PDA

View Full Version : Summer Florida Kiter Survival Guide

ricki
05-01-2005, 09:23 PM
... To Coping With Windlust, Unrequited no less!?

we have had a pretty bad winter and spring and last summer was great so any weather men want to take a guess????? rick? thanx
DAVE

Updates for Summer 2008 appear on the last page of this post

On average, summer is NOT a good time for kiteboarding in Florida. The wind is often too light or too unstable.

Jonesing for a wind fix when the season typically offers little in useable wind, much of the time, is a way to set yourself up for some trouble.

There are exceptions of course, thermal winds before the afternoon squalls and lightning set in, the odd late season cold front or other useable weather system. Thermal winds are better and more reliable in some years than in others and perhaps in some places (like Tampa???).

Here is some advice for kiteboarders to get through the Florida summer:

1. Plan a trip(s) to a reliable wind destination over the summer (e.g. OBX, SE Texas on the Gulf, one of the windier spots in the Caribbean, etc.. It will give you something to look forward to and allow you to try to dodge some of the shortcomings of riding in the conditions described below.

2. If clean, useable wind comes up be prepared to use it, while checking out all the normal weather Internet info sources first MORE HERE (http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2300711&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=). Keep your eye on conditions and if some unstable stuff moves in, call it a day BEFORE it arrives.

3. In your weather planning avoid squalls associated with tropical systems (e.g. waves, depressions and hurricanes. Some guys don't take this seriously despite all the past accidents and obvious hazardous conditions. Sigh ... there will always be cannon fodder sad to say.

4. Have other interests to carry you through the lighter wind months, diving, wakeboarding, WINDSURFING! Yes, windsurfing, as long as you aren't struck by lightning, you might consider going out in squally conditions with a windsurfing rig, IF you know what you are doing. You might still break or strain something but it is harder to get severely injured (read taken out!) windsurfing in unstable wx than kiting. Just have something lined up to try to take the edge off of your wind lust. Wind lust can force us into taking some stupid chances speaking from personal and collective experience.

Be of good heart, the frontal winds typically don't turn off until mid May in many years. There are other activities to do during the summer and there is that good wind destination trip to look forward to. Before you know it those nice clean cold front winds will be back in the fall. Hopefully, without a severe hurricane interlude this time around.

From: http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2315378

dennism
05-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Don't forget the cable parks... There are only four of them in the entire US, and we're lucky enough to have two of em. Also don't forget golf is cheaper during summer ;)

ricki
05-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Don't forget the cable parks... There are only four of them in the entire US, and we're lucky enough to have two of em. Also don't forget golf is cheaper during summer ;)

I did forget about them! Thanks for bringing them back into view. Maybe we should hold a summer doldrum non-kiteboard, board riding event at one or both of the parks, Deerfield and Orlando during the summer doldrums? Some of us gravitate there anyway when the reliable winds head off with the coming of summer.

Polaris
05-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Ski-Rixen in Deerfield Beach is a great place to go and their rates are not bad. You can’t beat $30.00 for a full day and you already have your boards. The folks that run that place are fantastic. An event there for kite boarders would be great.

ricki
05-11-2005, 06:12 AM
Ski-Rixen in Deerfield Beach is a great place to go and their rates are not bad. You can’t beat $30.00 for a full day and you already have your boards. The folks that run that place are fantastic. An event there for kite boarders would be great.

http://www.skirixenusa.com/images/ani_ski_rixen.gif

Yes, it is a fairly novel concept around here. When the doldrums drag on it can give you some fun water time and even help you work on board skills.

http://www.skirixenusa.com/images/2610_lg.jpg

http://www.skirixenusa.com/images/7446_lg.jpg
NOTE: All images are from http://www.skirixenusa.com/

I will look into what it would take to put on a kiteless, kiteboarder event there. Is there other interest in this and ideas out there?

Polaris
05-11-2005, 08:48 PM
A kiteless kiteboard event is a great idea. the crew from Best Kiteboarding are there when the wind is down. They might be a good source to help an event.

Polaris
05-11-2005, 08:48 PM
A kiteless kiteboard event is a great idea. the crew from Best Kiteboarding are there when the wind is down. They might be a good source to help an event.

ricki
05-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Some ideas to help you get going in the lighter stuff, ABSENT squalls of course. There have been a few riders rigged big, working hard to milk what they could out of lighter winds when they got slammed with STRONG gusts from a rain squall. One guy hit a tree and fell to hit pavement head first, entering a coma with another pro rider almost getting lofted into powerlines and traffic over 150 ft. from the water.

Anyway, consider using a larger board, one with more wetted surface area. Skimboards have gained in popularity in this regard. Some directional kiteboards are quite good at the lower end. Case in point, last week I was out with another guy about 15 lbs. less than me. We were both flying 13 m kites. He was on a 130 cm TT, I think, and I was on a 7.5 ft. directional! He ended up walking backup wind a lot, a few hundred yards at times, while I was able to ride upwind of the launch area at times.

Surfboards can also offer at lighter wind advantage. Well waxed up or with a full deck traction pad they can provide a different feel for kiteboarders and bet sinking in lulls on too small a board.

Try body dragging out past the breaking waves before water starting if you can do this safely. It takes a fair amount of kite power to blast through waves at times and if the wind just isn't there it can be frustrating.

Pay attention to how you trim your kite. More ideas about this appear at:
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=622
I am amazed at how few people do this or even consider it to be worth bothering with.

Considering using longer lines or 10 m line extensions made out of Q Line. It may not help your jumping but if the wind is marginal anyway the longer power stroke may help you move out more efficiently.

If you have a choice, try to find an area WITHOUT waves. Riding through waves takes extra kite power that you may not have to spare.

Get further offshore, within your swimming abilities, impact vest, etc. You will often find the wind is a bit stronger around 1/4 mile away from the beach. Stare at the water and look for wind lines.

Check ikitesurf and see where the wind is up. A road trip may be in order. Just watchout for the storms and unstable weather.

BE CAREFUL nearshore and bystanders in the lighter winds, launching, going out and landing. It can be EASY to stall your kite and wrapup bystanders. Take pains to stay well away from others. You are the guy in control not them.

Other ideas out there?

ricki
05-16-2005, 07:56 AM
Some ideas to help you get going in the lighter stuff, ABSENT squalls of course. There have been a few riders rigged big, working hard to milk what they could out of lighter winds when they got slammed with STRONG gusts from a rain squall. One guy hit a tree and fell to hit pavement head first, entering a coma with another pro rider almost getting lofted into powerlines and traffic over 150 ft. from the water.

Anyway, consider using a larger board, one with more wetted surface area. Skimboards have gained in popularity in this regard. Some directional kiteboards are quite good at the lower end. Case in point, last week I was out with another guy about 15 lbs. less than me. We were both flying 13 m kites. He was on a 130 cm TT, I think, and I was on a 7.5 ft. directional! He ended up walking backup wind a lot, a few hundred yards at times, while I was able to ride upwind of the launch area at times.

Surfboards can also offer at lighter wind advantage. Well waxed up or with a full deck traction pad they can provide a different feel for kiteboarders and bet sinking in lulls on too small a board.

Try body dragging out past the breaking waves before water starting if you can do this safely. It takes a fair amount of kite power to blast through waves at times and if the wind just isn't there it can be frustrating.

Pay attention to how you trim your kite. More ideas about this appear at:
http://fksa.org/viewtopic.php?t=622
I am amazed at how few people do this or even consider it to be worth bothering with.

Considering using longer lines or 10 m line extensions made out of Q Line. It may not help your jumping but if the wind is marginal anyway the longer power stroke may help you move out more efficiently.

If you have a choice, try to find an area WITHOUT waves. Riding through waves takes extra kite power that you may not have to spare.

Get further offshore, within your swimming abilities, impact vest, etc. You will often find the wind is a bit stronger around 1/4 mile away from the beach. Stare at the water and look for wind lines.

Check ikitesurf and see where the wind is up. A road trip may be in order. Just watchout for the storms and unstable weather.

BE CAREFUL nearshore and bystanders in the lighter winds, launching, going out and landing. It can be EASY to stall your kite and wrapup bystanders. Take pains to stay well away from others. You are the guy in control not them.

Other ideas out there?

Polaris
08-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Rick, Looks like the concept ran out of steam. I still think and event at
Ski-Rixen would be great. It would be good to meet other kiteboarders from Dade, Broward and Palm Beach in a centralized area like that.

By the way. Heads up ! There is another cable park facility opening in
Ft. Myers this spring. Now Fla. will have 3 locations.

Polaris
08-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Ski-Rixen would be great. It would be good to meet other kiteboarders from Dade, Broward and Palm Beach in a centralized area like that.

ricki
08-10-2005, 08:18 AM

I spoke to some guys for whom this sort of an event should have been a natural. Unfortunately, nothing came of it. Still, there are still some months between now and when the more reliable cold front winds resume in the fall. There is time for a "No Wind" kiteboarding event.

My first attempt to promote some interest in this wasn't a total success. If folks would like to have an event like this, why not tell us about it here. It will help in the organizing and as in some many other things, numbers talk. Lots of interest --> no brainer, slight interest --> maybe next year?

What do you think?

ricki
08-10-2005, 08:18 AM

I spoke to some guys for whom this sort of an event should have been a natural. Unfortunately, nothing came of it. Still, there are still some months between now and when the more reliable cold front winds resume in the fall. There is time for a "No Wind" kiteboarding event.

My first attempt to promote some interest in this wasn't a total success. If folks would like to have an event like this, why not tell us about it here. It will help in the organizing and as in some many other things, numbers talk. Lots of interest --> no brainer, slight interest --> maybe next year?

What do you think?

Polaris
08-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Well, I kinda started to get the ball rolling. I contacted René at Ski-Rixen and they would love something like that. She mentioned to follow up with Andy Hurdman of Best Kiteboarding. Shannon and his team are always there when there is no wind. I wouldn’t mind helping you on getting this together. Mind you I’ve never done this but what the hell.

We can get the local shops….who knows

Polaris
08-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Well, I kinda started to get the ball rolling. I contacted René at Ski-Rixen and they would love something like that. She mentioned to follow up with Andy Hurdman of Best Kiteboarding. Shannon and his team are always there when there is no wind. I wouldn’t mind helping you on getting this together. Mind you I’ve never done this but what the hell.

ricki
08-11-2005, 11:27 AM

I spoke to Shannon and Andy about this sometime back. I feel they would participate in the event and support it to some degree but organizing it would be another matter.

I have helped to put together a number of kiteboarding events over the years, nothing involving wakeboarding of course. The main thing would be getting some declarations of interest in such an event. There isn't any useable wind on tap so the interest should follow.

I will give Ski Rixen a call with some basic questions.

ricki
08-11-2005, 11:27 AM

I spoke to Shannon and Andy about this sometime back. I feel they would participate in the event and support it to some degree but organizing it would be another matter.

I have helped to put together a number of kiteboarding events over the years, nothing involving wakeboarding of course. The main thing would be getting some declarations of interest in such an event. There isn't any useable wind on tap so the interest should follow.

I will give Ski Rixen a call with some basic questions.

Polaris
08-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Thats great. If there is anything I can do to help.
Hopefully we can get some of our local shops with Broward and PB shops involved. If anybody is reading this traffic, jump in.

Polaris
08-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Thats great. If there is anything I can do to help.
Hopefully we can get some of our local shops with Broward and PB shops involved. If anybody is reading this traffic, jump in.

ricki
04-21-2006, 06:25 AM
It seems to be that time of year again, SUMMER! I thought it would be worthwhile to bring this post back from last year, dust it off and pass it around. Anyone up for a zero wind challenge at the cable park this year? New ideas out there?

Polaris
04-21-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm still on board. How can I help?

ricki
05-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Thermal wind ...

It is VERY good right now. Will it continue, who knows? For now though it is great and rarely are there the usual storms sweeping to the ocean from the Everglades. Historically, thermals go in May, ease in June, pick up in July. I guess we'll have to see what comes this year.

Case in point, what blew through Delray last night, Friday, May 5, 2006:

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album143/20060505215459_660097_WindSpeedHistory.gif

and through Delray on Saturday, May 6:

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album143/20060506202100_801781_WindSpeedHistory.gif

and through Delray on Sunday, May 7:
http://www.fksa.org/albums/album178/20060507201107_562074_WindSpeedHistory.gif

I see it is going yet again Monday, May 8, a bit lower 15 gusting to 17 kts. Still respectable useable wind.

windgraphs from Jay's windomatic

None of this wind was forecast by NWS. Sometimes they mumble something about a "sea breeze" but not currently.

There have been a lot of thermal winds lately and often without the storms. The later factor is presumed to be related to the drought conditions. The guys from Tampa report similar good thermal winds, it is probably going off statewide I would imagine. Although all areas don't seem to have thermal winds at the same times necessarily.

Often good sea breezes seem to come to our area after a hot, clear warm day. If it clouds up in the afternoon, the sea breeze often fails to fully develop. The sea breeze is usually sideshore and may overwhelm more regional winds. For instance an advancing cold front may have shifted the wind to the SW, W or NW. An afternoon seabreeze can create a local sideshore wind at the coast. NOTE: as sunset approaches the sea breeze can die suddenly, often after but sometimes before sunset. The wind then shifts offshore in short order. You don't want to get caught out by the wind shift. Guys have lost boards and they themselves could get lost as well.

More about sea breezes at:
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/fw/sea/htg.rxml
http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/75846.pdf

The seabreeze can start as early as noon, but more commonly builds up around 3 to 4 pm.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

mocean
05-08-2006, 12:48 PM
get an old surf board and chuck some foot straps on it and ride in lighter winds.
(when you make the pug hole marine tex bonds realy well to foam/steal/fibre glass don't put it though your stringers , drill on the side of the stringer)

aj

ricki
04-30-2007, 09:47 AM
It's almost that time of year again, the winter wind post was mothballed yesterday, so why not pull this post out of the sailloft and throw it up again?

Repeating, with some additions ...

On average, summer is NOT a good time for kiteboarding in Florida. The wind is often too light or too unstable.

Jonesing for a wind fix when the season typically offers little in useable wind, much of the time, is a way to set yourself up for some trouble.

There are exceptions of course, thermal winds before the afternoon squalls and lightning set in, the odd late season cold front or other useable weather system. Thermal winds are better and more reliable in some years than in others and perhaps in some places (like Tampa???).

1. Plan a trip(s) to a reliable wind destination over the summer (e.g. OBX, SE Texas on the Gulf, one of the windier spots in the Caribbean, etc.. It will give you something to look forward to and allow you to try to dodge some of the shortcomings of riding in the conditions described below.

2. If clean, useable wind comes up be prepared to use it, while checking out all the normal weather Internet info sources first MORE HERE (http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2300711&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=). Keep your eye on conditions and if some unstable stuff moves in, call it a day BEFORE it arrives. USE AND MONITOR HOWZAWIND? and other resources on this site. Thermal winds can come up fast and localized. If you see it, share the joy.

3. In your weather planning avoid squalls associated with tropical systems (e.g. waves, depressions and hurricanes). Some guys don't take this seriously despite all the past accidents and obvious hazardous conditions. We're talking fatalities, brain damage/coma and severe fractures, still guys keep at it despite this sad legacy. Sigh ... there will always be volunteer cannon fodder stepping up for avoidable injury sad to say. Doing proper wx planning, radar, satellite image and forecast analysis can help, look for those large holes. Monitor conditions at the beach even having someone use a PDA or laptop w/aircard at the beach tuned to radar to try to make sure nothing narly moves into your area. Even green colored systems on radar can toss out dangerous gusts at times.

4. Have other interests to carry you through the lighter wind months, diving*, standup paddleboarding*, wakeboarding, WINDSURFING! Yes, windsurfing, as long as you aren't struck by lightning, you might consider going out in squally conditions with a windsurfing rig, IF you know what you are doing. You might still break or strain something but it is harder to get severely injured (read taken out!) windsurfing in unstable wx than kiting. Just have something lined up to try to take the edge off of your wind lust. Wind lust can force us into taking some stupid chances speaking from personal and collective experience.

* Stay tuned, more to come on these activities, soon!

5. Have your light wind gear ready to hand if the wind turns on suddenly. Say a couple of boards, a big twin tip, surfboard, skimboard or the like. I find it easier to change boards than kites. Find and learn how to tune for variable power a good light wind kite. Since bows have been out my largest kite has ranged between 12 and 14 m at 190 lbs. Tuning and board size can really make a big difference.

Be of good heart, the frontal winds typically don't turn off until mid May in many years. There are other activities to do during the summer and there is that good wind destination trip to look forward to. Before you know it those nice clean cold front winds will be back in the fall. Hopefully, without a severe hurricane interlude this time around.

ricki
04-30-2007, 12:17 PM
So, where are folks heading to cope with the doldrums of summer? Paul's deal to Brazil sounds real attractive as does Karen's package to Cabarete. Lots of options out there and a common need driven by wind lust, most years. So, what plans do you have?

The Kite House
05-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Go stand up surfing...small shitty waves, who cares, you might find some nice ones and it will keep you in great shape. I am in Turks, standup in morning, kite in the pm....also bringing 2 boards to leave in D.R. a bad day on the water beats the best day you will have in the office, get out there and do something!

Aloha Paul

ricki
05-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Good advice! We even have a forum for Standup Paddleboarding now:

http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90

firstcoastkite
05-16-2007, 11:45 AM
For the past few years May has been one of our most consistent months for wind here in NE Florida. While S. Florida goes flat and windless, we typically start to pick up a 15-20 knot afternoon sea breeze each afternoon in late May. This May has been exceptional with back to back northeasters and large surf, but that is not the norm. However, we have been known to get northeasters any month of the year.

Last summer was exceptional for N. Florida kiteboarding, because we never got the monsoon that typically plagues south and central Florida with afternoon thunderstorms as soon as the sea breeze kicks in. Keep an eye on it, because if the monsoon is late or never kicks in for us like it did last summer, we could have waist to chest high trade swell and 15-20 knots sea breeze every afternoon and evening again! Last summer it lasted until early August, like clockwork, every day.

Typically the wind will blow out of the SW each morning, switching from the east at 10-12 knots around noon, and then gradually increasing to a peak somewhere in the late afternoon hours around 4 or 5. It typically stays at that peak wind speed until after dark, clocking slowly more sideshore, until dying and switching offshore in the late evening after dark. Keep a watchful eye on the sky for afternoon thunderstorms which will spoil the fun!

Enjoy, and feel free to call with any questions on spots to ride in the St. Augustine area.

Eddie Toy
First Coast Kiteboarding
http://www.firstcoastkiteboarding.com
904-347-6872

Skyway Scott
05-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah,

Last summer was a mindblower for me. I am not use to riding that much in the summer in Fla.
What's up with the rumors (fact probably) about OT getting closed around 6:30 pm due to turtles? How much beach does that affect and how long will policy be in play?

Outer Banks Kiting
05-31-2007, 08:35 AM
With summer doldrums and windlust on the way to Florida....consider a trek to Hatteras! June-July-August conditions on Cape Hatteras are excellent for riders of all levels. Water and air temps in the mid 80s with the predominant winds from the S -SW 12-25mph nearly everyday. Locals take advantage of summer evening thermals and session into the sunset. Hatteras has miles of shallow uncrowded smooth waters in the Pamlico sound, perfect for learning to ride and ocean riding on the north or south side of the island depending on wind direction, for more advanced riders. All this is what makes Cape Hatteras one of the best wind destinations and the best place to learn to kiteboard. Lodging can be found for whatever you need from basic camping (some waterfront) to luxury homes fully loaded w/ movie theaters, pools, spas, whatever it takes to keep everyone happy. Day of no wind.. no worries Hatteras boasts some of the best surfing on the east Coast. Or try some wakeboarding to dial in some board skills to bring to your kiting. Check us out...outerbankskiting.com Come on up- get some riding in or learn to ride this summer and be ready for Floridas fall and winter winds..or maybe that winter kiteboarding trip!
See you on the water!

admin
07-05-2007, 08:11 AM
So, how is it going out there? We've had more than usual riding hours if not days with storms so far this summer in the SE. How about the rest of the state and Bahamas?

ricki
05-18-2008, 06:31 AM
The season has moved on so it seems like a good time to put this post up again. Despite that we are still seeing weaker cold fronts come through in the south part of the state perhaps stronger in the northern part. We've had a couple of bouts of stronger thermal winds this week increasing frontal winds. (UPDATE: We had a strong cold front come through at the end of May and moderate winds are predicted for early June. Both fairly unusual events so you may have to play this season as it comes along.) Starting to feel like summer, so repeating for the start of Summer 2008, with some additions ...

On average, summer is NOT a good time for kiteboarding in Florida. The wind is often too light or too unstable. "Useable wind" can be in short supply.

There are exceptions of course, thermal winds before the afternoon squalls and lightning set in, the odd late season cold front or other useable weather system. Thermal winds are better and more reliable in some years than in others and perhaps in some places. Thermal wind patterns vary from year to year, sometimes being rare, at other times lacking the thermal squall stack and other times coming through in afternoons with some regularity.

1. Plan a trip(s) to a reliable wind destination over the summer (e.g. OBX, SE Texas on the Gulf, one of the windier spots in the Caribbean, Brazil, etc.). It will give you something to look forward to and allow you to try to dodge some of the shortcomings of riding in the conditions described below.

2. If clean, useable wind comes up be prepared to use it, while checking out all the normal weather Internet info sources first MORE HERE (http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12). Keep your eye on conditions and if some unstable stuff moves in, call it a day BEFORE it arrives. USE AND MONITOR HOWZAWIND? and other resources on this site. Thermal winds can come up fast and localized. If you see it, share the joy. Your post may be the only way some guys find out about some short term useable wind.

3. In your weather planning avoid squalls associated with tropical systems (e.g. waves, depressions and hurricanes). Some guys don't take this seriously despite all the past accidents and obvious hazardous conditions. We're talking fatalities, brain damage/coma and severe fractures, still guys keep at it despite this sad legacy. Sigh ... there will always be volunteer cannon fodder stepping up for avoidable injury sad to say. Doing proper wx planning, radar, satellite image and forecast analysis can help, look for those large holes. Monitor conditions at the beach even having someone use a PDA or laptop w/aircard at the beach tuned to radar to try to make sure nothing narly moves into your area. Even green colored systems on radar can toss out dangerous gusts at times. Flat kites help gust management quite a bit still too much wind can be just that and if you have a tangle, broken bridal, fail to try to depower, etc. problems can still happen. Last year, the fall came with some stronger useable winds from subtropical systems. In the cases that come to mind there weren't squalls in our area and they didn't arrive with hurricane force winds either, always a very good thing.

4. Have other interests to carry you through the lighter wind months, diving*, standup paddleboarding, wakeboarding, windsurfing, diving! Yes, windsurfing, as long as you aren't struck by lightning, you might consider going out in squally conditions with a windsurfing rig, IF you know what you are doing. You might still break or strain something but it is harder to get severely injured (read taken out!) windsurfing in unstable wx than kiting. Just have something lined up to try to take the edge off of your wind lust. Wind lust can force us into taking some stupid chances speaking from personal and collective experience. We have forums dealing with Standup and diving at: http://fksa.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90

5. Have your light wind gear ready to hand if the wind turns on suddenly. Say a couple of boards, a big twin tip, surfboard, skimboard or the like. I find it easier to change boards than kites. Find and learn how to tune for variable power a good light wind kite. Since flat kites have been out my largest kites usually have ranged between 12 and 14 m at 190 lbs. Tuning and board size can really make a big difference. Large flat kites perform differently, so if you are thinking about getting a really big one, be sure to demo it first. Be sure to pay attention to your board choice when working the lower end. It will make a big difference in performance.

Be of good heart, the frontal winds typically don't turn off until mid May in many years. There are other activities to do during the summer and there is that good wind destination trip to look forward to. Before you know it those nice clean cold front winds will be back in the fall.

Have a great summer and let us know how it is going out there!

ricki
05-26-2009, 07:50 AM
It feels like summer weather patterns are coming on. Time to bring this thread back to the top. Any new ideas out there on getting through summer?

We did something fun yesterday. Did a standup run three miles down the coast to lunch at a beach front place then paddled back. The 15 mph head wind and sudden chop on the way back was a challenge but we made it. In summer there are days of calm weather and tons of beach spots for all three meals, drinks, whatever. It is a peaceful but interesting way to wind wait for the winds of fall.

mikerooka
06-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Liquid Force was thinking of holding an event there,let me see what we can do.
This is what we do when there is no wind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcYJgK4stnw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIf6pXQ39_8

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/video/video.php?v=1086035513286

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvuq4o8kM-I

:confused:

BcYJgK4stnw

RIf6pXQ39_8

Dvuq4o8kM-I

ricki
05-25-2010, 11:44 AM
For the fifth year running, it is getting closer to summer so time send the winter thread into the archives and to dust off the Summer Survival Guide. Be of good cheer though as the winds have yet to ebb. Actually got out three times over the weekend a few days ago.

Who knows what summer winds will be like this year. Conventional wisdom suggests they will be poor but we'll see. Best to lay on those wind destination trips if you can to help manage wind lust. There is always Standup and diving to help manage the pangs of wind withdraw.

This year is unique due to the Deep Horizon oil spill threat. We can hope that it doesn't make it to Florida in any substantial form. It has been going for about a month and is creeping towards the Straits via the Loop Current. Good luck to us on that score!

So, all the best on your summer, hope it is a good one!

ricki
05-29-2016, 08:59 AM
Foiling, foiling with light wind large LEI kites and ram air foils, what other new ideas are out there for surviving light wind in Florida's summer?

Jake
05-29-2016, 01:02 PM
Paddle boarding, surfing, kayaking, fishing, cycling, golf, and my most favorite-lounging in the pool with a cold beer!:D

ricki
05-29-2016, 10:23 PM
Thank you for your suggestions Jake. Keeping body and mind constructively engaged to help ease through the doldrums is key. Good luck out there!

Shea Gibson of WeatherFlow/iKitesurf explains why summer normally brings the end of reliable, good wind in Florida while it may turn on elsewhere at:

http://blog.weatherflow.com/what-happens-in-florida-stays-in-florida/