PDA

View Full Version : Internet Wind Forecasts - Explained

ricki
06-13-2005, 09:23 AM
There are about 5 main forecast models which generate data - programs are then written, by the individual sites (windguru, xc, yrnet) to interpret the set of data they subscribe to into pretty colourful stars and pictures - do you honestly believe that the guy(s) behind windguru / XC etc has the time to manually evaluate every beach across the world - looking at the synoptic charts and then saying to himself - "oooh looks like F5 at West Kirby next Sat, think I'll put 7 stars on that Sat" !!!

So you'll never get them forecasting the local "thermal type thing" as in yesterday and which so many people missed because they were suckered in by the likes of wind guru........

I make an early morning "stab" at a forecast on the day, based on my interpretation of the charts and yrnet, which I think is the best - and then add to that my own "local take" on how things might develop....

..."Weather update Sun June 12th 08:00: - Today could be good, clouds should clear the coastline by noon and the current SW'ly should be topped up with the "Worthing Sea Breeze", so by 15:00 we should have a solid 20mph plus. Later winds are due to go NW'ly - so if you're out on the water after 18:30 be aware that a sudden "switch" could happen as the wind quickly veers from SW'ly to NW'ly. Monday the winds could well back round to more of a W'ly direction and could veer back further SW'ly with an afternoon sea breeze"

And I was quite spot on - mind you - bugger all use for the likes of Tony up North - but YRnet for you guys up there is far better than WindGuru and XC

XC can be useful for seeing where there is wind about - but again, sounding like a scratched record, the data can be a couple of hours out - but now there are so many more "local" weather stations updating around the place......

http://www.seaspritesports.com/weatherframe.htm

Reposted from: http://212.67.202.47/%7Etonyshep/newforum/viewtopic.php?t=3770