PDA

View Full Version : bladder repair q

bdiggs
09-28-2007, 08:10 AM
my leading edge on my 2005 contra seems to have a small leak, it just wont stay fully inflated. Is there a way to check the valves without removing the bladder(sumerge in pool I would imagine). Any tips for bladder repair would help.

popeye
09-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Soapy water to check the valves.

Your ear to find the pinhole...you'll hear it.

Stick a patch on it.

inferno
09-28-2007, 08:54 AM
you dont have to remove the bladder to change the valve.....

Skyway Scott
09-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Before you do that, clean out that dump/inflate valve real well.
Where you screw it in, sometimes small bits of sand get in there and cause the seal to leak, slowly.

That might save you a major headache if that's the actual problem.

BigR, does that kite have that valve? I am assuming.

BigR
09-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Yes the contra has a screw in dump inflate valve that constantly gets sand in it.

I always clean mine religiously just B 4 inflating the kite each session.

If its the valve and NOT the bladder then clean it out, problem solved

bdiggs
10-02-2007, 10:15 AM
big valve seems to be leaking slowly cleaned valve and still leaking slowly where you screw the valve together. what should i do to seal the valve better, silicon or something like that.

BigR
10-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Try to make a determination if it is the valve itself OR if it the valve seal to the bladder which is leaking.

I would not use silicon or oil just water to seal the valve itself as the solvents in these hydrocarbon based mixtures might do more harm than good.

bryanleighty
10-02-2007, 10:35 AM
try some thread tape.. see if that helps..

BigR
10-02-2007, 12:07 PM
If you come to the conclusion that it is the valve itself and not the valve to bladder seal then you can easily replace it with a new one by just pulling the o ring out from around its groove and getting a new valve

popeye
10-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Pure silicone grease is safe ... no petroleum products.

You can buy this from a dive shop.

...but it attracts sand and will only make the problem worse over time...

Teflon tape would work but annoying to do every time.

Why a threaded plug anyway? That seems like a really silly design for a sandy beach!

BigR
10-02-2007, 03:07 PM
works well for me if you just carefull to keep sand out.

actually I 've found the salt that dries out on the threads to be worse since sand you can clean easy but not always dried salt

bdiggs
10-03-2007, 08:29 AM
teflon tape fixed the leak and yesterday while getting my lines out the le bladder blew up at the valve? Is the baladder fixable? I have 200 hundred invested in the contra and wanted a newer bow or sle, is it worth replacing. any suggestion on a new used kite(been watching on ebay used warhoos and crossbows). I am a beginer and weigh 190lbs. and live in bonita springs.