PDA

View Full Version : Wind at Key West around Mid March

vdeub
02-03-2008, 04:14 PM
I am thinking about an intense kite training week around Mid-March with the KiteHouse, but as i will come the west coast, i would like to have some clues about the wind at this period.
Can i expect to kite every day ?
In the bay area, the wind in season is pretty solid and "easy" to forecast..
I know that they offer to reimburse the day if you cannot kite, but the whole point of the travel will be about kiting , so ...

Out of curiosity , how good is your forecast usually in the region ? can i be sure one week ahead or maybe have the time to cancel the flight ?

thanx,

Greg
02-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Forecast is solid and March is a very dependable month here for wind.

ricki
02-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I am thinking about an intense kite training week around Mid-March with the KiteHouse, but as i will come the west coast, i would like to have some clues about the wind at this period.
Can i expect to kite every day ?
In the bay area, the wind in season is pretty solid and "easy" to forecast..
I know that they offer to reimburse the day if you cannot kite, but the whole point of the travel will be about kiting , so ...

Out of curiosity , how good is your forecast usually in the region ? can i be sure one week ahead or maybe have the time to cancel the flight ?

thanx,

As a rule, seven days should increase the odds of a reliable forecast substantially. As Greg says, March is a good month anyway. Send Paul Menta an email near the flight DL and he'll give you a good estimate of the prospects.

vdeub
02-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks. which sensor of iKiteSurf do you look for KeyWest ? Airport one ? SandKey ?

For accomadation, is there any camping spot nearby ?

greg meintjes
02-07-2008, 05:24 AM
Sand key gives the most accurate reading due to it,s location.

Greg

ricki
02-07-2008, 06:37 AM
Thanks. which sensor of iKiteSurf do you look for KeyWest ? Airport one ? SandKey ?

Checkout the Florida Kiteboarding Guide, it has links to campgrounds, etc.

http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42

BigR
02-07-2008, 10:26 AM

sometimes these campsites are taken 4-6 months in advance,

make sure and book early, especially the nice ones like bahia honda