PDA

View Full Version : Sunday racing... anyone up?

kent
08-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Looking at the wind coming for Sunday, I was thinking of hosting an informal bay race. We could start at Matheson and head north to a mark just off the sister banks just south of the windsurfer truck on the Cswy. Then we would race back SE and round the southern most house at Stilltsville and finish back an Matheson.

I can probably get Adventure Sports Miami to toss in a few prizes and spring for the beer if we have any takers. let me know.

Kent

ricki
08-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Sounds like fun Kent. The current forecast is for 15 to 20kt. east winds. Looks like that is a good direction for your course.

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album129/Stiltsville_Miami.jpg

What's your guess for the winning time?

ricki
08-17-2007, 10:37 AM
http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/files/googleearth_image_1_111.jpg

Kent just emailed this to me of the course. Come on guys, could be a blast. Who's in?

kent
08-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Kent Marinkovic
Garry Menk
Damien Leroy
Todd Greaux
Dan Floyd

We are in!

kent
08-17-2007, 12:39 PM
or... we could do a race from matheson to soldier key and back. round trip is the same as the other course, just a bit over 17 miles. it is a very nice island and it's not too dangerous, but we would have no boat support.

come on let's vote...

Kent

AEsco48
08-17-2007, 07:58 PM
im down...if not i say we do a downwinder from South beach>crandon>stilts>soldier>math!!!!

AndresE

ricki
08-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Never been to Soldier, that gets my vote. Looks like it is about 45 degrees off an east wind from Matheson (maybe a bit less), good for close hauled or do you think tacking upwind will be needed?

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&q=map+soldier+key&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF-8&t=h&om=1&ll=25.652668,-80.231781&spn=0.205806,0.233459&z=12&iwloc=addr

Here's the current NWS forecast:

SUNDAY
EAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND SLIGHT CHANCE
OF THUNDERSTORMS.

SUNDAY NIGHT
EAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET.
INTRACOASTAL WATERS ROUGH IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS.

MONDAY
EAST WINDS 20 TO 25 KNOTS. SEAS 6 TO 8 FEET. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS ROUGH IN EXPOSED AREAS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND SLIGHT CHANCE
OF THUNDERSTORMS.

mbs
08-18-2007, 09:06 AM
Sounds good. I'm in too. Matt.

miamijose
08-18-2007, 09:17 AM
count me in too

mbs
08-18-2007, 09:19 AM
what time at matheson? I guess we can see how the wind direction is tommorrow but matheson to soldier seems like it may be a lot of work on an east wind. Even matheson to sister banks would probable involve at least a few tacks, but might be easier for those of us who don't rocket up wind quite like Kent can.
Andreas, we can check it out on sunday morning at matheson, and if we decide not to race we can leave a car at matheson and drive upwind to the beach.

Bring on the wind!!

Matt.

stacey
08-18-2007, 11:16 AM
I'll be there too. Don't have a speed board yet, so I'll be five hours slower than everyone else, but oh well. I'm used to that by now.

kent
08-18-2007, 11:44 AM
Sounds good. How about we meet at math at 11:30 for a noon start. we will look closely at the wind and see from there. Soldier is very nice but will likely take a tack or two depending on your board.

See you at Math tomorrow (and today later)

Kent

500EPILOT
08-18-2007, 07:45 PM
I'll try to keep up, hope the wind works for Soldier Key.
JP

AEsco48
08-18-2007, 08:14 PM
today i saw kent on the water ONCE....he zoomed by me...i screamed "is that the board you are going to beat me on tomm"...he smiled...and that was all i saw of him...werd on the shore was he went to Africa and back just to warm up for tomm's "race"....

ricki
08-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Looks like things are to fill in today from NWS:
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/shmrn.php?mz=amz651

TODAY
EAST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS BECOMING 15 TO 20 KNOTS. SEAS
3 TO 5 FEET BUILDING TO 4 TO 6 FEET IN THE AFTERNOON. INTRACOASTAL
WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED AREAS. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND ISOLATED
THUNDERSTORMS IN THE MORNING BECOMING ISOLATED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS BY AFTERNOON.

TONIGHT
EAST WINDS 20 KNOTS. SEAS 4 TO 6 FEET BUILDING TO 5 TO
7 FEET AFTER MIDNIGHT. INTRACOASTAL WATERS CHOPPY IN EXPOSED
AREAS. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

There are some squalls moving across the area now but seem to be fairly isolated. Hope there aren't any around for the race several hours from now. The forecast suggests they should thin out some more.

ricki
08-19-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry but I wimped out. Did you have enough wind? How was it?

AEsco48
08-19-2007, 08:21 PM
the wind was a bit up and down and on the lower end around 1pm...so we ended up just doing a race btwn 3 points relatively close to the bay....but basically only people on directional boards made it..haha...but all i all it was a great day....thanks to everyone...

kent
08-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Well we did a few small windward-leeward race, but it was painfully obvious that if we want more racers, that everyone is going to have to upgrade their equipment to directionals.

If you are looking for something that will work for racing and waves, look for a quad fin board around 5'6 to 5'11 and around 17 inches wide. For racing you might need your front fins a bit larger than your standard wave riding fins. Another good option is the Placebo which seems to work good out of the box. you can stick on a set of NSI pads with footstrap inserts. This board works equally well for regular surfing.

We have them at the shop for $599.

Kent

ricki
08-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Damn, and here I was thinking I could bring back some of my old directionals. That is a pretty narrow board, 17 inches, my Rush Randle HiTech board might come close but the rails are pretty soft. More gear!

jon modica
08-22-2007, 07:12 AM
The placebo is hands down the best production board you can buy for racing. But if you really want the highest performance you need to see Derek
www.DCBOARDZ.com
-Jon