PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to learn.

Taos
06-06-2005, 06:09 PM
New to the board, and had a question. I am heading to Cozumel next week and am really wanting to learn how to kiteboard. I am a big guy 6'3 270 pounds. I have been windsurfing for 15 years, and dont have a problem. Will my weight make it harder for me?

Thank You

Taos
06-06-2005, 06:09 PM
New to the board, and had a question. I am heading to Cozumel next week and am really wanting to learn how to kiteboard. I am a big guy 6'3 270 pounds. I have been windsurfing for 15 years, and dont have a problem. Will my weight make it harder for me?

Thank You

ricki
06-07-2005, 02:02 PM

Thank You

If there is enough wind, your weight shouldn't present much of a problem. I am guessing but if the wind is much more than 15 mph with a reasonably sized kite, after training, I think you should be OK. In higher wind, say around 20 mph and up you may be the one with a weight advantage! As you have been windsurfing for quite a while and at a higher weight you have a strong appreciation of wind, sail and board size necessary to get you going. There are parallels to this in kiteboarding.

You may have a harder time in the lower wind range, say around and below 15 mph perhaps. Larger kites are far more efficient than they were only a few years ago. So, even though you will be on larger sizes in the lower wind range than some others, the kites should still behave reasonably well these days.

I am not familar with kiteboarding schools on Cozumel. There is ChiroJoe's operation not so far away at Playa Del Carmen on the mainland. He has a nice warmup guide on the website as well at:

http://www.kiteboardmexico.com/web/KSSG_elbow.htm

You can checkout Tulum while you are over there.

http://www.cancuncd.com/m_cancun_pictures/Ae14-tulum.jpg

Have a good trip.

ricki
06-07-2005, 02:02 PM

Thank You

If there is enough wind, your weight shouldn't present much of a problem. I am guessing but if the wind is much more than 15 mph with a reasonably sized kite, after training, I think you should be OK. In higher wind, say around 20 mph and up you may be the one with a weight advantage! As you have been windsurfing for quite a while and at a higher weight you have a strong appreciation of wind, sail and board size necessary to get you going. There are parallels to this in kiteboarding.

You may have a harder time in the lower wind range, say around and below 15 mph perhaps. Larger kites are far more efficient than they were only a few years ago. So, even though you will be on larger sizes in the lower wind range than some others, the kites should still behave reasonably well these days.

I am not familar with kiteboarding schools on Cozumel. There is ChiroJoe's operation not so far away at Playa Del Carmen on the mainland. He has a nice warmup guide on the website as well at:

http://www.kiteboardmexico.com/web/KSSG_elbow.htm

You can checkout Tulum while you are over there.

http://www.cancuncd.com/m_cancun_pictures/Ae14-tulum.jpg

Have a good trip.

onepimpinsummer
06-07-2005, 11:51 PM
absolutely not a problem! I've seen 300 pound guys out in fairly light winds doing ok. Rick couldn't have said it better. your appreciation of the water and wind from your windsurfing experience will come in handy. 15 to 20 will probably be more of your sweet spot, but if you have the cash to pick up any one of the new light wind specific kites, you will be even more satisfied when it drops a little below that. The industry is growing by leaps and bounds, and the gear is getting better day by day. Its almost like computers. By the time you get it home and out of the box, it's already outdated. No worries though, almost any current kite should keep you happy and kiting for years. Even a kite from a few years ago still works really well. One thing to keep in mind when finding a school down there is to find one that is pasa or iko certified, or at least has a great rep for quality lessons, and also has the latest gear. I'm sure most would agree, your first lesson is the most important, so choose wisely. In this case, cheaper is not always better. Good luck and happy kiting!!! :lol: sounds like a GREAT trip!!! bring us back some nice kiteboarding pix

onepimpinsummer
06-07-2005, 11:51 PM
absolutely not a problem! I've seen 300 pound guys out in fairly light winds doing ok. Rick couldn't have said it better. your appreciation of the water and wind from your windsurfing experience will come in handy. 15 to 20 will probably be more of your sweet spot, but if you have the cash to pick up any one of the new light wind specific kites, you will be even more satisfied when it drops a little below that. The industry is growing by leaps and bounds, and the gear is getting better day by day. Its almost like computers. By the time you get it home and out of the box, it's already outdated. No worries though, almost any current kite should keep you happy and kiting for years. Even a kite from a few years ago still works really well. One thing to keep in mind when finding a school down there is to find one that is pasa or iko certified, or at least has a great rep for quality lessons, and also has the latest gear. I'm sure most would agree, your first lesson is the most important, so choose wisely. In this case, cheaper is not always better. Good luck and happy kiting!!! :lol: sounds like a GREAT trip!!! bring us back some nice kiteboarding pix

Taos
06-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Thanks for everyones imput. I am real excited about learning. I was at a local lake yesterday (Lake Hefner) asking question. I hope to get in 4-6 lessons in Cozumel, get home and buy some gear.

I will get plenty of pics. Will post when I return.

Thanks Again
Richard Rowe

Taos
06-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Thanks for everyones imput. I am real excited about learning. I was at a local lake yesterday (Lake Hefner) asking question. I hope to get in 4-6 lessons in Cozumel, get home and buy some gear.

I will get plenty of pics. Will post when I return.

Thanks Again
Richard Rowe