PDA

View Full Version : How Was The Keys?

ricki
12-10-2007, 11:47 AM
A ton of folks opted to drive to the Keys for riding on Sunday instead of taking "Plan B." How was it down there? Any interesting stories come out of it?

stacey
12-13-2007, 12:43 PM
It was pretty good .. I was litt on a 7m ... but very crowded and a little sketchy due to the low tide and extreme shallow. Lots of energy though, with Mikey Bradley, Paul Porter, Joe Ruscito, Alex Bloechinger going all out, trying to outdo each other with big crazy moves for the peanut gallery. Only a couple of kites ended up in the trees ... you know, that kind of day :)

ricki
12-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I understand it did get crowded there, high wind and no water at low tide? Double kite loops in knee deep water? Nothing will happen, uh right. Wonder why guys don't just spread out and get offshore a couple of hundred yards into deeper water and space?

There was one particularly disturbing tale that came out about a well known kiter jumping over a land projection into a small man-made boat basin. I understand that heat is still on threatening access in the area the property owner is so upset. Rightfully so, the liability is immense and no thinking individual would want to put so much at risk.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/11/f5/e9/chesapeake-resort.jpg
Trees, lounges, light fixtures, exposed rock walls, boats, bystanders?

Leading riders have an obligation, like it or not, to be leading riders. Hopefully they will lead in a direction to where kiting will still be allowed and not lost through real bad decisions in the past.

kent
12-17-2007, 02:59 PM
I can't believe that some idiot did that. Rick, please advise either Todd or myself if a Cabrinha rider was involved in this incident and we will make the necessary adjustments to the team. This behavior is TOTALLY unacceptable and no kite company should support ANY rider that uses such poor judgment. If it is a Cab rider or not, I would also suggest informing the riders sponsor to insure that he/she is aware of the implications of this behavior. Additionally, the local keys shops in Islamorada should also be aware of the incident and put the pressure on the brand to insure that we are all taking access seriously. Once again, if this is a Cabrinha rider they will be looking for another ride, I promise you that.

Let me know privately Rick. Thanks.

Kent

stacey
12-19-2007, 08:33 AM
Just to make it clear, that picture is not anywhere near where we were at Anne's Beach.

admin
12-19-2007, 08:43 AM
It is beside Whale Harbor about 11 miles up the Keys from Anne's Beach and a few hundred feet from where the kiter was injured last weekend.