PDA

View Full Version : Helix Ozone Kite. Cool looking shape.

Kev
06-30-2007, 07:43 PM
So is this going to be a real kite? Looks like it coold be a little strange to fly. who comes up with these ideas anyway......

http://kitesurfnews.com/2007/06/and-another-helix-ozone.html

Kev
06-30-2007, 07:52 PM
here's another set of pics of future kite. What's the general opinion on these???

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2339409&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Skyway Scott
06-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Whatta think I have been up to and so quiet for lately? ;)

It's gonna kick the crap outta other kites, that's what I think.

Skyway Scott
06-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Seriously though. It seems reasonable to copy nature (wings) and hope it works. Lots of engineering has been inspired by nature's shapes. Not too many things in the sky that look like a kite (alive).
But, how are you going to rest it on shore? Wind is gonna blow it away (won't it?).

I know Naish is really rolling the dice on this one, that's all I know.
If Ozone actually releases one, I would be very tempted (even though it'll just blow down the beach into a tree the first day!)

Kev
07-01-2007, 01:01 PM
I agree, but it will be fun to see another new shape.

Skyway Scott
07-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I think it looks great. I am curious to see how it does when not using it or how you would self land it. You should see my Instinct (with home made mod) self land. I can land it on a dime, even in 30 :p

inferno
07-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I think it looks great. I am curious to see how it does when not using it or how you would self land it. You should see my Instinct (with home made mod) self land. I can land it on a dime, even in 30 :p

i was more impressed with your HT from 30ft up :)

the mod works great on my waroos as well, maybe we should sell the upgrade kits to local riders????
whatcha think scottie???

Kev
07-01-2007, 09:07 PM
I have not seen this home made mod yet. Maybe because I haven't been out in like 2 months it feels like. SO - What have you gone and done now???

Skyway Scott
07-01-2007, 10:35 PM
BB gun. Shoot it down. Have missed you out there Kevin. Although, I don't mind riding (4 days in a row) without the skunk. Just kidding.... I think that phase is long gone.

The mod is pretty simple, especially if you have Q-line.
It's on the new Ozone kites (finally).
Jeff Weiss actually showed it to me 7 years ago.
It's an oh shit attachment, just on a front line.
I then run some Q line down from it to make it easy to reach.

inferno
07-02-2007, 07:59 AM
The mod is pretty simple, especially if you have Q-line.
It's on the new Ozone kites (finally).
Jeff Weiss actually showed it to me 7 years ago.
It's an oh shit attachment, just on a front line.
I then run some Q line down from it to make it easy to reach.

then bring the kite down to abut 1-1.5 kite lengths off the ground attach your leash to the front line (make sure its the top front line) then dive the kite towards the ground and when its almost pointing LE down drop the bar (make sure your unhooked)

i save the BB gun technique for landing other peoples kites :)

oh yeah, scott, naish had the front line safely in 03, possible sooner but definately in 03

Skyway Scott
07-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I know. That's why I am saying Ozone (finally).
Although I love my Instinct, self landing last years without a mod was basically a joke.

popeye
07-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Wow I had been self landing C kites like since the beginning... showed to me by Jeff Weiss also... I guess I mistakingly assumed it would not work on a bow kite. Duh! I've started doing it (again) myself and it works great.

Skyway Scott
07-02-2007, 09:05 AM
We aren't technically on bows. Do you have pulleys on your bar, kite and bag?
The Ozones are just C-kites with well developed 5th lines for depower. :)