PDA

View Full Version : MAGICAL Properties Of Kite Tuning???

ricki
04-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Here is an interesting story about tuning.

I weigh about 190 lbs. while Jay weighs about 145 lbs. We have both been riding for quite a long time.

One day Jay was on his 8 m Yarga kite, I only had a 13 m of the same type. I tuned the kite with a fairly flat angle of attack via the pigtails. Not totally flat but above two positions about that. In effect I could have depowered the kite more. We both had a nice session without either one of us being overpowered.

The next time I went out, a few days later, I hadn't added to the quiver in my car as I normally would have. It was fairly light even for larger kites but I just got off work and wanted to put in a session. I went to the beach and Jay was out on a 16.5 m Yarga, having to sinusoid at times. I figured well, I can at least go through the exercise of rigging up and if it is too light, well i earned it. This time I rigged the same 13 m kite for max angle of attack attaching to the outermost leading edge pigtail knot and something i hadn't tried before, to the nylon webbing sewn to the kite that the pigtail is attached to on the trailing edge. I launched the kite, it flew fairly normally although obviously distorted through oversheeting. I had a nice session, staying upwind most of the time and even throwing a few nice jumps for the light conditions. There was another experienced rider out on a 16.5 m yarga as well who was about my weight. He was not staying upwind. I believe both Jay and the other fellow tuned their kites for the mid range as many folks frequently do.

So, 145 lb. guy on 8 m to 16.5 m kites with reasonable power without fine tuning.

And, a 190 lb. guy on a 13 m kite with variable tuning for the same wind conditions.

Both guys had similar kite power.

Makes you think.

A kite tuned for extreme range (large or low angle of attack) won't fly as well as one tuned for the mid range. Still, it is nice to have the option when you need it. Tuning is worth looking into, it can deliver some fairly impressive results.

FKA, Inc.

Transcribed by:
Rick Iossi