PDA

View Full Version : Sun/Mon east coast SURF ALERT!....but where to go?

Rodan'sWings
01-17-2008, 05:09 PM
The swell/wind maps are showing a nice windswell for Sun-Mon. My favorite spot to go on a NE is Jetty Park in Cocoa B. but the waves will be better as you go further south and the only other place ive Kited down there is Jupiter. Raul was talking about Bathtub Reef in Ft. Pierce, but that place is sharky and reefy...with deep holes you can get wedged down into:( anyone headed east to kitesurf some waves? Know any good spots, that are ideal for these conditions: http://magicseaweed.com/Gulf-Coast-MSW-Surf-Charts/9/wind/in/
????????

thanks!

Phil

BigR
01-17-2008, 08:05 PM
You can't get wedged into those holes, and those are just lil' spinner ankle biters that you won't feel...........

c'mon Phil! Waves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

call me
813 786 2041
Raul

BigR
01-18-2008, 05:09 AM
Got Waves????????????????
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!
Jetty Park!!!

<jason
01-18-2008, 07:11 AM
First peak or monster hole, at sebastian inlet...!!
Never kited there but surfing a NE swell there is awesome..
Thats where id go..

BigR
01-18-2008, 08:27 AM
You need a different wave setup for a kite almost than a surfer.

I don't think monster hole would work good, esp with surfers in the way.

What you want is side to side off conditions w/ waves coming off a long jetty like ft pierce inlet, jupitor inlet, jetty park etc

I'll take side on wind as well if thats all I can get :D

<jason
01-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Yea your probably right on that, although u could just run over the surfers like we used to do to the spongers...haha j/k
Ft.P is sweet surfed this place called turtles? once 10ft glass
Amazing place to get barrels. :)

wllix
01-18-2008, 04:43 PM
With those winds -- which i'm assuming is NE?-- where would it be good for a beginner to go?

Skyway Scott
01-18-2008, 05:07 PM
East beach, Ft. DeSoto.

Rodan'sWings
01-18-2008, 06:27 PM
OK Raul, Rob H and Chris are going too....safety in numbers! Rob wants to do MonsterHole (talk about sharks) Im up for anyplace really, we should all carpool in Chris's Dodge Sprinter and save gas$ My goal is wind+waves but there is going to be some awesome flatwater at SW Sunday so it will be hard to leave unless we LEAVE EARLY;)

Skyway Scott
01-18-2008, 06:30 PM
I did monster hole with Rob about 6 years ago.
It ain't no joke. Turtles were everywhere, literally.
I saw two get eaten. It ain't no joke. :o

Rodan'sWings
01-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Your right Scott, So are you coming with us? Once i skindove Sebastian inlet pass on the incoming tide, i didnt see sharks but i saw the biggest snooks ive ever seen, one had a BIG bite scar. Its a blast to dive there, the current travels 5mph so you dont need to swim, just jump off the jetty, drift and watch the fish.

They didnt just name it Monster Hole to scare away surfers. I like Jetty Park, shallow, and smaller fish.

BigR
01-18-2008, 07:08 PM
I don't think scott'll go, but I'll go any place , jetty park, ft pierce, monster hole.

They will all be good, less swell on sunday and more on monday but cleaner conditions on sunday

Skyway Scott
01-18-2008, 07:09 PM
I appreciate the invite, but these days I like riding with Donna more than anything in kiting. I am hoping she will do the Gandy DW with us. :)
Tell Captain Leopold I said hi and don't have his number. He called me awhile back and didn't leave his number.

Rodan'sWings
01-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Raul your number doesnt work. BTW Scott you used to Ride Matanzas every day, it has similar geography to Monster Hole and the same size fish no doubt....dont you think Matanzas is just as sketchy? It also gets crowded at Matanzas, but no attacks.....yet.

BigR
01-18-2008, 07:31 PM
it works

813 786 2041

or PM me

Skyway Scott
01-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Matanzas was tame in comparison, in terms of shark activity.
I did see quite a few "red explosions" under me while riding there, and yes, it bugged me a little.
I assume those were fish bleeding out after being bitten. Most likely mullet.

Monster hole is much deeper and much richer in food, imo.
I am not exaggerating about the turtles. Ask Rob.
As we walked out, we were on the pier. I saw a guy with a bend in his rod and waited to see what he caught..... a turtle! Wow! First time I ever saw that.

Then, walked 30 more yards. A guy had a ..... turtle on his line.
Another 30 yards. Another turtle. It was unreal. They were so thick out there, guys were snagging them.

I saw at least 50 turtles that day while riding. I saw two get eaten.

Thing is, a kiteboard is about the size of a........ turtle.

Have a good time!! :)

wllix
01-20-2008, 04:21 PM
monday still good for eastbeach?

Skyway Scott
01-20-2008, 05:21 PM
The wind direction should be perfect. It's the water (lack of) that might be a problem. Today was ridiculously low tide b/c of lunar AND wind states. It was literally as low as I have ever seen it.
Hopefully the water will fill back in to the bay tonight.
Really low tide tomorrow until about noon. Guess we will see.

Brian360
01-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Thinking in heading down to EB tommorow at around 9-10. Can't beat 3 straight days of kiting :) Anyone up for it?

wllix
01-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Ya it was ridiculous out there, and with the morning winds blowing that hard for my 11m, I decided it wasnt the best time/place to learn since i'm so new. Thinking about going out tomorrow, but with the tide like that i'm not so sure.

Kitespear813
01-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Yeah I went out to EB and saw guys launching on the east side then walking thru a mangrove path and another 25yards of muck to get to the water. I figured I would pass.

Steve-O
01-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Oh but the endless buttery conditions was well worth the effort. The backside of East Beach is off the hook when the tide is low like that. Great place to teach too IMO. More room than you could ask for.

I have ridden back there many times before, usually with only one or two other takers, but it was cool to see a dozen or more kites screamin across endless butter....more like whip cream.

Hope the pre-race went well. Really bummed I couldn't make it....did have a great lesson however.

Late

Danimal8199
01-21-2008, 12:44 PM
1 kite setup, 15 minutes, distance to the water, 25 yards, endless, flat conditions with 20kt wind, PRICELESS!