PDA

View Full Version : Issues with jumping

poop miller
03-16-2008, 10:36 PM
I am just starting out jumping and I am having an issue. Every time I manage to get up in the air, when I land (read crash) my kite just completely loses it and tumbles out of the sky. I am not sure what is causing this. To make matters worse it usually inverts itself on the way down and the 5th line goes overtop of the kite which makes relaunch impossible without help. Any suggestions or ideas would be must appreciated. Thanks.

Todd RT
03-17-2008, 06:22 AM
I just started in May, so I'm no expert. But sounds like you're 'Going Round the Horn'. Try starting with smaller jumps and just bring the kite up to above your head. Then right before you hit the water, bring the kite back in front of you to start moving forward.

You need to get the Real Kiteboarding instructional videos. They have helped me out a lot!

inferno
03-17-2008, 06:35 AM
Then right before you hit the water, bring the kite back in front of you

thats it......

the same mistake everyone makes when they start :)

toby wilson
03-17-2008, 06:50 AM
This is just a stab in the dark poop but I assume you ride a blue and orange SS TD2 or TD3?

Tom Stock
03-17-2008, 06:57 AM
After you send it, immediately get it back over your head...keep it there until you are about to land (5ft off water) and then dive it as hard as you can.

poop miller
03-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely try that. I think I was definitely trying to send it to hard to start off. I have the first two real DVDs but I need to get the third one. I fly a yellow/black North Rebel. Thanks again.

Danimal8199
03-17-2008, 08:20 AM
I learned that becasue of fear of the front hand, you will go around the horn and have a major yardsale. If thats the case you must take ground school and get plenty of water time!

oh boy I smell a REAL law suit coming my way!!!

BoBo the Safety Clown
03-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Start with kite at 10:30-11:00
as you send it edge away from the kite to load up the lines
once you leave the water,sheet in and remove your back hand and do a stylish grab and redirect with front hand. DON'T let kite go past 1:00
This prevents dropping like a rock and a grab adds stability in the air.
Practice your technique going slow and have PLENTY of room downwind.
front hand positioning depends on wind speed and how quick your kite is
May want to check your line lengths too, should be all equal.

Skyway Scott
03-17-2008, 08:50 AM
You were swinging under your kite due to not edging your board before take off. You were gliding across the water under the kite as you went to jump.

Edge against the kite as you take off. You will jump much higher and lessen the kite's tendency to get over your head.
Because you know it's a possible problem, make efforts to jump only when it's clear downwind.
You almost took me out once with your kite.

We all definitely started somewhere and none of us are perfect. Mistakes happen. But, knowing this, try to avoid doing things that you aren't great at right in front of other people. I am not mad at all, just giving sort of obvious advice.

toby wilson
03-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely try that. I think I was definitely trying to send it to hard to start off. I have the first two real DVDs but I need to get the third one. I fly a yellow/black North Rebel. Thanks again.

Well it's good to know that at least the poop is a floater!!! LOL! Anyway, keep practicing and you will get it. Sounds like you are right there, the inversion part must be frustrating... Also, whenever you are at the beach if you want someone to watch you and give pointers, most anyone that you see jumping well will be more than happy to help you out...

Steve-O
03-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I think a good jumping skill is to be able to do an ollie first. Get powered up, keep the kite at 2 or 10 depending which way you are going, and be able to pop the board off the water without moving the kite. Your loading up the back of the board with pressure and releasing the board into the air....ala ollie. Its the fundamental of a good jump IMO.

All the kite info provided is good, but work on that ollie as well.

Joyride covers jumping in detail.

Late

Todd RT
03-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Kinda funny... Steve-O and I had this exact conversation a few weeks ago.

I simply went back to the basics, did little jumps, focussing on technique... not height. Somehow over the last few months, I had developed a bad habit of bringing the kite too far back (like 10-11 o clock) and I'd wind up going BACKWARDS after a jump.

I also focused on the ollie or (load and pop). (amazing you can easily ollie like 6 feet in the air without moving your kite at all!)

On Sat. I was amazed at how high I could get by doing a load and pop, at the same moment I did a small jump. Easily 10-15ft, and very controlled.
:cool:

<jason
03-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Need some pointers myself...
Going to be asking some of you guys that have befriended me on here for some advice next time...

Mainly how you choke down the feelings of "I know when I send this kite hard Im going to land upside down, backwards, and its going to hurt bad" so I can actually jump higher than in my avatar...( Which im stoked about bt the way....)

Know what I mean...?