PDA

View Full Version : Crandon Park

Gir
08-09-2007, 10:17 AM
I have heard that Kiteboarding is banned in the summer at Crandon. However my sister's kids, that live near, say they have seen kiteboarders often and recently.
We are headed there the weekend for a BBQ on the beach, will I at least be able to fly the trainer kites?

kiwiar2000
08-09-2007, 08:04 PM
I have heard the same thing as well, but how strange because there were no winds whatsoever in the past few days/week... people sneak in while the administration is unavailable for monitoring
-Danny

AEsco48
08-10-2007, 03:05 PM
You can also just go south of the park....

500EPILOT
08-13-2007, 11:16 AM
You might be seeing instructors/students that arrive by boat? I was out on the ski last week and saw kites in the water tied off to a boat.

Freddynmb
08-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Hey Guys i was also wandering about Crandon Park. It looks like monday is gonna bring us some strong easterly winds. Does anybody know if we are allow to kite there during week days? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Also if there's any other alternatives such us Virginia Key which last time I heard was banned as well. Thanks. Freddy

ricki
08-20-2007, 08:41 AM
Hey Guys i was also wandering about Crandon Park. It looks like monday is gonna bring us some strong easterly winds. Does anybody know if we are allow to kite there during week days? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Also if there's any other alternatives such us Virginia Key which last time I heard was banned as well. Thanks. Freddy

Virginia Key Beach is closed until further notice. Christophe is trying to negotiate something with the management of Crandon Park but it is too early to say if he will be successful.

This leaves the other few normal remaining spots, for now. Guys, avoiding problems at these beaches doesn't require all that much effort. Ball's in your court, take care of access or trash it, riders choice.

BigR
09-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Guys, it is now after labor day, does anybody know if we are allowed to kite yet @ Crandon????

In the past they have let us kite from labor day thru memorial day

Big Air in Florida
09-11-2007, 12:36 PM
I drove there last week and spoke to a park worker who said no but they are working on it.

I'm new here so take it for what it's worth..

ricki
09-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Christophe is taking the lead on restoring access through his concession there. He asked me about finding streamers via email the other day so it looks like things are moving forward. Certification will be required along with other things including a rider cap. Hopefully, Christophe will put the word out here soon as well as on his website, miamikiteboarding.com.

The rules appear at:
http://miamikiteboarding.com/NewRulesforCrandon.htm

ricki
09-11-2007, 02:57 PM
I just spoke to Christophe and he hopes the park will open things within two weeks. He has hired a guy to stay near the beach to sign people in and answer questions. We desperately needed someone like this years back but couldn't afford it. Streamers will be checked out and returned with a max number of riders of 25. Riders will have to have IKO or PASA Level III Certification and other rules will apply, see above. As always this is a test case, one I hope we perform well in. Getting kicked out again will serve no one any good.

So, once it is open again, word will appear here and on miamikiteboarding.com.

ricki
09-12-2007, 11:28 AM
This just in from Christophe:

The park is currently working on installing signage and buoys to set the boundaries and rules of the kitesurfing designated area in Crandon North beach.

Re-opening for kitesurfers will definetly happen and is scheduled in the next couple of weeks.

As you may already know, the access to Crandon park will be strictly limited to 25 advanced kitesurfers at a time , with an IKO or PASA card level 3 ( independant riders staying upwind CONSITENTLY- know the self rescue procedures- know the righ-a-way rules , and can kite among multiple kites around)
AND MUST CARRY AN IKO KITESURFING LIABILITY INSURANCE.
For those who already have then IKO level 3 card, You can purchase the kitesurfing insurance instantly online at :
http://www.ikointl.com/kb_insurance.php?affil=S656

Riders who do not have the IKO card level 3 yet will be able to obtain it on the beach after a quick check up with MKB instrcutors.
PASA card holder will obtain the IKO equivalency card on the beach as well upon presentation of their current PASA card.
Immediates Insurances policies will be available on the beach too.

DO NOT CALL THE PARK OFFICES INDIVIDUALLY TO ASK FOR RE-OPENING DATES AS THEY ARE BUSY ENOUGH WITH DAILY TASK ALREADY . The informed us that they will officially spread the info through this kiteforum, once the dates are set officially.

Anyway, the wind is not picking up good before October usually. and it's a matter of week or 2 .
Matheson park is still open for now, just be very careful with other kiters when launching / landing , and go offshore right away to open up the spaces as it's kinda of congested on windy days since it's the only access so far.
As well as Miami beach wherever there is NO LIFEGUARDS , but always stay far clear from swim Zones !

see u on the water.

miamikiteboarding
09-26-2007, 11:28 AM
yes guys,
we work on it ,and will make a big effort to make things work. the school will pay sbdy to be in charge of helping with sign-in and respect the rules. but nothing major than before:
-advacned riders only ,Level 3 IKO or PASA check on the beach
- no more beginners, ( unless taking lessons with a MKB instrcutor) ,
-Individual insurance mandatory ( $89 /year valid worldwide click here : http://www.ikointl.com/kb_insurance.php?affil=S656 ),
- helmet not mandatory anymore
-daily sign in directly on the beach with a streamer to put on the kite
- max 25 riders. we all will have to be courteous with other riders to let everybody enjoy a bit of the day.

and obviously respect the limits with swimmers. they won't be kidding on that. i can tell you the lifeguards do not want to see any rider drifting or fooling around the swimmers, that could lead to direct expulsion.
so make sure you can stay upwind at all times , or anticipate and rescu back to the shore kite in hands !

we expect within a week.
to tell you the truth, we are waiting for 4 month already at Miamikiteboarding.

And yes it was us this summer , teaching from our boats on the sandbars 200 yards form the shore, when the thermals were picking up. It's still the safest set up for beginners or intermediates during onshore winds.

Plus i refuse to add more crowd especially beginners, to the already congested Matheson area where couple of good instructors are trying to do a good job, but a bunch of others Out-of-the-trunk " lesson-teachers" are buzzing the place with uncontrolled beginners all over the spot.

And that's how a spot get shut down , as soon as somebody gets hurt during or after a lesson with a non-legal,non-insured,non-licensed, non-certified instructor sucking up the temptative opportunity to make extra Cash for a while regardless of crucial safety and risk-potential aspects of the sport, and have no idea of what Liability could mean in case of incidents... but the authorities on their part know very well , and it takes just one time-accident or complaint for all the kitesurfing to shut down in the region.
And we all loose, especially those who recognized, accepted and respected the inherent danger of the sport in public areas from the begining , and always made the extra 100 yards to keep the buffer safety zone.

Hopefully there are some great and commited fellow riders out there in Matheson for a while , who gave enough of their time and patience to spread out the safe word and prevent from majors incidents.

That is the scenario crandon park didn't want to see happen, and that's why they reviewed completely the kitesurfing deal in Crandon park. tightened the rules , narrowed the number of riders down, and imposed liability insurance to all .
From now on, u safe or u out.

we keep u updated in Crandon park. I have to update my website too , u right, Labor day is way passed already.