PDA

View Full Version : Skyway wind meter

bryanleighty
08-02-2007, 08:47 AM
is this down again?

i know its been a topic of old, but what can really be done to get a quality wind meter in place for us wind junkies to own and maintain?

just $$$ ?

Big G
08-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Maybe a caveman can do it........

bryanleighty
08-06-2007, 11:29 AM
are we SOL on this?

Anyone have contact info for someone that could give us the scoop on the skyway meter?

I know its not a super dependable wind gauge, but for a quick look-see on how things are going its one of the best we've got.

Skyway Scott
08-06-2007, 01:01 PM
I think Jayson and others have already been in contact with Dr. Luther.
I don't think that sensor has much value, especially this time of year since there aren't any easts, but here is Dr. Luther's info -

http://www.marine.usf.edu/faculty/mark-luther.shtml

I still just use the baynews9 skycam http://www.baynews9.com/Sky9.html#

someone just launched a kite at Upham.

CrazyJay
08-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Try these guys. They are in charge of the skyway meter...

Richard.Bourgerie@noaa.gov

Darren.Wright@noaa.gov

jayson

bryanleighty
08-08-2007, 08:16 AM
thanks Jay..

here's the response I got yesterday:

Bryan,

A crew is replacing that station as we speak. They are waiting on a few more pieces and parts but said it should be operation by 8/9. I'll let you know if I hear anything further.

Regards,
Darren

BigR
08-08-2007, 08:31 AM
WOW!

A brand spanking new station replacement for the start of the season!

what a present!

inferno
08-08-2007, 09:54 AM
maybe someone should tell them which direction is North :confused: ...... that way they get it right ;)

J/K
this is definately a great way to start our season, no more wasting gas....hopefully

bryanleighty
08-09-2007, 08:39 PM
well its not showing down anymore.. will see what tomorrow brings..
crossing fingers!!

Stevil Kenevil
08-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Is this the one??? It looks pretty high-tech
http://store.kittyhawk.com/HTML/ProductCatalog/Items/518-0201.html

CrazyJay
08-10-2007, 03:54 PM
They have revamped the PORTS system but forgot to put the skyway wind data in. I have spoken with Darren about this and he should have it fixed soon.

BigR
08-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Skyway sensor is up again..... with maybe a new instrument package?

We'll see if this one is any accurate at all.

Scott, by one weeks time we should know whether to give it an A, B, C, D or Failure, don't you think?

Right now its saying 8-10ESE ( at least that agrees with the other sensors ), and earlier this morning 10-12 ESE. is that accurate?

bigairal
08-16-2007, 11:09 AM
i was working on the bay early this morning. at 0700 i was at fort desoto pier winds ESE 10- 12 spot on.

Skyway Scott
08-16-2007, 11:10 AM
I think we will have to wait until the first morning it blows strong NE and then gradually tapers off to 9 knots and compare that to what we experience at the riding spot. So many days the sensor itself stays pinned at solid 15 or more despite the die-off experienced at the riding spot. Then, in the evening when it spikes back up, for the most part, is masked by the "pegged at 15" phenomenon.

I actually don't think the sensor itself has ever been that bad, I think it's placement as it relates to where we ride is the "problem".

Both you and I (and a lot of riders) have noticed that the channel holds more wind than where we launch.

Anyway, I don't currently pay attention that sensor in terms of wind speed.
I live 4 minutes away and just look outside :)
I primarily use it to see trends in wind direction and to spot "drops to zero" for predicting sea breezes.
Glad it is back up either way (dead on accurate or not).