PDA

View Full Version : flat water

pegnation
10-04-2007, 10:41 AM
hey, I just started kiting a few weeks ago. I was out last Saturday off Delray. The waves weren't too bad however I went out Tuesday night and got pounded. Where is a good place to get in some time on the board in a flat or relatively flat water area? I am cool to drive wherever.

Thanks Marc

ricki
10-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Best bet would be the Flats of Miami or the Keys with easterly winds in SE Florida. Hundreds of square miles of calm water. If you go with a chase boat you can arrange for them to follow you on long downwinders through shallow, calm water. Your skills should develop very rapidly under such conditions.

More at:

http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=3519
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=1263
http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=468

pegnation
10-04-2007, 10:55 AM
thanks man.. I just moved here from Canada. I'm a solid snowboarder just have to get used to having the snow move... lol.

ricki
10-04-2007, 11:29 AM
thanks man.. I just moved here from Canada. I'm a solid snowboarder just have to get used to having the snow move... lol.

Lots of great riding ahead for you, this feels like it could be a good season. I hear you, I pretend I'm on water to improve my snowboarding sometimes. Be of good heart, it may snow down here one every 40 or so years. Made a snowman in Tampa last time around in the late '70's.

pegnation
10-04-2007, 01:15 PM
i am very happy to be away from the winter and the snow... If I miss it, it's only 3 hours by plane to go home!!
Is there a lot of god kiting in Tampa? what's the best place in Florida?

BigR
10-04-2007, 01:18 PM
there is alot of good kiting in Tampa, from flat water to waves. any wind direction you want, but its a three-four hour drive from delray

ricki
10-04-2007, 01:36 PM
... what's the best place in Florida?

A very simple question, with a complicated answer. In a sense, it's all good (over 1350 miles!), at least the parts along the Straits of Florida and Gulf of Mexico. It is worth touring all the coastal areas in time. I reserve opinion on the inland lakes, sorry guys.

The north can be cooler but with stronger winds more of the time and larger waves during the windy season, or about now. They may have more and better thermal winds during the warmer, light wind months. These areas can be lightly populated, more beach and wind for you and a quieter pace of life. The NW coast differs in dramatic and interesting ways from the NE coast.

Central Florida along the east coast has similarities to the NE coast with stronger winds and waves and perhaps may be just a bit warmer. I don't think any of these areas are that cold, yet. Along the Central West Coast there is the Tampa Bay area and surrounds. No end of sheltered water, sand bars, islands, ragged coastline with lots of options particularly for kiters traveling by boat. Just from shore there are lots of great places to ride. Cold fronts deliver winds from the western and eastern arcs of the compass. When the stronger winds are in the west half, the west coast is the place to be. When things shift to the east, better conditions can be found off the east coast. You can still ride in both parts of the state in winds from most any direction however. Ft. Desoto is rideable at different launches from virtually any direction.

Moving further south ...

pegnation
10-05-2007, 08:30 AM
thanks man.. I am pumped to raise my level of ability so I can start to race and compete in some events... The long distance races look like a lot of fun.