PDA

View Full Version : IMPT. - Race Paperwork Notice

ricki
01-17-2008, 02:38 PM
This in from Neil:

"Hi all,

The forecast is still looking good for Sunday and in fact is starting to look better and better. This is the final call to everyone to get your paperwork and payments 100% finalized. Anyone that does not have everything to me by 5 pm tomorrow will not be part of the race. There will be no late entries. There not enough time after that to get everything together. The checkpoints will need the list and everyone's #.

Keep fingers crossed but things are looking awesome for this weekend. Lets make it happen.

Cheers Neil"
Nhukusa@aol.com

kent
01-17-2008, 02:50 PM
Sounds good. Hey Neil, I was just taking a look at the rules again and am wondering if we may be able to make a slight adjustiment. I was looking at Google earth to see just how far out 300 yards is and it is a long, long way. For example even the second reef at Pompano is not even 300 yards out in places. I am wondering if a simple 100 yard rule might be a bit better. This would clearly keep rider out of the swim bouys, but would also make for a bit shorter swim if you break a line. I am also wondering if we shouldn't just say "stay at least 100 yards off the shore for the entire race". As it reads now you just have to stay off after the check point. 300 yards is very hard to guestimate and I would think that 100 would be pretty easy. I also think that in an effort not to lose beach access that all riders should police eachother and that any rider determined to have ridden inside the swim bouys be DSQ'd as long as 2 witnesses agree. Of course in the case of equipment failure (foot strap screw,etc.) provisions could be made. Thoughts?

Kent

ricki
01-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Hey Kent,

Just spoke to Neil about this. He is VERY concerned about threats to access by kiters coming too close to shore. One of the more readily abused guarded areas, Boynton Beach, is taking a hard look at restricting kiting right now. We don't want to make matters worse there or anywhere else.

So, here is what he said ...

Zero Tolerance for kiting within 100 yards (300 ft.) of the shore

... unless you have a legitimate emergency demanding landing (e.g. disabling gear failure, mandatory repairs, etc.)

...If riders are seen riding inside 100 yards of shore by at least two kiters in agreement, the offending kiter is subject to disqualification.

btw, IF you need to come into the beach, try real hard to land on an unguarded beach. Landing on a guarded beach with kites in the air may not go down very well, emergency or not.