PDA

View Full Version : Slingshot REV

Adam
08-08-2007, 02:57 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OiKY8S9HGFs Looks pretty sick! I hope they come out intime for next season. What does everyone think?

JoshTaylor
08-08-2007, 03:32 PM
not a big fan of the 5th line...

Unimog Bob
08-08-2007, 06:38 PM
I wonder why they didn't call it the Link II ? Have they announced a release date for the "Red Bridle" for this version? After 24 months of development after releasing it to the public maybe it is right. Will they give you any trade in value for your Link or Turbo diesel?...... No No really we promise it is a good kite this time... I know we said that last time but we really mean it now... Trust us with your $1500 and place your order today!

Bob

Adam
08-08-2007, 08:28 PM
not a big fan of the 5th line...
i dont think its a 5th line i was reading some stuff on kiteforum and they said 4 line. And yeah Bob thats what i was thinking lol if its a repete of the link then im not to intrested. id like to demo one to see how it rides.

JoshTaylor
08-08-2007, 10:26 PM
idk what else that could be? i know the chicken loop line isn't that long. idk looks like a system similar to the 5th line.. to cluttered for me... i just hate having a line right there

also why'd they have such a sh**y rider in the video? cmon now slingshot

Adam
08-08-2007, 10:51 PM
hahaha! i said the same damn thing

popeye
08-09-2007, 10:05 AM
No, it's a 4 line but depowers like a 5th line... ie: it falls out of the sky like a bomb when you let go of the bar. For a kite with limited depower (old C kite) this was better than a suicide leash, but on a modern kite I'd rather it stay in the air for 5 seconds (depowered) until I can get to the bar than crash down into the middle of the riding area.

I guess you could put a suicide leash on it instead.....

I hope the kite is as good as the riders who are on it... if it is it's probably pretty good although that is the one of the ugliest biggest chicken loops I have ever seen.

<jason
08-09-2007, 10:32 AM
What do ya think about this "delta c shape"...

neil xrated
08-09-2007, 10:50 AM
Its a 4 line kite. Will do a demo as soon as the wind comes back. You can make your own mind up then. Mine already is. Cheers Neil

Adam
08-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Its a 4 line kite. Will do a demo as soon as the wind comes back. You can make your own mind up then. Mine already is. Cheers Neil

sounds good Neil

popeye
08-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd be interested in trying it out too... looked like it turned fast as hell in the videos... those were some sweeeet kite loops!

neil xrated
08-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Super fast, but not going to pimp it on the internet, it does not need it. You just need to try it. Neil

shawnwar4586
08-09-2007, 04:59 PM
The rev rocks super simple.

Steve-O
08-09-2007, 09:26 PM
Don't think this will send any kind of earthquake like the Best post awhile back....but currently stocking new T2's at the shop. Neil.....so far have been extremely impressed with the kite. There isn't anything out there easier to teach with than the T2. I can see why Real Kiteboarding got literally a truckload of those things. An awesome kite, turns fast, huge depower, and relaunches in the lightest of winds.

Yes T1 and Link were not much of a hit, but the T2 is a winner for sure and looking forward to the REV.

Really glad to see that Slingshot is back in the game and offering pricing that is competive with the popular Best Waroo. Way to go SS!!!!!!

Thanks for supporting all your local kite shops!!!! :)

Adam
08-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Steve-o im really intrested in the T2's and i want to ride one to see how they are. Are you gonna have a demo of them any time soon?

bryanleighty
08-10-2007, 07:52 AM
no wind = no demo.

:(

I know that Randy's got a new Yarga and WSW has got some new gear .. hopefully when the wind kicks in we can organize a demo day or something.

last season when they threw the pre-race party and had all the new kites there was one of the best days ever. got to demo 3 kites and 3 boards in 11 to 12m (18knts+) conditions (perfect demo wind in my opinion).

I am hoping to get some time on some new kites in the next couple weeks. the Rev and the Helix have been spotted at the Gorge and I've got a few lines on demos.. we will see what happens.

bryanleighty
08-10-2007, 09:50 AM
good review of the REV @ kiteforum..

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2341101

good comparisions between number of other flat kites.. looks like SS has a great kite on their hands..

some great kites coming out this year.. cant wait to give them a shot.

Erick
08-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Steve-o im really intrested in the T2's and i want to ride one to see how they are. Are you gonna have a demo of them any time soon?

Wud up Adam?

Contact Matt Sexton. I'm sure he will let you demo the kite. I did last Sunday for a brief time.

popeye
08-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Now that's a review I can believe... what the reviewer said about the waroos and problems with kiteloops on them is pretty accurate (and one reason I am considering switching to hybrids). His comparison sounds pretty factual and based on advanced riding experience so I believe him when he says it is a really good kite. If you can't point out a few flaws then you can never improve upon anything or develop new ideas... nothing is perfect... so I am glad he also mentioned things he didn't like about the kite.

One thing I am not sure about is the depower system ... not sure how I feel about a foot or two of extra rope hanging below the bar. That seems awkward for unhooked stuff especially for us short guys. I don't need more lines getting tangled around my short legs... the leash is enough and I keep it as short as possible.

However, it may be entirely different than I imagine.

Sounds like slingshot may be back in the bow kite game.

bryanleighty
08-10-2007, 12:40 PM
I'm with ya Tom..

if you get a chance before trying a Rev, take a look at the Monkey Kite bar. its very similar to the waroo 2007 bar with the dual line and stopper, but the depower is a cleat right above the chicken loop. it is difficult to trim while riding. i rode the 12m Monkey for an hour session in pretty strong winds and had a hard time depowering with the cleat unless i came to a full stop and used both hands. also had this overwhelming feeling that one slight bump to the line would kick it out of the cleat and snap the kite back to full power.

I am not a fan of the below the bar depower .. possible the Rev's system is more kook-proof and easier to trim. but still at full depower you would have at least 10 to 12 inches of depower line dangling near your spreader bar hook and CL.

i'll try to get a good look at it if i see one this week.

popeye
08-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm with ya Tom..

if you get a chance before trying a Rev, take a look at the Monkey Kite bar. its very similar to the waroo 2007 bar with the dual line and stopper, but the depower is a cleat right above the chicken loop. it is difficult to trim while riding. i rode the 12m Monkey for an hour session in pretty strong winds and had a hard time depowering with the cleat unless i came to a full stop and used both hands. also had this overwhelming feeling that one slight bump to the line would kick it out of the cleat and snap the kite back to full power.

Right me either... Clam cleats are not very good for safety systems.

What you are describing with the cleat slipping and going full power is a pretty common problem with some old bars. Also, cleats eating through the CL causing it to break.

inferno
08-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Right me either... Clam cleats are not very good for safety systems.

What you are describing with the cleat slipping and going full power is a pretty common problem with some old bars. Also, cleats eating through the CL causing it to break.

just ask donna about when her instinct when to full power... atleast thats what i heard...

Skyway Scott
08-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Yep, that can't happen anymore... read on...

I also don't like cleats, especially on the depower system for the reasons mentioned. I love the Best bar and will most likely use it on all my kites.
On the Best bar, the stopper ball actually releases under load, the front line depower attachment under the bar works, and the pull/pull strap hasn't slipped on me once.

Yep, Donna got totally screwed one day using the cleat on the Ozone when the depower line slipped and went to full power (on the launch). She basically went from having a 8m kite in her hands to a 15m in .2 seconds and got lofted pretty good.
Even sheeting out all the way didn't help much. It was bad. Cleats and depower lines don't mix, imo.

Since that day, when using a cleat for depower, especially toward the upper end of the kite's range, I have been placing a figure eight knot between the tag end of the depower line and the cleat, to limit how far the line can "slip". In this way, you can't get TOTALLY screwed with the kite going to full power accidentally. It will only slip as far as the knot will allow.

With the SS kite, since the cleat is near the rider, you could probably adjust it on the fly in about 20 seconds. You would just remove the leash briefly, move the knot by loosening it and repositioning it, and put the leash back on.

To do this on the Ozone, I crash the kite (if the wind lightens up alot while riding) move the figure eight further away from the cleat and closer to the tag end. This allows me to power the kite more. If the wind picks up (an awful lot) I will crash it again and reposition my "safety knot" closer to the cleat to limit slip. It's a pain sometimes, but worth not getting lofted from an accidental slip. The Ozone kite has an unreal range due to the trim system, something I really like, but man, if that thing slips, it is literally like going from a 9m to a 15m kite instantly. :(
I tried for hours and talked to several Ozone riders on how to replace the cleat with a Pull/pull strap. Because of how the 5th line and front lines have a set 2:1 ratio to adjust trim, I couldn't figure out how to get away from the cleat.

I kind of wish the companies using the cleats would place something in line to accomplish the role of the safety knot. In sailing I think they are called clutches (little in-line cleats).
I saw some at West Marine.

Sort of off topic from the Rev, sorry. But, I think it might be worth it to get the figure eight knot or clutch idea out there.

Adam
08-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Wud up Adam?

Contact Matt Sexton. I'm sure he will let you demo the kite. I did last Sunday for a brief time.

Yo Erick thats a good idea haha i forgot Matt has a whole quiver of T2's ill have to give him a call

TritonKiteboarding
08-11-2007, 10:40 AM
We'll host a true demo day come september for TD2's if you wanna try em before just hit up myself or mike 203 918 6637 or 727 667 5718 or the house 727 368 1069. We'll be pickin up a full quiver of rev's when the hit the market, check'd em out in san fransisco they were real tight. In bermuda right now chillin with the homegrown band and it's been blowin between 15-25 past three days, be back on the 20th. PEACE.

Adam
08-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know when the REV's go on the market?

Danimal8199
08-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Cool video, kite looks cool too, but when I fall I'd rather my kite not fall out of the sky like a rock...

Also having to reel the kite all the way back in when you pull your safety release is probably not as easy if you are not in knee deep water as shown in the vid.

Steve-O
08-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Danny,

I don't think the kite will fall out of the sky like a rock when YOU crash. It only is a safety when you unhook. Look more closely at the vid. When hooked in, the kite will depower, but not fall out of the sky. Correct me here if I am wrong.

So if you are doing some unhooked trick and you do crash and burn, the kite will fall will little to no pull, much like a 5th line C kite. Yes a little extra effort to get the bar back and kite up, but the instant depower can make for a much more gentle crash especially if doing a powered kiteloop or something like that. Ok maybe not gentle but less violent, how's that?

Even with the depower of bows and hybrids, you can still hit the water pretty damn hard if things don't go as planned.