PDA

View Full Version : First Response For Kiteboarders To Bodily Trauma

ricki
06-05-2005, 08:34 PM
NOTE: The identities of the victims and locations of the accidents are not included in these summaries. Given the nature of reported observations and difficulty of fact checking, these accounts would be best considered as plausible, hypothetical scenarios as opposed to actual incidents for purposes of discussion.

Case #2 involves poor victim response to severe trauma after the accident. It happens to also have some similar circumstances to another accident, Case #3, that happened in another location now that I think about it. Case #2 involved a cerebral concussion from a board leash driven board impact in excessively gusty conditions for a first time kiter. He felt "sore" and decided to sit out the rest of the day. I believe he may have suffered an epidural hematoma and was in a lucid state (thanks for setting me straight SAB), upon returning to the beach. I went through something similar myself about five years ago without the board impact. I think I hit a guardrail of a house and tree instead. Anyway, about two hours later he passed out momentarily but revived within seconds. He then entered a coma shortly thereafter. He was transported to a clinic and then on to a hospital. He reportedly died from "a fractured skull and cerebral bleeding" several days later. The person that relayed this information to my source was a physician. He felt that had the victim responded in a more timely fashion shortly after his accident he might not have died.

Case #3 involved cervical trauma and paralysis bellow the knees in a rider following dragging and lofting. By one report after the impact the victim was seen to get up and walk around for a short time. It is felt that if this happened, it may have heavily contributed to the later condition of paralysis.

In these later two cases, I would like to try to build better awareness in the kiteboarder community, aside from the normal focus (e.g. weather, launch selection criteria, non-board leash use and safety gear, etc.), to appropriate first response to bodily trauma. Such trauma seems to be a fairly common risk with dragging and lofting. If the victim remembers the cautions great, but I would like other kiteboarders to be sensitive to what they can and should do in terms of keeping the victim immobilized, symptoms of some of the more obvious nervous system disorders, seeking proper medical care rapidly and other measures as indicated. This later set of precautions is totally out of my ballpark. Also, I am not trying to replace paramedics or an advanced first aid course either. I really just want to try to build better awareness and sensitivity to what can go wrong and how to try to avoid it from happening.

I was thinking of cutting and pasting quotes from online TBI and related references with links. From what I have seen however, it would simply be too long. Our audience sad to say has quite a limited attention span at times. So, I was thinking something shorter and to the point on the basics of first response that could be conveyed in online forums with links to more detailed references might work. If you can help in this latter case that would be outstanding. There would be no need to mention your identity in this unless you wouldn't mind attribution for your help.

ricki
06-05-2005, 08:34 PM
NOTE: The identities of the victims and locations of the accidents are not included in these summaries. Given the nature of reported observations and difficulty of fact checking, these accounts would be best considered as plausible, hypothetical scenarios as opposed to actual incidents for purposes of discussion.

Case #2 involves poor victim response to severe trauma after the accident. It happens to also have some similar circumstances to another accident, Case #3, that happened in another location now that I think about it. Case #2 involved a cerebral concussion from a board leash driven board impact in excessively gusty conditions for a first time kiter. He felt "sore" and decided to sit out the rest of the day. I believe he may have suffered an epidural hematoma and was in a lucid state (thanks for setting me straight SAB), upon returning to the beach. I went through something similar myself about five years ago without the board impact. I think I hit a guardrail of a house and tree instead. Anyway, about two hours later he passed out momentarily but revived within seconds. He then entered a coma shortly thereafter. He was transported to a clinic and then on to a hospital. He reportedly died from "a fractured skull and cerebral bleeding" several days later. The person that relayed this information to my source was a physician. He felt that had the victim responded in a more timely fashion shortly after his accident he might not have died.

Case #3 involved cervical trauma and paralysis bellow the knees in a rider following dragging and lofting. By one report after the impact the victim was seen to get up and walk around for a short time. It is felt that if this happened, it may have heavily contributed to the later condition of paralysis.

In these later two cases, I would like to try to build better awareness in the kiteboarder community, aside from the normal focus (e.g. weather, launch selection criteria, non-board leash use and safety gear, etc.), to appropriate first response to bodily trauma. Such trauma seems to be a fairly common risk with dragging and lofting. If the victim remembers the cautions great, but I would like other kiteboarders to be sensitive to what they can and should do in terms of keeping the victim immobilized, symptoms of some of the more obvious nervous system disorders, seeking proper medical care rapidly and other measures as indicated. This later set of precautions is totally out of my ballpark. Also, I am not trying to replace paramedics or an advanced first aid course either. I really just want to try to build better awareness and sensitivity to what can go wrong and how to try to avoid it from happening.

I was thinking of cutting and pasting quotes from online TBI and related references with links. From what I have seen however, it would simply be too long. Our audience sad to say has quite a limited attention span at times. So, I was thinking something shorter and to the point on the basics of first response that could be conveyed in online forums with links to more detailed references might work. If you can help in this latter case that would be outstanding. There would be no need to mention your identity in this unless you wouldn't mind attribution for your help.

ricki
06-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Some comments and ideas from an Emergency Physician follow. It would be good to receive the comments and opinions of other members and from various areas of practice. Even with the relatively small membership at this point, the broad diversity of training, experience and perspective from various parts of the medical profession is impressive.

"This is a typical story of an epidural hematoma (or subdural) involving blunt head injury, possible loss of consciousness, a lucid interval and subsequent loss of consciousness and death. These are avoidable deaths with timely intervention. Brain damage is not always avoidable. That being said, my professional life is spent searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack of brain bleeding after concussion. I probably cat scan 100 heads to find one. The vast majority of those I do find do not need surgery. On the flip side, you can’t get everyone who has had a concussion to go the the ER. Sometimes people get their bell rung and see stars and don’t know the severity of their injury. Some people just want to be tough. Also, the mortality from these I’m sure is significantly greater in underdeveloped countries as opposed to in the states a short ambulance ride away from a waiting neurosurgeon."

"To state the obvious, board leashes are dangerous. Board leashes without helmets are fatal.

The bottom line is always launch toward the water, keep the kite low, and try to stay out of the chicken loop when launching. Convincing people to do that will save more skin.

An ounce of prevention…"

ricki
06-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Some comments and ideas from an Emergency Physician follow. It would be good to receive the comments and opinions of other members and from various areas of practice. Even with the relatively small membership at this point, the broad diversity of training, experience and perspective from various parts of the medical profession is impressive.

"This is a typical story of an epidural hematoma (or subdural) involving blunt head injury, possible loss of consciousness, a lucid interval and subsequent loss of consciousness and death. These are avoidable deaths with timely intervention. Brain damage is not always avoidable. That being said, my professional life is spent searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack of brain bleeding after concussion. I probably cat scan 100 heads to find one. The vast majority of those I do find do not need surgery. On the flip side, you can’t get everyone who has had a concussion to go the the ER. Sometimes people get their bell rung and see stars and don’t know the severity of their injury. Some people just want to be tough. Also, the mortality from these I’m sure is significantly greater in underdeveloped countries as opposed to in the states a short ambulance ride away from a waiting neurosurgeon."

"To state the obvious, board leashes are dangerous. Board leashes without helmets are fatal.

The bottom line is always launch toward the water, keep the kite low, and try to stay out of the chicken loop when launching. Convincing people to do that will save more skin.

An ounce of prevention…"

ricki
06-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Eagle provided the following comments regarding first response to a kiteboarder injury accident from a paramedic's perspective:

"I would like to see one of the publications address what should be done in the event of kiter injury.
What to do ?
a.Notify EMS
b. check the ABC's (airway,breathing,circulation)
c. ensure no further injury occurs to kiter/bystander (secure kite)
d. consider removal from the water
e. neck/spine stabilization until EMS arrival
f. direct pressure applied to any external bleeding
g. identify resources (lifeguards, off duty docs or other healthcare providers) "

and the following general comments regarding head trauma and response:

"The difference between the epidural hematoma and subdural is the onset of symptoms, and origin of the bleed. Subdurals can take days to weeks to manifest into textbook symptoms, although close friends and relatives do report the victim often acts "slightly odd". The bleed is often of venous origin involving smaller vessels. The epidural has a rapid onset, LOC followed by lucid interval then coma. Most always involves the Meningeal artery and usually results from blunt trauma to the temporal/parietal region of the skull.

A loss of consciousness for less than 5 minutes is typical of a cerebral concussion, which a full recovery is likely. Loss of consciousness for more than 5 minutes is typical of a cerebral contusion (brain bruise) and this carries a high risk of neuro impairment and should be investigated through CT studies. Head injuries in older people are more serious, and warrant a thorough exam.

For the layperson, if the victim is unconscious the first priority should be removal from the water to the beach and immobilizing the neck by holding the lateral part of the head. Airway is opened by pushing the mandible up and away from the maxilla (aka modified jaw thrust) An obstucted airway (tongue) is common in those unconscious, simply opening the airway utilizing the above mentioned technique may save a life. It is rather non invasive and can be performed by many laypersons with CPR training.

In someone who is conscious, I would advise they lay still while manually holding c-spine with the hands until medics arrive. Reassurance and a calm demeanor goes along way in this situation. Sometimes head injury patients can be unpredictable, bizzare and violent. If the person is acting in this manner the best thing to do is not place yourself in danger and allow EMS to handle the situation- all it takes is one call.

With an isolated head injury the main concerns are Level of Consciousness, whether the airway is open or not, and cervical/spinal immobilization. The airway and unstable cervical fractures are the immediate life threats.

Penetrating head trauma is treated in the same manner, only the onset of neurological symtoms occur more rapidly, i.e Cushings Reflex, seizures, abnormal ventilatory patterns. "

Thanks for your input, Kitezilla and Eagle.

What other opinions does the membership have on first response to kiteboarding injury accidents? The eventual goal following discussion is the preparation of a concise, effectively worded guidance document for circulation among kiteboarders at large dealing with this subject.

ricki
06-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Eagle provided the following comments regarding first response to a kiteboarder injury accident from a paramedic's perspective:

"I would like to see one of the publications address what should be done in the event of kiter injury.
What to do ?
a.Notify EMS
b. check the ABC's (airway,breathing,circulation)
c. ensure no further injury occurs to kiter/bystander (secure kite)
d. consider removal from the water
e. neck/spine stabilization until EMS arrival
f. direct pressure applied to any external bleeding
g. identify resources (lifeguards, off duty docs or other healthcare providers) "

and the following general comments regarding head trauma and response:

"The difference between the epidural hematoma and subdural is the onset of symptoms, and origin of the bleed. Subdurals can take days to weeks to manifest into textbook symptoms, although close friends and relatives do report the victim often acts "slightly odd". The bleed is often of venous origin involving smaller vessels. The epidural has a rapid onset, LOC followed by lucid interval then coma. Most always involves the Meningeal artery and usually results from blunt trauma to the temporal/parietal region of the skull.

A loss of consciousness for less than 5 minutes is typical of a cerebral concussion, which a full recovery is likely. Loss of consciousness for more than 5 minutes is typical of a cerebral contusion (brain bruise) and this carries a high risk of neuro impairment and should be investigated through CT studies. Head injuries in older people are more serious, and warrant a thorough exam.

For the layperson, if the victim is unconscious the first priority should be removal from the water to the beach and immobilizing the neck by holding the lateral part of the head. Airway is opened by pushing the mandible up and away from the maxilla (aka modified jaw thrust) An obstucted airway (tongue) is common in those unconscious, simply opening the airway utilizing the above mentioned technique may save a life. It is rather non invasive and can be performed by many laypersons with CPR training.

In someone who is conscious, I would advise they lay still while manually holding c-spine with the hands until medics arrive. Reassurance and a calm demeanor goes along way in this situation. Sometimes head injury patients can be unpredictable, bizzare and violent. If the person is acting in this manner the best thing to do is not place yourself in danger and allow EMS to handle the situation- all it takes is one call.

With an isolated head injury the main concerns are Level of Consciousness, whether the airway is open or not, and cervical/spinal immobilization. The airway and unstable cervical fractures are the immediate life threats.

Penetrating head trauma is treated in the same manner, only the onset of neurological symtoms occur more rapidly, i.e Cushings Reflex, seizures, abnormal ventilatory patterns. "

Thanks for your input, Kitezilla and Eagle.

What other opinions does the membership have on first response to kiteboarding injury accidents? The eventual goal following discussion is the preparation of a concise, effectively worded guidance document for circulation among kiteboarders at large dealing with this subject.

ricki
06-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Here are some comments from an orthopaedic surgeon with some experience with neurological injuries. It provides clarifying information regarding the probability of a Epidural Hemotoma having occurred in this case as opposed to a Subdural Hemotoma as originally proposed in the email.

"Case 2: This patient had a closed head injury from the board. The dura is the layer of tough tissue surrounding the brain and lies directly beneath the skull. Subdural (below dura) hematomas are usually associated with significant underlying brain injury and the patient is usually unconscious from the time of injury. Epidural (outside the dura) hematomas is when the blood collection occurs between the skull and the dura, usually in association with a skull fracture which expand and push on the brain, These patients usually have a lucid interval and before they loose consciousness. These patients if treated early enough often make a near complete recovery. I suspect this patient had an epidural hematoma with an associated skull fracture which accounts for his lucid interval. "

Thanks for your input!

ricki
06-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Here are some comments from an orthopaedic surgeon with some experience with neurological injuries. It provides clarifying information regarding the probability of a Epidural Hemotoma having occurred in this case as opposed to a Subdural Hemotoma as originally proposed in the email.

"Case 2: This patient had a closed head injury from the board. The dura is the layer of tough tissue surrounding the brain and lies directly beneath the skull. Subdural (below dura) hematomas are usually associated with significant underlying brain injury and the patient is usually unconscious from the time of injury. Epidural (outside the dura) hematomas is when the blood collection occurs between the skull and the dura, usually in association with a skull fracture which expand and push on the brain, These patients usually have a lucid interval and before they loose consciousness. These patients if treated early enough often make a near complete recovery. I suspect this patient had an epidural hematoma with an associated skull fracture which accounts for his lucid interval. "

Thanks for your input!

ricki
06-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Some comments from a plastic surgeon with interests in peripheral nerve injuries and frequent involvement with Neurosurgeons follow:

" Further to our email 10 days ago I have researched the issue of spinal/neurological injuries in kiting. I talked to some neurosurgeons and trauma surgeons. Interestingly boogie boarding was a more common theme to them as it seems that boogie boarders have a habit of face planting into sand and sufferring neck fractures.

Recently, as I alluded to, a top kiter from ---- fractured his neck hitting the sand in shallow water and waves. A kiting buddy of mine who is an anaesthesiologist and another GP who kites were there and strapped him to the floor of their 4wd with gaffer tape to drive him to hospital. He was fine after 6 weeks in a collar, but if he had been mismanaged he could have been in dire trouble. This is a lesson in how to manage an injury properly.

Anyway the take home message is:
If you witness a kiting accident where the kiter could have a suspected neck or spinal injury and is on land DO NOT MOVE HIM. Keep warm with a blanket and wait for a paramedic with a stretcher and proper skills to move him. If he is in the water of course he must be moved to prevent drowning but avoid excessive spinal movements to get to shore, then do as above. If it is you that is injured or the person is walking wounded and has pain in the spine or neck then seek proper medical examination in the first instance (at an ER).

Rick there are guidelines for management of spinal trauma in the paramedical and Trauma surgical literature and this stuff is taught all the time to medics. The question is whether it can be readily passed on to kiters in a digestible form. I guess it seems appropriate to warn people not to move a suspected spinally injured patient, and to seek medical help if injured but personally I think it unrealistic to expect much more from the general kiting public. It probably boils down to personal responsibility-how many people do a first aid course etc?? "

ricki
06-15-2005, 10:07 PM
Some comments from a plastic surgeon with interests in peripheral nerve injuries and frequent involvement with Neurosurgeons follow:

" Further to our email 10 days ago I have researched the issue of spinal/neurological injuries in kiting. I talked to some neurosurgeons and trauma surgeons. Interestingly boogie boarding was a more common theme to them as it seems that boogie boarders have a habit of face planting into sand and sufferring neck fractures.

Recently, as I alluded to, a top kiter from ---- fractured his neck hitting the sand in shallow water and waves. A kiting buddy of mine who is an anaesthesiologist and another GP who kites were there and strapped him to the floor of their 4wd with gaffer tape to drive him to hospital. He was fine after 6 weeks in a collar, but if he had been mismanaged he could have been in dire trouble. This is a lesson in how to manage an injury properly.

Anyway the take home message is:
If you witness a kiting accident where the kiter could have a suspected neck or spinal injury and is on land DO NOT MOVE HIM. Keep warm with a blanket and wait for a paramedic with a stretcher and proper skills to move him. If he is in the water of course he must be moved to prevent drowning but avoid excessive spinal movements to get to shore, then do as above. If it is you that is injured or the person is walking wounded and has pain in the spine or neck then seek proper medical examination in the first instance (at an ER).

Rick there are guidelines for management of spinal trauma in the paramedical and Trauma surgical literature and this stuff is taught all the time to medics. The question is whether it can be readily passed on to kiters in a digestible form. I guess it seems appropriate to warn people not to move a suspected spinally injured patient, and to seek medical help if injured but personally I think it unrealistic to expect much more from the general kiting public. It probably boils down to personal responsibility-how many people do a first aid course etc?? "

Eagle
06-16-2005, 12:46 AM
With the number of certified kiteboarding instructors on the rise, the requirement of first aid training, expanded to include the latest PHTLS( http://www.naemt.org/PHTLS/ ) guidelines for head/spinal trauma may be the way to go.

As an instructor, I believe it is our responsibility to have the knowledge and ability to handle a kiteboarding emergency, with the minimum level of competency that of a First Responder.

After a recent motorcycle accident at the local kite beach, the park rangers were approached with the suggestion of carrying a long back board, c-collar/CID and some straps in one of the patrol vehicles, for use in a First Responder situation.

Interest in this idea was expressed and I am sure it will be a while before there is a decision considering this would be of some liability for the park.

Eagle
06-16-2005, 12:46 AM
With the number of certified kiteboarding instructors on the rise, the requirement of first aid training, expanded to include the latest PHTLS( http://www.naemt.org/PHTLS/ ) guidelines for head/spinal trauma may be the way to go.

As an instructor, I believe it is our responsibility to have the knowledge and ability to handle a kiteboarding emergency, with the minimum level of competency that of a First Responder.

After a recent motorcycle accident at the local kite beach, the park rangers were approached with the suggestion of carrying a long back board, c-collar/CID and some straps in one of the patrol vehicles, for use in a First Responder situation.

Interest in this idea was expressed and I am sure it will be a while before there is a decision considering this would be of some liability for the park.

ricki
07-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Here is some input regarding this case from a physician in charge of the ER of a hospital with a large neurotrauma unit. He discussed and compared conclusions with a neurosurgeon collegue at the hospital.

Regarding Case#2 "with the intervallum lucidum is typical for an epidural haematoma. Also a skull fracture is typical for an epidural and not a subdural haematoma.The kiter must have had a short period of unconsciousness but didn't realize that he was in danger. The haematoma can grow bigger in time and the patient can be alert untill the moment that he can't compensate any more for the growing intracerebral pressure and will lose consciousness at that time. From then on rapid evacuation of the haematoma is necessary to lessen the damage. Loss of consciousness and/or even minor signs of concussion need medical attention. If he had gotten directly to a hospital he would have almost certainly have survived. A Helmet maybe would have prevented this."

Regarding Case #3: "Here we find some inconsistencies in the story: a cervical trauma would have caused a paralysis that would be located on a higher level at least involving the thoracal region and full lower limbs. In our opinion this seems to have been an unstable fracture of the lower lumbal vertebrae. By standing up and walking the unstable fracture can displace and cause injury to the spinal cord with paralysis as a consequence.

Protecting the head with a proper (and light-weight) helmet is a relatively simple measure, but protecting the neck and spinal cord is very difficult.
Probable spinal cord damage (high velocity trauma, trauma to the head, fall of height,....)= immobilisation and medical attention.
Witness of the mechanism of injury is important.
Other painful injuries might mask a spinal cord damage at first!!"

ricki
07-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Here is some input regarding this case from a physician in charge of the ER of a hospital with a large neurotrauma unit. He discussed and compared conclusions with a neurosurgeon collegue at the hospital.

Regarding Case#2 "with the intervallum lucidum is typical for an epidural haematoma. Also a skull fracture is typical for an epidural and not a subdural haematoma.The kiter must have had a short period of unconsciousness but didn't realize that he was in danger. The haematoma can grow bigger in time and the patient can be alert untill the moment that he can't compensate any more for the growing intracerebral pressure and will lose consciousness at that time. From then on rapid evacuation of the haematoma is necessary to lessen the damage. Loss of consciousness and/or even minor signs of concussion need medical attention. If he had gotten directly to a hospital he would have almost certainly have survived. A Helmet maybe would have prevented this."

Regarding Case #3: "Here we find some inconsistencies in the story: a cervical trauma would have caused a paralysis that would be located on a higher level at least involving the thoracal region and full lower limbs. In our opinion this seems to have been an unstable fracture of the lower lumbal vertebrae. By standing up and walking the unstable fracture can displace and cause injury to the spinal cord with paralysis as a consequence.

Protecting the head with a proper (and light-weight) helmet is a relatively simple measure, but protecting the neck and spinal cord is very difficult.
Probable spinal cord damage (high velocity trauma, trauma to the head, fall of height,....)= immobilisation and medical attention.
Witness of the mechanism of injury is important.
Other painful injuries might mask a spinal cord damage at first!!"

ricki
07-01-2005, 08:58 PM
I will try to present more information about injury specifics for Case#3 for the Forum to consider.

ricki
07-01-2005, 08:58 PM
I will try to present more information about injury specifics for Case#3 for the Forum to consider.

spidermedic
07-31-2005, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't try to delve too far into the differentials between a the different types of bleeds. Suffice to say if someone is knocked our from a blow to the noggin, they should get checked. Like your doc said, they'll get CTed, and probably have nothing. Better safe than sorry.

Treatment should be limited to getting them to a safe area with minimal movement, and have them lie still. If they're conscious, there's probably not a lot of utility in holding their head. If the person had a broken neck it will hurt and they won't want to move it. If unconscious, sure hold the head in line. If they're snoring, put your thumbs on the cheek bones, fingers behind the mandible and give a little jaw thrust. If they're not snoring, the airway is fine (or they're not breathing).

The guy that walked and then was paralyzed is a weird one. It is possible, I guess, to walk and worsen a spinal injury although most of the studies would tell you it's unlikely. There is the possibility of a spinal hematoma that evolved and impinged on the cord. Hard to say...could be a freak thing.

spidermedic
07-31-2005, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't try to delve too far into the differentials between a the different types of bleeds. Suffice to say if someone is knocked our from a blow to the noggin, they should get checked. Like your doc said, they'll get CTed, and probably have nothing. Better safe than sorry.

Treatment should be limited to getting them to a safe area with minimal movement, and have them lie still. If they're conscious, there's probably not a lot of utility in holding their head. If the person had a broken neck it will hurt and they won't want to move it. If unconscious, sure hold the head in line. If they're snoring, put your thumbs on the cheek bones, fingers behind the mandible and give a little jaw thrust. If they're not snoring, the airway is fine (or they're not breathing).

The guy that walked and then was paralyzed is a weird one. It is possible, I guess, to walk and worsen a spinal injury although most of the studies would tell you it's unlikely. There is the possibility of a spinal hematoma that evolved and impinged on the cord. Hard to say...could be a freak thing.

ricki
08-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Here are some comments regarding Case#2. Any input or comments?

Thanks!

"Lessons Learned

1. Kiteboard leashes have caused serious injury to riders in the past through leash propelled board impact and by holding the board between the rider and on coming waves. Board leashes have figured in two other fatalities and possibly a third in recent years.

2. Kiters should learn how to body drag upwind early on even before water starting to avoid using board leashes in most cases. Using a board leash solely for the sake of convenience is a poor practice. A helmet may or may not aid a board leash user as boards in the past have easily cut through helmets or gone around them. One fatality victim of a board leash impact was wearing a helmet. Helmets provide important protection for kiteboarders but may not be that effective in avoiding a board leash related injury.

3. Seek qualified, quality professional instruction in an effort to maximize the learning experience and minimize the hazards of the process. Ideas on selection of instructors appear Here (http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=829) and Here (http://fksa.org/viewforum.php?f=3).

4. Select weather/water conditions and gear appropriate for your experience. If you have little experience you will likely have no idea what is appropriate - seek qualilty professional instruction.

5. If you have any reason to suspect head or spinal cord injury, remain motionless until medical help arrives. Accident victims are not always that aware of these hazards. It is important the bystanders to try to help the victim from causing further injury to himself.

Commentary

Kiteboarding can be "dangerous easy." Like operating a car or airplane, the mechanics of manuvering can appear to be deceptively easy. Obviously there is a lot more to know and act upon in all three activities than simple "manuvering." Many kiteboarders have been injured by underestimating the power and potential hazards of traction kites. Seeking help from others is a natural step and may work out sometimes in learning the basic mechanics of the sport but perhaps not. It is likely that a quality instructor would not have exposed a student to such conditions complete with unstable squall weather. The "student" had no appreciation perhaps for the actual hazards involved. A quality professional instructor would have had a strong grasp on the hazards and would have conducted the training accordingly. A well intentioned but not professionally trained kiteboarder acting in the capacity of an instructor may not have had the knowledge or ability to effectively explain the hazards to the student. Seek quality professional instruction.

Board leashes have a long history of kiteboarding injuries. Some riders have mistakenly concluded that if they wear a helmet they are OK using a board leash. Experience has shown that this is a mistaken belief. Static leashes are certainly hazardous however even reel leashes have had their share of penetrated and fractured skulls as well. Work on body dragging upwind early in your training. If you are in hypothermic waters or in areas with adverse currents you may have reduced options regarding leash use. Your risks of injury has gone up substantially as a result. Finally, in not using a leash you may lose a board someday. The cost of the replacement board should be less than medical expenses, lost time off work and the pain of recovery from a board impact. Be sure not to put others such as bathers at risk if you lose your board. Avoid riding in crowded areas.

Some ideas follow regarding first response from a recently formed Medical Kiteboarding Forum:

The victim of a head impact may not realize he is in danger. Seek qualified medical attention rather than trying to "tough it out." That choice may well have cost this man his life.

If you witness a kiting accident where the kiter could have a suspected neck or spinal injury and is on land DO NOT MOVE HIM. Attempt to reassure and keep the victim motionless as well. Keep warm with a blanket and wait for a paramedic with a stretcher and proper skills to move him. If he is in the water of course he must be moved to prevent drowning but avoid excessive spinal movements to get to shore, then do as above. If it is you that is injured or the person is walking wounded and has pain in the spine or neck then seek proper medical examination in the first instance (at an ER). It would be best for any movement of the victim to be accomplished by paramedics if feasible.

The victim may have suffered an Epidural Hematoma as a result of the head impact. This can be a slow potentially lethal injury that can evade detection by not only the victim but also by bystanders. Recovery prospects are often good with early treatment however. The victim may have a "lucid interval" in which he can convince bystanders that he is alright.

As a side note, the writer had a similar experience some years back after a serious kiteboarding related head injury. He managed to convince two individuals who witnessed the 80 ft. lofting into a wooden fence that he was OK. He proceeded to stumble around for 4 to 5 hours presumably in an incoherent state pending transport to the ER and treatment. His use of a helmet was credited as saving his life by the attending neurologist.

Diagnosis of an epidural hematoma can be evasive even in a medical setting, requiring a CAT scan. Considering possible outcomes absent proper care, it is best to tactfully compell head impact victims to seek proper medical attention."

ricki
08-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Here are some comments regarding Case#2. Any input or comments?

Thanks!

"Lessons Learned

1. Kiteboard leashes have caused serious injury to riders in the past through leash propelled board impact and by holding the board between the rider and on coming waves. Board leashes have figured in two other fatalities and possibly a third in recent years.

2. Kiters should learn how to body drag upwind early on even before water starting to avoid using board leashes in most cases. Using a board leash solely for the sake of convenience is a poor practice. A helmet may or may not aid a board leash user as boards in the past have easily cut through helmets or gone around them. One fatality victim of a board leash impact was wearing a helmet. Helmets provide important protection for kiteboarders but may not be that effective in avoiding a board leash related injury.

3. Seek qualified, quality professional instruction in an effort to maximize the learning experience and minimize the hazards of the process. Ideas on selection of instructors appear Here (http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=829) and Here (http://fksa.org/viewforum.php?f=3).

4. Select weather/water conditions and gear appropriate for your experience. If you have little experience you will likely have no idea what is appropriate - seek qualilty professional instruction.

5. If you have any reason to suspect head or spinal cord injury, remain motionless until medical help arrives. Accident victims are not always that aware of these hazards. It is important the bystanders to try to help the victim from causing further injury to himself.

Commentary

Kiteboarding can be "dangerous easy." Like operating a car or airplane, the mechanics of manuvering can appear to be deceptively easy. Obviously there is a lot more to know and act upon in all three activities than simple "manuvering." Many kiteboarders have been injured by underestimating the power and potential hazards of traction kites. Seeking help from others is a natural step and may work out sometimes in learning the basic mechanics of the sport but perhaps not. It is likely that a quality instructor would not have exposed a student to such conditions complete with unstable squall weather. The "student" had no appreciation perhaps for the actual hazards involved. A quality professional instructor would have had a strong grasp on the hazards and would have conducted the training accordingly. A well intentioned but not professionally trained kiteboarder acting in the capacity of an instructor may not have had the knowledge or ability to effectively explain the hazards to the student. Seek quality professional instruction.

Board leashes have a long history of kiteboarding injuries. Some riders have mistakenly concluded that if they wear a helmet they are OK using a board leash. Experience has shown that this is a mistaken belief. Static leashes are certainly hazardous however even reel leashes have had their share of penetrated and fractured skulls as well. Work on body dragging upwind early in your training. If you are in hypothermic waters or in areas with adverse currents you may have reduced options regarding leash use. Your risks of injury has gone up substantially as a result. Finally, in not using a leash you may lose a board someday. The cost of the replacement board should be less than medical expenses, lost time off work and the pain of recovery from a board impact. Be sure not to put others such as bathers at risk if you lose your board. Avoid riding in crowded areas.

Some ideas follow regarding first response from a recently formed Medical Kiteboarding Forum:

The victim of a head impact may not realize he is in danger. Seek qualified medical attention rather than trying to "tough it out." That choice may well have cost this man his life.

If you witness a kiting accident where the kiter could have a suspected neck or spinal injury and is on land DO NOT MOVE HIM. Attempt to reassure and keep the victim motionless as well. Keep warm with a blanket and wait for a paramedic with a stretcher and proper skills to move him. If he is in the water of course he must be moved to prevent drowning but avoid excessive spinal movements to get to shore, then do as above. If it is you that is injured or the person is walking wounded and has pain in the spine or neck then seek proper medical examination in the first instance (at an ER). It would be best for any movement of the victim to be accomplished by paramedics if feasible.

The victim may have suffered an Epidural Hematoma as a result of the head impact. This can be a slow potentially lethal injury that can evade detection by not only the victim but also by bystanders. Recovery prospects are often good with early treatment however. The victim may have a "lucid interval" in which he can convince bystanders that he is alright.

As a side note, the writer had a similar experience some years back after a serious kiteboarding related head injury. He managed to convince two individuals who witnessed the 80 ft. lofting into a wooden fence that he was OK. He proceeded to stumble around for 4 to 5 hours presumably in an incoherent state pending transport to the ER and treatment. His use of a helmet was credited as saving his life by the attending neurologist.

Diagnosis of an epidural hematoma can be evasive even in a medical setting, requiring a CAT scan. Considering possible outcomes absent proper care, it is best to tactfully compell head impact victims to seek proper medical attention."

spidermedic
08-01-2005, 07:49 PM
One note:

Epidural bleeds are arterial and usually show signs and symptoms in a short period of time. Subdurals are venous and can take hours or days to evolve.

spidermedic
08-01-2005, 07:49 PM
One note:

Epidural bleeds are arterial and usually show signs and symptoms in a short period of time. Subdurals are venous and can take hours or days to evolve.

ricki
08-01-2005, 09:07 PM
One note:

Sorry, I noticed the typo earlier today and thought I had corrected it here. It is fixed now.

I would still like to work up some sort of concise, itemized precaution for victims and bystanders to consider when possible head or spinal injury is present.

I am reminded of a few hours stay in Vail Hospital ER last December with a strained gastronemius. The 18 year old man in the adjoining ER bay had suffered fractured C6 and C7 vertabrae and a crushed disk in a skiing accident. He was buried up to his waist head first in snow but felt some strange tingling in his hands. He elected to remain motionless until help arrived. This act was credited as possibly sparing him additional neural injury. Such awareness can be a valuable thing. I suspect all too often the tendency of the victim and bystanders is to tough it out and deal with it. Despite augmented injury that might unknowingly be caused.

ricki
08-01-2005, 09:07 PM
One note:

Sorry, I noticed the typo earlier today and thought I had corrected it here. It is fixed now.

I would still like to work up some sort of concise, itemized precaution for victims and bystanders to consider when possible head or spinal injury is present.

I am reminded of a few hours stay in Vail Hospital ER last December with a strained gastronemius. The 18 year old man in the adjoining ER bay had suffered fractured C6 and C7 vertabrae and a crushed disk in a skiing accident. He was buried up to his waist head first in snow but felt some strange tingling in his hands. He elected to remain motionless until help arrived. This act was credited as possibly sparing him additional neural injury. Such awareness can be a valuable thing. I suspect all too often the tendency of the victim and bystanders is to tough it out and deal with it. Despite augmented injury that might unknowingly be caused.

spidermedic
08-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Rick,

I think that's a good idea, but I would be careful of information overload on the layperson and try to err on the saide of safety.

I think the basic recommendation of having a person not move or stabilizing their head if they're unconscious would be sufficient.

If they've been knocked unconscious, they should be seen.

If someone has been struck in the head, but knocked unconscious, then they should be watching for the signs/symptoms of a head injury.
The standard is to watch for: Persistant headache, vomiting, unable to balance, loss of fine motor skill, bleeding from the ears or nose, and unequal pupils.

Suspected extremity fractures/dislocations should be left alone until EMS arrives. Have the person sit still.

Direct pressure applied to bleeding wounds...no tourniquets! Nothing worse than a yahoo that has wrapped a belt around his leg cuz he saw it in a movie. :)

Sorry to blather, I just got back from a Corona-filled going away party for a couple of medics. Not toasted, but nicely buzzed. :)

spidermedic
08-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Rick,

I think that's a good idea, but I would be careful of information overload on the layperson and try to err on the saide of safety.

I think the basic recommendation of having a person not move or stabilizing their head if they're unconscious would be sufficient.

If they've been knocked unconscious, they should be seen.

If someone has been struck in the head, but knocked unconscious, then they should be watching for the signs/symptoms of a head injury.
The standard is to watch for: Persistant headache, vomiting, unable to balance, loss of fine motor skill, bleeding from the ears or nose, and unequal pupils.

Suspected extremity fractures/dislocations should be left alone until EMS arrives. Have the person sit still.

Direct pressure applied to bleeding wounds...no tourniquets! Nothing worse than a yahoo that has wrapped a belt around his leg cuz he saw it in a movie. :)

Sorry to blather, I just got back from a Corona-filled going away party for a couple of medics. Not toasted, but nicely buzzed. :)