PDA

View Full Version : New NAISH HELIX VS new GK SONIC

RKITEKT
09-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Ok Guys and gals,
Obviously I am a BEST promoter being friends with Randy and Cindy and A-Bomb and all that. However, I am not loyal to such a degree that I won't try new designs out.

So, I was getting all stoked about the new NAISH Kites with the SIGMA DESIGN. I read up all the reviews about the Helix and now I want one! It just seems so intelligently engineered to me, mocking the shape of a bat. No more then two points of the leading edge on the water, allows for less drag and the relaunching ability and flying efficiency just seems PERFECT to me!

I was out riding with my good buddies Gabor and Shawn Saturday at LIDO, and I was telling them about the new Helix kites. Gabor wasn't surprised at all and told me that GK had a new design coming out for the SONIC kite. Supposedly instead of the center of the leading edge pointing inward like on the HELIX, it will point outward, creating a nose on the front of the kite. This is supposed to create the same affect as the HELIX, but I want to know the differences. I wonder if the Patent Naish has on the SIGMA designs forced GK to try an alternative?

So, has anyone seen this design of the new GK SONIC yet or have any info? ANY DIE HARD GK SONIC RIDERS and NAISH riders in here? I'm sure you know what I am talking about... if so... let me know...

Thanks,
Christopher ( toby's tasty lil fruitcake )

Skyway Scott
09-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Buy one. I want to see one.

pdfox
09-17-2007, 10:59 AM
They had one at Surf Expo

http://www.thekiteboarder.com/wordpress/?p=1042

RKITEKT
09-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Awesome, thanks for the video PDFOX. Scott, YOU buy me one and I will demo it for you, crash it, slash it, tear it up, then give it back to you and tell ya "nah... I don't like it"

HAHAHA

BigR
09-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Lotsa good stuff on there

http://www.thekiteboarder.com/wordpress/?p=1050

:D

bryanleighty
09-17-2007, 11:29 AM
the helix was out in full force in hood river when i was there recently.

i didnt get a chance to demo it.. the guys riding it were mostly cruisers.. didnt see it jump much.. i did see some guys take exceptionally long times to relaunch. cannot tell if it was the rider or the kite.. or both.. but this was on at least 3 different instances with different riders and different kites. might just have been folks that are used to one method that does not work on another kite.. i cant imagine having to relaunch a C kite after 2 seasons on waroos. would be interesting to say the least.

shogun1204
09-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Talk to a guy riding one of the Nash Helix kites up in Ft. Walton this weekend. He is mainly a C-kiter and teaches down at the XLKites. He had it out just to mess around with it from the shop. He told me that it was the best "Full" Bow kite he has ever flown. Said if you like "Full" bow kites, (SS Turbo Diesel 2, Cabrihna, etc) said you would love it. He told me to ride it, but then the wind died. :mad:

RKITEKT
09-17-2007, 12:37 PM
He told me that it was the best "Full" Bow kite he has ever flown. Said if you like "Full" bow kites, (SS Turbo Diesel 2, Cabrihna, etc) said you would love it. He told me to ride it, but then the wind died. :mad:

Well, I imagined it would be more like a C kite, but it seems they just took the design of a bow kite and engineered it to be EVEN MORE EFFICIENT with EVEN LESS DRAG then the original BOW KITE DESIGN.

I can't believe you ALMOST got to ride the HELIX ROY! Oh well, maybe next time, eh? I hope someone gets one around here soon to demo. Watersports West maybe?

STEVE-O????? OH STEVE-OOOOO ????

I have 08 HELIX and 08 GK SONIC dreams! Help me out here buddy!!!

RKITEKT
09-17-2007, 12:40 PM
[quote=bryanleighty;23193]the helix was out in full force in hood river when i was there recently.quote]

You've been to Hood River bro? WOW! I wanna go next time. WOULD love to kite on some FRESH WATER for a change. I have a friend out that way, and she says if I come, I will never want to leave. AHHH... but she has never been to Florida yet.

You got friends out that way Bryan?

BigR
09-17-2007, 01:06 PM
That depends on your definition, Do you call your family friends?

bryanleighty
09-17-2007, 01:14 PM
i am from oregon. entire family lives there. my dad live 30 min from hood river. alas, until this year i had never been kiting there. its one of the most amazing places to ride.. i cannot recommend it enough to anyone..

RKITEKT
09-17-2007, 01:19 PM
DUDE!!!! That is such good news to hear! Next time you go home, please let me know. I won't ask you to pack me in your suitcase, but I will book a flight to come kite with you for a few days while you are out there!

WAY COOL!

I am happy you got to kitesurf for the first time in your stompin grounds!

SWEET!!!

popeye
09-17-2007, 01:23 PM
All of the reviews I have read said it's just like a bow kite... so it's best for the free ride crowd (jumping, carving, etc)... not so good for unhooked stuff, kiteloops, etc.

The reviews didn't sound all that exciting... not bad or anything but they just seemed like it was a better than the average bow but not anything ground breaking.

Would like to try one though.

RKITEKT
09-17-2007, 01:24 PM
That depends on your definition, Do you call your family friends?

well... haha... good point...sometimes... and sometimes I can call my family friends, and sometimes I call my friends family. The difference between the two, as we all know, friends come and go.

DUDE.... its gonna hit 20 knots by 5 PM at the SW!

Be there or be a triangle!

shogun1204
09-17-2007, 01:25 PM
I know the local shop up in PC (pcbkitesurf.com) is becoming a Naish Dealer and they are getting the Helix. As soon as they get some they will have some demos. Once I get to ride one, I will try to write up a review for it.

inferno
09-17-2007, 01:25 PM
and go.

DUDE.... its gonna hit 20 knots by 5 PM at the SW!

!

what forecast is that from....

Skyway Scott
09-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I am thinking skunk central until 10 pm.

RKITEKT
09-17-2007, 04:15 PM
what the heck happened to the forcast? SHEEZE!!! Hmmm... ok... heading home for pizza and beer now. Guess it will be a late nighter before it fills in...

Someone txt me if you find wind. 941-726-7530

Thanks,
Christopher

Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2)
09-17-2007, 05:11 PM
I am thinking skunk central until 10 pm.

hey whats the real name of skunk central, i wanna find some better places than north shore, cuz thats the only place i kite, i would try the skyway but i herd its really sketchy, any ideas??

BigR
09-17-2007, 05:32 PM
the real name of Skunk Central

is

ICannotKiteSurfToday.com

Ross Bond(blu Swchblde 2)
09-17-2007, 05:41 PM
the real name of Skunk Central

is

ICannotKiteSurfToday.com

lol dang i thought it might have been ft. desoto or something, i sure feel stupid lol:???:

RKITEKT
09-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Ross with the new Mini? Hey buddy! Its Chris from down at our Venice Beach spot. You and I ride with the DR. Craig. Its you right? I am in Sarasota now, but come down occasionally to visit family at the beach condo. Haven't kitesurfed out there in a while though. You?

Anyway, let me know if I am crazy or if I found that crazy Brit named Ross from Venice.

later brah,
Christopher

:)