PDA

View Full Version : 60 Mile Jupiter To Ft. Lauderdale Race 2007 !!!

ricki
11-27-2007, 10:57 PM
his just in from Neil. The RACE IS ON!!!

"http://www.fksa.org/albums/album213/Race_Course_s.jpg

"Hi all,

Well it's that time of year again, windy in Florida. Time to ride, compete and race. So far this season on the East coast has been epic with many days above 25 and some swells that have been second to none.

It's time to make history again. Last year we had the longest downwind race, this year we will duplicate it and I would love to see the largest race. My goal is 100+ kiters racing for 60 miles from Jupiter to Tiki Beach!
So pass the word out to anyone that is not on this list, but please let be known this is not a walk in the park, very life threatening and definitely not for an average kiter.

http://www.xratedkiteboarding.com/xtreme/images/racestart2006.jpg

The web site is up check out http://www.xratedkiteboarding.com/xtreme/ things are still loading now but should be complete by the morning. There is only a few changes in the rules:

1. If you pull out for any reason you must call me immediately so I can account for you.
2. Carry $150 in cash in case of a long cab ride.
3. Anyone inside a designated swim are will be disqualified immediately, this year each life guard has my cell phone # and will call at any violation with a kite color and type.
4. There will be a new e-mail list of all people registered. Updated rules and conditions will be mailed to this group only. Via this e-mail there will be a 72 hr notice for stand by and a 36 hr notice to start.
5. http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27 will also be our official public forum for updates and questions.

The kick off part this year will be at the new Evolve Watersports in Fort Lauderdale, formally know as Waterplay on Saturday the 8th of December with the first possible race day on the 9th.

To sign up for the race YOU MUST fill out the registration form and liability waive and fax or e-mail it back to me BEFORE the 8th (fax# 954-524-1103). Pay the entrance fee is $50 cash only, NO LATER than opening party evening. I assure you all proceeds will go back into the race i.e. T-shirts, trophies, party food and dink, prize money. Prize money will be determined by how many entrances we have.

So I hope to see you on the 8th at if not sooner and if you have any questions feel free to call my cell at 954-647-7228 or e-mail me here.
See you at the new Evolve on the 8th. Lets get it on and make history again!

Cheers Neil"

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album219/1_G.jpg

ricki
11-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Some closer views for the START in Jupiter, mandatory CHECKPOINT in Delray and FINISH in Ft. Lauderdale appear below:

START
At Kitebeach in Jupiter, FL
http://www.fksa.org/albums/album320/Jupiter_Start.jpg

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album320/Jupiter_Start1.jpg
A view to the northwest over the start area from seaward. Helicopter photos credited to Gerry Smith.

CHECKPOINT
At Kitebeach in Delray, FL
http://www.fksa.org/albums/album320/Delray_Checkpoint_S.jpg

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album320/Delray_Checkpoint1.jpg
A view to the northwest from seaward of the checkpoint.

FINISH
At Tiki Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
http://www.fksa.org/albums/album320/Tiki_Beach_Finish_S.jpg

http://www.kitesurfusa.com/KITESURFUSAAIR.JPG
Tiki Beach and THE FINISH!!!

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album213/Distances.jpg

Make sure you know what the CHECKPOINT looks like and where it is located. Guys lost time by not knowing last time around.

You can do a tour of the race course via google earth at:
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=2489

kent
11-28-2007, 09:40 AM
This will be another epic event! We will push hard in Miami to get 10-15 riders up to Jupiter for the event, but as you know Miamians aren't much for joining. For most down here it's more about talking about how good you are on the beach... Right Oliver!

I am hoping that they control the check point better this year. There must be a mark in the water and a staff on the beach. Riders should pass between the mark and the staff and NOT disboard as this can be dangerous and cause complications when 5-6 riders are coming in. The mark in the water needs to be at least 30 ft out from the low water line. This would allow riders to pass by quickly but also be recognized.

I personally would also like the start of the race to be an on the water start with a timed down wind start sequence. It was hard enough to get off the beach last year with 48 kites, this year with 100 plus there will be problems. The water start will be just as visual, but will also allow for a fair start. Those that are trying to win will be on the start line at GO and those just looking to ride can either start on the beach just up wind from the start or follow on the water behind. I'd just hate to see people taken out of the race by a wrap before it even starts.

For the start, I'm happy either way, but remember that last year the top 3 finished with in 1 minute of each other.

As far as the beach is concerned, it is a good idea to have the life guards have some influence, but it might also be nice to have a lead jet ski with the front pack. This ski can police and encourage racers to ride outside of the buoys. Additionally, it would be a great vantage point to film the front of the race. I'm sure that a good driver could stay ahead of the pack. At any rate it is just an idea.

Thanks again Neil. Can't wait to hit the water.

Kent

admin
11-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Just put some more seaward shots in the post above this to help with recognition from the water.

Good points Kent. A grand prix start of 100 guys with a Jupiter shorebreak could be challenging particularly if the beach is narrower than last year. Throw in a high tide at the start if things come down that way and it could get real tricky. A start on the water sounds interesting. Even if the pack, aside from yourself and a few others go within a 1/4 mile of the line, it probably won't make all that much difference over the next couple of hours+. Last year in the distance races contenders would yo yo front to rear with the odd setback and yet they still hit it pretty hard and well.

Your idea of a check in at sea also has some advantages and disadvantages. Erosion has been chipping at that beach too although they did truck in quite a bit of fill about a month ago. What do you think Neil?

Looking forward to it. THANKS NEIL!

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album320/At_Sea.jpg
Should be glorious, again!

FKA, Inc.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

kent
11-28-2007, 03:17 PM
in looking at the start photo from last year above, i think that 100 kites will be a killer. probably a 1/2 mile line. the shore break was substantial last year as well. isn't there a pier over in jupiter? the start could be between the pier and a buoy about 500 yards off. can you imagine 70-100 kites charging the water at the same time. the heli view would be awesome!

yeah the check point can be tricky, but getting off the board is probably not the best option. it will create a bottle neck and possible hassles. i'm guessing that the wind won't be as good this year as it was last season and therefore riding in close to hale your name might be easier. Hard to tell.

The only thing that i'm sure of is a minimum of 70 racers and this changes things a bit. i really hope that the event goes on the 9th. it seems as though our riding interest and season doesn't really kick in full time until we get an event off. Additionally, it is good to get FL press for the early spring mags. can't let the left coast boys think that they invented racing.

kent

illibilli
11-28-2007, 06:18 PM
YES!!! YES!!! YES!!
glad Neil is pulling another one off!! Great comments from Kent on improvement for a big starting line sighted off the pier!!
Thanks NEIL!!!! good job!!

kent
12-03-2007, 09:51 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, the long range forecast is looking pretty good for Sunday! We would be pretty lucky to pull it off so soon given the horrible wind conditions for November. I hope that we are as lucky as last year. Those times were very fast.

My guess for winning time is 3 hr. 33. min. 12 sec...... a bit slower than last year, but I can't think that we will have 25 again. I just hope that we can get the race off.

Kent

BigR
12-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Wow, that's some long range forecasting Kent!

But, I can see magicseaweed does show 15-18kts maybe starting after about 153 hours from now . ( sun. after 10am )

that would be helpful for wind starved kitesurfers. I guess Neil will let us know 36 hrs prior if the forecast holds up

kent
12-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Raul,

Are you heading over with your wonderful wife? I hope you guys can make it. Yeah, my long range forecasting is pretty good, let's hope that it holds.

I'm guessing with a bunch of pent up kiteboarders in the state of Florida, we will see very good attendence. The party at Evolve should be good on Saturday but if the race is going to be on Sunday, better stick to the water instead of beer.

Kent

BigR
12-03-2007, 11:06 AM
You better believe it! maybe not the party but for sure the race.

the wind minimum would have to be 15 kts ( is that right Niel? ), but the closer to the finish line, it looks to get windier the further southward from jupiter you go.

c'mon kent, I'm counting on you to stick to the beer

kent
12-03-2007, 01:05 PM
Here is the big question... so how many riders from Miami are planning on competitng? In the past, Miami has been poorly represented given the total number of riders. Come on, let's hear it! Who's coming?

From Adventure Sports we have...

Kent "the sleepwalker" Marinkovic
Garry "the body" Menk
Josh "the rain maker" Noe
Tom "the slacker" Byrne

neil xrated
12-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Ok guys just a quick heads up the forcast for this weekend is starting to look promising right. I woulg guess a 40% chance for Sunday but we are still a ways out, maybe a party Saturday night then early race at 9 am Sunday.
Remember all waivers and entrance fees must be in by this Saturday, if not you have missed the boat and will have to wait to next year. It is very important also if you are thinking about entering it is very important thatyoufill out the registration form with the link at the top of the front page of the site as I am putting together an e-mail list for all racers seperate from here for updates and rules. So if it does happen this weekend you need to be on that list.
Fingers crossed cheers Neil

admin
12-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Way to go Neil! Hope some good wind comes through. What a great way to crank up the Holiday Season!

kent
12-03-2007, 04:03 PM
Rick,

I assume that you are already signed up and ready to go. What strange board from your arsenal are you going to deploy on the rough Atlantic waters?

Kent

ricki
12-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Rick,

I assume that you are already signed up and ready to go. What strange board from your arsenal are you going to deploy on the rough Atlantic waters?

Kent

Funny you should ask. I have about decided to ride down the coast on the UDW* This puppy came out of OBX, it is an unREAL board, literally. I got it there a few years back from a shop around Waves. This thing has TWICE the wetted area of most directionals. How is this possible???

It's 8 ft. long! Its a production Sky Pirate, not polyester and measures in at a trim 28 inch. width with three thrusters. I fully expect Garry's monster monoski to sink in shame at the sight of it. With all the flotation and wetted area, I figure I should come in rigged with a 16 m, if everyone else is on 9 m a good hour ahead of the pack. Wow.

Actually, I hope to ride what carried me over 200 miles of these last year. My trusty Waterboards twin tip. If its super light then my monster tt, XXXL.

What bizarre, hyper efficient tool has Derrick turned out for you?

*UDW = Ultimate Directional Weapon!

neil xrated
12-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi guys this is what we have so far, please get the Insurance waiver and registration form in ASAP. Last chance for payment is Saturday but mus atleast have the registration form in earier. Cheers Neil
1. Stacy Fonas
2. Matt Sexton
3. Julia Kim
4. Jayson Orkins
5. Juan Garces
6. Chris Summers
7. David Albertson
8. Packet Casey
9. Eric Naranjo
10. Sean Reyngoudt
11. Mike Bradley
12. Chris Jordan
13. Raul Argilagos
14. Joseph
15. Kent Marinkovic
16. Steve Visnage
17. Will Caldwell
18. Sean Spenser
19. John Rudd
20. Rick Iossi
21. Chad Anschuetz
22. Tammy Camp
23. Paul Sheetz
24. Danny Albertson
25. Justice Bentz
26. Grace Marcel
27. Demion Thomas
28. Mark Barber

kent
12-04-2007, 12:59 PM
I don't know Neil... what about those Keys guys? Don't they have anyone fast from down there? I know Brad Lange used to ride a bit, but with the family and all he probably gave it up... If not, I'm sure that we will see him and a few other Keys boys up for the event.

If that's not a call out, I don't know what is.

Kent

neil xrated
12-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Riders list updated, almost half way!
1. Stacy Fonas
2. Matt Sexton
3. Julia Kim
4. Jayson Orkins
5. Juan Garces
6. Chris Summers
7. David Albertson
8. Packet Casey
9. Eric Naranjo
10. Sean Reyngoudt
11. Mike Bradley
12. Chris Jordan
13. Raul Argilagos
14. Joseph
15. Kent Marinkovic
16. Steve Visnage
17. Will Caldwell
18. Sean Spenser
19. John Rudd
20. Rick Iossi
21. Chad Anschuetz
22. Tammy Camp
23. Paul Sheetz
NAME
24. Danny Albertson
25. Justice Bentz
26. Grace Marcel
27. Demian Thomas
28. Mark Barber
29. Chase Kosterlitz
30. Gregory Dannemann
31. Craig Priddy
32. Perry Ricciardi
33. Gary Menk
34. Enrique Gianello
35. Daniel Floyd
36. Jan Gianello
37. Gabe Rodriguez
38. Bill Bentz
39. Brandon Pelly
40.Alex Bloechinger
41. Brian Walters
42. Tommy Byrne
43. Alex Cipullo
44. Jonathan Arline
45. Jay Warren
46. Jeremy Green
47. Inigo Gonzalez
48.John Hooper

mbs
12-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I just signed up. One more representing Miami. Matt.

neil xrated
12-05-2007, 01:37 PM
Miami is growing stong, good job.

kent
12-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Neil,

I took the liberty of writting what may be a pretty good way to start the event. This will allow for a very visual start with no chance of premature starters. This also gives those looking to just cruise the race a way to start at their own speed. Let me know what you think.

In this, it is very important that the flags be raised and lowered crisply as it is the visual signal and not the horn that riders on the water will go by.

I would suggest that the flags be raised on a windsurfing mast at the top of the hill. I can supply the masts for the polls and probably even flags that can be spray painted to the correct collors. Let me know.

Here it is:

At the riders meeting the race organizer will issue starting position numbers (see below for allocation). During the meeting the race organizer will indicate the time of the first possible start (i.e. 10:00 a.m.). Riders will be given an opportunity to synchronize their watches to the official starter’s time.

Number allocation:

All riders will be given a number between 1 and the number of entrants (i.e. 100). Riders will be seeded according to their finish position from last year’s event. Only those riders that finished will be seeded. All new entrants and those that failed to finish last year’s event will receive their number based on a random drawing.

The Start: (there will be 2 options for riders to choose)

Option #1. Riders may choose to start on the beach between the southern most staff on the beach and the northern most staff on the beach. These riders will line up according to their allocated number, with the lowest numbers being closest to the Southern most starting staff. This option is recommended for those riders just looking to cruise the course and are not necessary looking to win the event.

Option #2. Riders may choose to start on the water. These riders will launch and proceed to the water. Riders may ride before the start anywhere north of the Southern most starting staff on the beach. Their start line will be an imaginary line that extends directly eastward from the southern most starting staff on the beach to the ocean. After the 1 minute horn and correspondent flag on the beach, NO RIDER is allowed to ride south of the imaginary line. Any rider that is south of the imaginary starting line will be disqualified by the race director. There are no exceptions. Disqualified riders will be notified at the finish.

The Sequence:

• Preparatory signal: 15 seconds before the 20 minutes signal several short blasts of the horn will be sounded.

• 20 minutes to start: A white flag will be raised and one single long blast of the horn will be sounded.

• 10 minutes to start: The white flag will be lowered and a single blast of the horn will be sounded.

• 5 minutes to start: A red flag will be raised and a single blast of the horn will be sounded.

• 1 minute to start: The red flag will be lowered and a single blast of the horn will be sounded. It is at this point that any rider south of the southern most staff will be disqualified.

• Start: Green flag up and single blast of the horn. All riders GO!

As horn can be difficult to hear in windy conditions, it is the raising and lowering of the flags that riders should pay closest attention to.

In an instance where by the race director needs to amend the start sequence, several blasts of the horn will be given and the director will start over again from the 5 minute sequence.

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album321/jup_beach.jpg

ricki
12-05-2007, 03:01 PM
If the wind is east as currently forecast, it might be a bugger to channel that many riders through a narrow corridor in the nearshore surf initially. Some people seem to beat offshore better than others in practice. I have seen a lot of traffic jams just off the beach in Delray with a lot fewer kiters. If guys could get a bit offshore and make a running start it might be better, then again this exercise may be easier for some riders than others. Depending on just how onshore it is and the nature of the nearshore surf, some guys might need some extra time and space to get off the beach if they aren't used to these conditions.

btw, just checked tides for Jupiter on Sunday, High at 8:04 am Low at 1:51 pm. Aside from narrowing the launch area a bit it should work out better for easing nearshore waves, maybe, and reducing the odds of guys getting vacuumed into inlets, ouch!

kent
12-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Rick,

I agree. I am actually in favor of a total water start between a staff on the beach and a mark offshore, just like most sailing or windsurfing races. I belive that this gives the fairest start opportunity as well as a very visual start. I think that Neil is worried about recalling riders in the event that there is a mass of riders starting early or something similar. I really don't see this as a problem as there are sailing provisions for this, but I also want this to be as easy for Neil as possible.

I just got off the phone with Neil and we discussed making the water portion of the starting line a transit line between 2 staffs on the beach. Line them up from the water side and go. If we make the transit line run a bit NE instead of East, this will eliminate the benefit of starting way off shore. Thoughts?

I just don't know if they have a jet ski available. If so, it would just be a matter of placing a staff on the beach with a flag atop and a medium sized marker in the water with chain and an anchor.

I am only providing suggestions as this is Neil's baby. I am sure however that he is looking at a varitey of ideas and that input is appreciated. In any case, this will be another great XRATED event!

Kent

admin
12-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Sounds good. In the captains briefing caution guys about starting far enough north to get out without heading too far south initially.

How about using some aerial signal flares for the start, say two red star flares plus horns to eliminate any confusion? Say fired at a shallow angle to seaward, no parachutes and slightly to the south to avoid kite or brush fires! The audible ones haven't always been that reliable in my experience for alerting so many kiters over a large area.

Absolutely, one more excellent XRATED KITEBOARDING experience coming online soon. Thanks gain Neil!

kitebdr1962
12-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Hey this will be My first Downwinder Race from Jupiter to the Fort...So like We did on the Crossing over to the Bahamas, We had a way make to Our Cars, after the Crossing, the Boat ride back.....So after you leave from Jupiter, and the Race is over, how am I getting back to My Car in Jupiter, if I am coming down by Myself to Race...Is there going to be a Shuttle back to Jupiter...

illibilli
12-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Great Ideas Guys!!!
A skewed line properly set up should allow plenty of room for everyone. I know that a bunch of kites stuck up in the shorebreak (at high tide) trying to get out is a safety issue. Having the ability to spread out and space away from each other without pin or beach being overly advantaged would help ALL in getting away safely. I mean, this is a 60 mile race and being right on the line is not EVERYTHING like in a typical closed course race. We are going downwind or beam reach so...its not that huge. Getting everyone over the line without having guys get tangled up on the shore...well that seems huge. ...after 60 miles it will be skill/endurance/board/kite/combo that determine winner.....not necessarily the best start....bad press from a kite crash/tangle/mess right on the beach is something that needs to be avoided at all costs. I like idea of giving option to get off beach for start is a really good one....or the double option mentioned in your previous post.

I dropped off my entry fee to Neil today and he is smiling big. Beautiful day without any wind but positive energy going forward!! Awesome to have Neil organize this event!!! You can learn a lot at Tiki Beach even when there is no wind.....right Jay D? Awesome sport we got!! Need more representation in the old man category!! Common!!! race!!!

ricki
12-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Last year it was left to the racers to arrange for the return to Jupiter by land from Ft. Lauderdale among themselves. If people can carry an extra rider or two in your ride back to Jupiter please spread the word at the party on Saturday and before things get going on Sunday.

kent
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Rick,

As you mentioned earler, I too think that this east wind will make the run much faster even if the conditions are a bit less. I also think that more people will be able to complete the race. Going totally down wind is odd for most, but reaching is what they are used to.

Your point is well taken that at least for the start it is very important that riders are able to stay well off the beach to avoid the pier and inlets. Even in an east wind, most riders will be able to make good head way to windward going south. The problems arrise if the waves are large and inexperience riders have to "run" toward shore a few times to avoid breaking waves. In all however I do also feel that an east wind will be good for the event and allow all to finish well and stay safe, especially if we can organize at least a large portion of the riders to start offshore.

Neil,

How many riders are you up to? I just got off the phone with our dealer in Cape Cod and he is sending his shop ringer down for the event. Killer!

Kent

admin
12-06-2007, 11:31 AM
Yes, I am looking forward to doing the run on an east wind. We'll see how it goes. I was thinking that guys will have to focus on making to windward or offshore to allow adequate leeway around piers and inlets. Hopefully, we should be able to clear the Juno pier easily enough before we come up on it but if guys aren't trying to work offshore, maybe not. Then they'll have to ride back northward to tack further east. I think a few guys even had to do this last year with a more favorable wind. Once you are out of the nearshore break this should be easier. Then again we hit some bars at quite a few points along the run last year that setup waves further from shore at points. We should try to stay at least 300 ft. from piers to avoid legal hassles also some of those buggers have special "kiter hook rigs." They try to hook us and have in the past quite a few times that I have heard about.

The seas are forecast to be 2 to 4 ft. and a bit larger further offshore. Quite a bit mellower than the 15 ft. seas of the pre-race or 9 ft. of the actual race last year. It was interesting to see the waves smooth out the further south we went. In effect things became easier the more ground we covered. Waves may be even less of an issue this year by the forecast.

admin
12-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Here's the latest from Neil:

"OK guys, this is the 72hr notice for Sunday at 9am in Jupiter. So far the forcast has not settled or become consistant yet. At this time this is what it is saying:
NOAA East at 20
Windguru East at 15-20
Wetsands East at 12-18
Remember we need a minimum of 15 knots, not 15 dropping to 11 but 15 with higher gusts.
Keep your eyes on your e-mails for updates I will be posting start sequences, rules and so on.
Also remember You must have paid the entrance fee and signed the waiver By Saturday evening to be included in the race.
Updates coming soon. Cheers Neil"

Fingers crossed, hope the wind comes as predicted!

kent
12-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Yep. It also looks as if the wind is forecasted to increase along the route as we go. So far the forecasts have looked very steady on Sunday having around 20, only time will tell. My experience in Jupiter is that the winds are sometimes a bit better than forecasted given how far out into the ocean that area sticks out. I hope it holds true.

It looks like my poll isn't working that well... the voting poll that is! even in my own office, everyone forgot their log in info to vote!!!

I am wondering if a poll on what type of board people are planning to use might be better

Twin
Mutant
Directional
Other (for Garry)

My guess is 67% twin, 7% mutant, 25% directional, 1% other (Garry)

neil xrated
12-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Riders list so far:
1. Stacy Fonas
2. Matt Sexton
3. Julia Kim
4. Jayson Orkins
5. Juan Garces
6. Chris Summers
7. David Albertson
8. Packet Casey
9. Eric Naranjo
10. Sean Reyngoudt
11. Mike Bradley
12. Chris Jordan
13. Raul Argilagos
14. Joseph
15. Kent Marinkovic
16. Steve Visnage
17. Will Caldwell
18. Sean Spenser
19. John Rudd
20. Rick Iossi
21. Chad Anschuetz
22. Tammy Camp
23. Paul Sheetz
24. Danny Albertson
25. Justice Bentz
26. Grace Marcel
27. Demian Thomas
28. Mark Barber
29. Chase Kosterlitz
30. Gregory Dannemann
31. Craig Priddy
32. Perry Ricciardi
33. Gary Menk
34. Enrique Gianello
35. Daniel Floyd
36. Jan Gianello
37. Gabe Rodriguez
38. Bill Bentz
39. Brandon Pelly
40.Alex Bloechinger
41. Brian Walters
42. Tommy Byrne
43. Alex Cipullo
44. Jonathan Arline
45. Jay Warren
46. Jeremy Green
47. Inigo Gonzalez
48. John Hooper
49. Burt Van Schalkwyk
50. David Teichman
51. Matthew Steiner
52. Chris Cifers
53. Brien Mastriana
54. Kevin Kearney
55. Evan Bell
56. Chris Hentschl
57. Damien Leroy
58. Jordan Borgese
59. David Katlic
60. Aron Ericson
61. A J Morgan
62. Tripp Hobbs
63. Todd Bagge
64. Tracey Krueger
65. Jamie Levesque
66. Shawn Cole

Still know there is more to come. Cheers Neil

stacey
12-06-2007, 04:15 PM
I am hoping that they control the check point better this year. There must be a mark in the water and a staff on the beach. Riders should pass between the mark and the staff and NOT disboard as this can be dangerous and cause complications when 5-6 riders are coming in. The mark in the water needs to be at least 30 ft out from the low water line. This would allow riders to pass by quickly but also be recognized.

Yeah, I hear you, I had a hard time recognizing the check point and I live there. We're having a tough time coming up with a water mark, however. We tried to get some from the RedBull guys but the two they have in working order will be used by Neil ... the other 2 are leaking. Anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

We've tried various visuals this week, but none have worked, or given any kind of distinguishing visibility.

We did, however, come up with the idea of airhorns ... blasting airhorns at the kiters as they come by.

The Kiteboarding Club of Lynn University is being given extra credit if they show up and help, so we are hoping to have a lot of people on the beach helping out. (Kent, for old times sake, you will be required to circle around, thump your chest, and shout out your number a few times :) )

All suggestions welcome ... call me at 561-789-3737 or email me at stacey@bestkiteboarding.com.

stacey
12-06-2007, 05:24 PM
OK, got the RedBull buoys sorted and have just talked to Neil about a few other ideas. We will go out tomorrow on the beach, take pictures of whatever visuals we come up with, and will post them online with further information.

P.S. Shannon is taking bets that I will not finish the race, so if anyone wants to get in on that, please contact him. (Nothing like support from the home team!!!) If I don't finish, it'll be because my kite blows up or slow-leaks .... (what, Shannon, can't you make a decent kite?) .... so either way, he loses :)

ricki
12-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Great job Stacey. Was coming up with some fairly strange ideas (e.g. kites, smoking flares, anchored boats with flags, etc.), glad you secured the buoys.

You've finished every distance race that you've been in that I know of. Poor Shannon, throwing his money away on poor bet!

stacey
12-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Well we tried to do something with a big orange tarp, but it didn't work or stand out in a meaningful way. (The thing about the checkpoint area at Delray, with the Shack and all the Hobie cats, there are a lot of distracting visuals there.)

Just north of the checkpoint is another graveyard of Hobiecats ... once you see that, the checkpoint is maybe a mile down.

There will be a Redbull buoy just outside of the shorebreak, and a white Best tent will be set up, along with a tall black banana flag. Two single line kites will also be flying off the top of the Best Tent, and the ground crew will be blasting air horns when they see kiters approaching. (If you go too close to a swimming area, lifeguards may blast an air horn at you, but pay attention, and if you don't see a Best tent, flags, a redbull buoy, and a bunch of people screaming, it's not the checkpoint.)

http://bestkiteboarding.com/site/Images/07_news/tent.jpg http://bestkiteboarding.com/site/Images/07_news/banana_1.jpg

We are bouncing around a couple of other ideas, and will give any updates tomorrow at the riders meeting.

jimmyc2
12-09-2007, 08:58 PM
And so......did Stacey win?

ricki
12-10-2007, 07:48 AM
The guys did Plan B yesterday, a 40 odd mile downwinder from Ft. Lauderdale to Matheson Hammock. Video to follow. Alternatively, a bunch of folks, likely including Stacey drove down to the Keys to ride.

The 60 mile race is still to come!