comparison video clip. The youtube version was really bad, totally out of focus and pixelated. I redid the video and uploaded it to both resulting in what you can see at the link above. The resolution is still off as is the color fidelity, just not as bad as it was.

I suspect that some of the folks that have really good YouTube video quality are in a special class (Director??) with YouTube. One such person is smpfilms - Corey the safety guy. Look up the Mean Kitty rap - really good quality. I use Pinnacle 11 to render my videos and even HD video don't come out very well. DivX encoded ones seem to be the best.