PDA

View Full Version : Bumped by shark- Fort DeSoto

Eagle
05-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Last Sat evening I was walking in from the sandbar at East Beach after gear failure, the tide was unusually high and I was in mid waist to chest deep water.
I did not see anything, but something really big bumped into my lower legs knocking me down, feeling like sandpaper rubbed across my leg I knew without a doubt that it was a shark.
Reading somewhere that sharks often "bump" before they bite, I thought this is it and did what any reasonable fellow who is scared of shark bite would do, screamed like hell and slapped the water with my board.
I had that feeling you get when you come close to getting into an acciedent times 10.
Luckily good ole Swingin Steve was upwind and observed the commotion and frantic arm motion, rode down wind and gave me a lift back to the beach.
This was the second shark encounter I've had in recent weeks, the other was at West Cypress, early evening and involved a spooked shark boiling in my wake then following me a short distance.
The common denomenator seems to be the evening.

Eagle
05-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Last Sat evening I was walking in from the sandbar at East Beach after gear failure, the tide was unusually high and I was in mid waist to chest deep water.
I did not see anything, but something really big bumped into my lower legs knocking me down, feeling like sandpaper rubbed across my leg I knew without a doubt that it was a shark.
Reading somewhere that sharks often "bump" before they bite, I thought this is it and did what any reasonable fellow who is scared of shark bite would do, screamed like hell and slapped the water with my board.
I had that feeling you get when you come close to getting into an acciedent times 10.
Luckily good ole Swingin Steve was upwind and observed the commotion and frantic arm motion, rode down wind and gave me a lift back to the beach.
This was the second shark encounter I've had in recent weeks, the other was at West Cypress, early evening and involved a spooked shark boiling in my wake then following me a short distance.

TheChosenWon
05-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Another common denominator would be ... being in their environment :wink: .

Seriously, that's good info, since this is a prime spot.

Last time I've been to the Tampa Aquarium, I thought I saw something about a shark migration season from KeyWest going north once a year. I'll look into that and post some info if I find any.

TheChosenWon
05-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Another common denominator would be ... being in their environment :wink: .

Seriously, that's good info, since this is a prime spot.

Last time I've been to the Tampa Aquarium, I thought I saw something about a shark migration season from KeyWest going north once a year. I'll look into that and post some info if I find any.

ricki
05-13-2005, 07:28 AM

The conventional wisdom would have it that you were being tasted prior to an attack or no further action.

Some questions, do you remember any unusual activity (e.g. shoals of bait breaking the surface, diving groups of seagulls, etc.) and when was this in regard to sunset? Was there anything else out of the ordinary that you can recall aside from your sand paper session?

Some general ideas about sharks and possible means of reducing the odds of a negative encounter appear at: http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=555

The ideas may help, then again, maybe not. It is there place after all and we're just visiting and getting the hang of things there in this new, fairly noisy activity.

Glad you are ok,

ricki
05-13-2005, 07:28 AM

The conventional wisdom would have it that you were being tasted prior to an attack or no further action.

Some questions, do you remember any unusual activity (e.g. shoals of bait breaking the surface, diving groups of seagulls, etc.) and when was this in regard to sunset? Was there anything else out of the ordinary that you can recall aside from your sand paper session?

Some general ideas about sharks and possible means of reducing the odds of a negative encounter appear at: http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=555

The ideas may help, then again, maybe not. It is there place after all and we're just visiting and getting the hang of things there in this new, fairly noisy activity.

Glad you are ok,

Eagle
06-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Rick-

It was close to dusk when I got bumped. The only thing unusual I can recall was the tide, Spring high, no bait other than an occasional mullet jumping.
I damn sure bought some lottery tickets on the way home that night !

Eagle

Eagle
06-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Rick-

It was close to dusk when I got bumped. The only thing unusual I can recall was the tide, Spring high, no bait other than an occasional mullet jumping.
I damn sure bought some lottery tickets on the way home that night !

Eagle

Jake
06-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Eagle,
Another alternative to a shark would be a large cobia. If you were walking and stirring up the bottom, stirring up crabs or whatever, cobia are attracted to that type of action just as they follow rays that stir up the bottom as they are looking for food. I had one hit me pretty hard several times in the back of my legs while walking in shallow water. I was pretty scared until I realized what it was. Also, as they look like sharks they are often mistaken for one.

Jake

Jake
06-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Eagle,
Another alternative to a shark would be a large cobia. If you were walking and stirring up the bottom, stirring up crabs or whatever, cobia are attracted to that type of action just as they follow rays that stir up the bottom as they are looking for food. I had one hit me pretty hard several times in the back of my legs while walking in shallow water. I was pretty scared until I realized what it was. Also, as they look like sharks they are often mistaken for one.

Jake

ricki
06-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Eagle,

Jake

Hello Jake,

I have seen groups of four to six cobia trailing larger rays over here on and off for years. Generally it has been in deeper water between the outer reefs. I will have to keep an eye out for this in the future. It would be a joy to have a bunch of them run into you at once rooting for crustacians!

Something breached the surface riding a wave in front of me late the day before yesterday in some nice wave conditions off of Delray. It was a bit small/narrow for a dolphin and I don't recall seeing a dorsel fin. I guess it could have been a young dolphin.

ricki
06-11-2005, 07:15 AM
Eagle,

Jake

Hello Jake,

I have seen groups of four to six cobia trailing larger rays over here on and off for years. Generally it has been in deeper water between the outer reefs. I will have to keep an eye out for this in the future. It would be a joy to have a bunch of them run into you at once rooting for crustacians!

Something breached the surface riding a wave in front of me late the day before yesterday in some nice wave conditions off of Delray. It was a bit small/narrow for a dolphin and I don't recall seeing a dorsel fin. I guess it could have been a young dolphin.

Eagle
06-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Jake

Cobia, yea thats what I'd like to think it was.
Unless it was a Cobia with bad skin, the sandpaper sensation tells me it was something else.

I'm just glad something made whatever it was swim away instead of having a snack.

Eagle

Eagle
06-11-2005, 07:28 PM
Jake

Cobia, yea thats what I'd like to think it was.
Unless it was a Cobia with bad skin, the sandpaper sensation tells me it was something else.

I'm just glad something made whatever it was swim away instead of having a snack.

Eagle

ricki
04-01-2006, 05:53 AM
Reposted from a guest:

It would be nice if some one would put up a map of of all the places that have known shark problems over there so visiting people would have some clue. I know there are some hot spots there from fishing bros.

ricki
04-01-2006, 06:05 AM
Reposted from a guest:

It would be nice if some one would put up a map of of all the places that have known shark problems over there so visiting people would have some clue. I know there are some hot spots there from fishing bros.

I haven't spent all that much time in the Bay area but I believe such a map would look pretty much like a map of the coastal/ocean areas off Florida. I always assume sharks are within sensory distance (whatever that might be) anytime I'm in the water.

I ran over some poor shark a few nights ago kiteboarding off Delray, me not the shark. I think it was a lemon shark and he blasted out of there at there at high speed as I came up on him on the surface.

Still shark sightings can be fairly rare for kiters in many areas.

Where to find them more often?

Fish schools particularly active ones
Diving sea birds
Around the time of known shark and fish migrations
Sunset
In and near inlets
Fishing piers
Fishing boats
Dropoffs
Outfalls
Places with a history of problems

Looking at statistics:

1882-2004 Map of Florida's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks (N=500)

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/GAttack/map/florida.JPG

County Total #Fatal Last Fatality

Volusia 171 0
Brevard 85 1 1934
Palm Beach 55 0
Martin 24 0
St. Lucie 22 0
St. Johns 21 0
Duval 18 2 1976
Florida Keys 17 1 1952
Indian River 15 1 1998
Broward 9 1 2001
Dade 9 1 1961
Pinellas 8 2 2000
Bay 7 1 1988
Collier 5 0
Escambia 5 0
Flagler 5 0
Sarasota 4 0
Lee 4 0
Santa Rosa 2 1 1911
Franklin 2 0
Manatee 2 0
Nassau 2 0
Okaloosa 1 0
General 7 1 1896
FLORIDA 500 12 2001

From: http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/GAttack/mapFL.htm

Sadly, there have been some more since 2004.

On the whole, unstable weather is a VASTLY greater threat to kiteboarders than sharks by far based on accidents. Avoid the obvious issues with sharks (aside from that I don't dwell on sharks) but really focus on weather.

What do you guys think?

BigR
04-01-2006, 07:30 AM
the map pretty much parallels human population density.

There are Bull shark pup nurseries in the Tampa bay area, near big bend.
And wherever they are, momma and poppa aren't far behind... :shock:

Still, I think we make enough noise to scare them off. usually.

Also where we ride is mostly too shallow

Skyway Scott
04-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Shark attacks are an extremely rare event in Tampa. So rare, its the last concern on my mind when kiting. I have spent countless hours diving, fishing and sailing/kiting and never had a shark encounter while in the water.

The numbers are clear. Given the amount of people in the water and the rarity of attack, it has been proven that your odds of attack are less than the odds of a cocunut dropping from a tree and killing you.
Escott says, "People may worry about being bitten by sharks on holiday, but statistics show they would be better advised not to sit under coconut palms."
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0JAW/is_73/ai_n6148144#continue

The numbers of attack don't parallel population sizes/densities, either. Pinellas' population is more than twice that of Volusia. Miami Dade's is 7 times the density of Volusia County's. Yet, V.C. is at the top. Look up the densities online.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/maps/florida_map.html (its interactive, click the county)

The most likely reason Volusia county's numbers are so high is because of a popular surfing locale in New Smyrna. The shark population there is very large. Guys are surfing right near an inlet where sharks feed on the fish on a regular basis. These are mainly 5 foot fish eaters biting guys toes off (or leaving nice bite marks)
http://www.underwatertimes.com/stories/shark_attack.htm

Timing of day has no correlation there or anywhere in Florida to actual shark attack, according to George Burgess, Ph.D. (University of Florida) Unless you want to count 2 pm as the highest occurence, but he didn't think it was statistically relevant.
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/FLdayattacks.htm

For those of you concerned about shark attacks, focus more on the road on your drive out. A traffic accident is far more likely.

After having said that, I avoid inlets with strong currents and OBVIOUS tarpon schools or pods of fish going crazy... just to lessen my odds that much more.

Rick, I think that sticking with facts is always better than simply using conjecture.

ricki
04-01-2006, 11:44 AM
35 kiteboarding lofting/dragging fatalities in gusty winds and hundreds of serious injuries.

vs.

Zero kiteboarder shark fatalities and six attacks worldwide (that I have heard about, most not serious at all). That includes one in Key West, one off the Panhandle and two off the Treasure Coast, one in South Africa and one in Fiji. There could well be more but that is all that I have heard about to date.

WHY do kiteboarders worry so much about sharks, apparently, and frequently show so little concern related to excessively gusty weather?

People have tried to explain this to me in the past. I am afraid I still don't quite get it.

Skyway Scott
04-01-2006, 11:48 AM
You got me Rick. I have NO facts.

Would you like me to guess? It'll be funny guesses, with no personal targets.

ricki
04-01-2006, 11:59 AM
You got me Rick. I have NO facts.

Would you like me to guess? It'll be funny guesses, with no personal targets.

Some have said it goes below reason maybe something from racial memory about being torn limb from limb by primative preditors. Guys are actually incredulous when I point out the vastly greater threat posed by bad weather conditions vs. getting taken out by a shark while kiting. They insist on ignoring or playing down weather hazards to varyings degree and fixating on sharks which may never show up much less snuff them out. Strange but true. I've been around sharks for decades, was attacked a couple of different times years ago while diving. Still, weather gets my vote hands down with a kite up.

BigR
04-01-2006, 03:32 PM
strange how kiters get fixated on the gruesome impossibilities yet ignore the bland things that will mess them up

tomstock
04-01-2006, 10:48 PM

ricki
04-02-2006, 07:02 AM
Now surfers, that's a different story, swimmers too for that matter.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/graphs/all.jpg

There are some likely factors as to why kiters have faired better than surfers. Still, there is some limited overlap in the two activities. I am happy that so far anyway, we have largely not been attacked while kiteboarding.

Despite all this as many have said before the probability of shark attack regardless of activity is LOW. This is underscored in a 2000 study.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/beachattacks.htm

I still think we focus too much on the issue of shark attack. That doesn't mean I don't believe in following reasonable precautions (i.e. avoiding active fish schools, e.g.).

Are many guys coming to Miami for Kite4Girls this coming weekend?

Skyway Scott
04-02-2006, 07:46 AM
WHY do kiteboarders worry so much about sharks, apparently, and frequently show so little concern related to excessively gusty weather?

People have tried to explain this to me in the past. I am afraid I still don't quite get it.

Some have said it goes below reason maybe something from racial memory about being torn limb from limb by primative preditors. Guys are actually incredulous when I point out the vastly greater threat posed by bad weather conditions vs. getting taken out by a shark while kiting. They insist on ignoring or playing down weather hazards to varyings degree and fixating on sharks which may never show up much less snuff them out. Strange but true. I've been around sharks for decades, was attacked a couple of different times years ago while diving. Still, weather gets my vote hands down with a kite up.

Rick, I liked your primal memory of being ripped theory. Entertaining, possible, stuff.
Here is more PURE speculation about why sharks get disproportionate attention/conversation from kiters as a safety threat than squall lines:
(I hope a couple are at least a little entertaining)

1. It sounds manly to discuss being in the shark's realm, defying his surely eminent DEATH bite :shock: The more you discuss his risk to your safety, the more exciting the conversations become. The induced fear gives a hit of adrenaline, its kinda excitin' to think about it, franky. Duh Nuh. Duh Nuh . Dunta DuntaDunta... WHAM!
(Peter Benchley didn't make a hollywood hit starring a rain cloud, ya' know)

2. Discussions regarding defying the winds are BORING! All you gotta do is ride in and land the kite, yawn.

3. You simply can't control a shark or really take (100% effective) preventative measures against the "man-eater", so WTF, put your energies into worrying about the beast. It takes some heat off the more pressing issues which maybe you can see coming, or act in response to with 100% effectiveness.

4. It doesn't sound cool to tell your friends "the WIND kicked my ass".
But, man, a shark nearly got me sounds real hardcore, especially to chicks who watched Jaws (or one of the "eat"quels)

5. Regardless of relevance, some things are just more exciting to talk about despite there level (or lack) of being factual. Yep, more excitin'.

6. People feel more comfortable when they have something to fixate their fears on. Every culture has a boogyman. Many sociologists feel the BM serves a valuable social function. If there is a void for this figure, it will quickly get filled for some. The primary function of the BM is "he" takes the heat for when something inexplicable happens... you can just blame the boogyman. Since he is imaginary, no one points fingers at others. The boogyman is actually ultimately supposed to be a community uniting myth.

While riding a kite, or in the water, the shark is the obvious candidate for role of boogyfish. It does appear to unite us as a group with our common fear against it, but in doing so, it might distract our attention from more realistic, immediate threats to us as kiters.

Just some more non-scientific speculations. I hope a couple were funny.

Scott

(here is a link to another GREAT forum with guys into sharks... its the local fishing crew. They get along pretty well)
http://forums.capmel.com/tool/post/capmel/vpost?id=1023978&trail=15
I just talked to this kid for the scoop about the macks around the skyway, we are gonna nail some today!

tomstock
04-02-2006, 08:48 AM

BigR
04-02-2006, 09:17 AM
Probabilities in kiteboarding during a year:

Get attacked by Shark = >1 in a million

Lofted by a Squall = 1 in 50

P.S. I watch the dolphins playing until I see the squall coming in

Skyway Scott
04-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Whoa. So what are the odds of me getting safely lofted just in time to avoid an upcoming shark attack?

If I did the math right, I think that would be .0000000000000000000000000000002 %.
(to get lofting number at any one point in time, I divided 1 by minutes ridden per year)
Think the wind God's will help me out in my time of need and loft me over the jaws of death?
(Hopefully not impaling me on a local channel marker) :shock:

Tom, I shark fish alot in the summer. Its just a big fish to me. The fun is in the fact that blacktips are FAST and POWERFUL for their size and commonly do acrobatic jumps when hooked. Its a blast. I always cut the line, never bring them in the boat. The hooks rust out quickly (I use cheapies) and I have hooked the same shark several times in one outting, so the hooks apparently have no impact on their feeding abilities. You should come out once. Maybe I can upload a vid of Donna reeling in a local "toe biter"? Its a great vid. The shark jumps twice, while doing barrel rolls.

tomstock
04-03-2006, 09:24 AM

bryanleighty
04-03-2006, 09:45 AM
just remember..
the best way to avoid a shark is to not go toeside into its open mouth.

http://www.bryanleighty.com/shark.wmv

i suggest a quick unhooked kiteloop if you ever find yourself in this situation.

-B

toby wilson
04-03-2006, 12:56 PM
Bottom line is that sharks usually don't attack unprovoked or unless they mistake you for something else. Mistakes happen, but why are we so focused on shark ATTACKS???

One word: JAWS.

talzz2
04-03-2006, 01:00 PM
LOL - Agree 100%, jaws even as bad as the special effects in today’s films still makes you think when you are out on the water. I have seen open water, deep blue sea and none compare to that child hood Jaws memory.... even though go back and watch it now and think why it is so fake...

toby wilson
04-03-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm safe, I got a "no sharks" (red circle with red cross through it over the silhouette of a great white) sticker on my Underground Magic Carpet 158 so no worries...right...?

Skyway Scott
04-03-2006, 01:22 PM
I heard those stickers attract the stingrays tho Toby :shock: LMAO...Just kidding.

toby wilson
04-03-2006, 01:44 PM
That's what the "Skyway Scott loves stingrays" sticker is for...

ricki
04-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Bottom line is that sharks usually don't attack unprovoked or unless they mistake you for something else. Mistakes happen, but why are we so focused on shark ATTACKS???

One word: JAWS.

Ah Jaws, nostalga. I can remember that movie being given credit for some dive shops closing in Ft. Lauderdale back in the mid 1970's. I think it compelled me to stop doing the odd solo night dive for a while. Hollywood! It is probably part of the phenomena.

http://www.apneist.com/IMAGES/cteivoire/cobia.jpg
A cobia

http://www.johneasley.com/gallery/albums/Underwater/Large_Stingray_and_Cobia_copy.jpg
A cobia following a stingray. I have seen up to six cobia tailing a single large stingray at times.

toby wilson
04-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Nice pics Rick! He's not exactly Jaws but some pretty great shots nonetheless!!! Where did you take them???

talzz2
04-04-2006, 08:03 AM
There is no places really here in the tampa area to do spear fishing is there? I heard you have to go pretty far off the coast or down south pretty far before the water clears up enough... or is that not true? i think a forum deeperblue something has some AWESOME spearfishing pictures if you want to see more.. think deeperblue.net then go into their forums looks just like this one they have really neat stuff..

sorry off the topic ....