PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Races At Tiki Beach

oc xrated
05-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks to all that made it to the race on Sunday. Due to it's huge success we are now going to have an official race day every Sunday from here on out supported by Xrated Kiteboarding and Tiki Beach.

We are mainly going to have course racing starting and finishing in Fort Lauderdale. Race times will be 1pm, 3pm and 5pm.

- Each race will only be approximately 20 minutes in length and everyone's score will be averaged at the end of the day to find that weeks winner.
- There will be an upwind, downwind and crosswind leg.
- $10 to enter winner takes 50%, 2nd takes 30%, 3rd takes 20%.
- Official rules will apply.
- Sponsored prizes will be awarded.
- Minimum wind will be sustained 12 knots on Tiki Beach's wind meter.
- Party will follow.

Every now and then we will mix it up and do a long downwinder or a boarderX.

Stay tuned to www.fksa.org for all update, rules, weather conditions's etc.

I am open to all ideas and suggestions and ideas, so fire away. Kent is going to help to help with all sailing rules and starts.

Any sponsorship will be considerd.

Hope to see you next Sunday for another fun day. Cheers Neil

kent
05-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Great idea Neil. I'll get the Miami guys to attend as well.

Keeping in mind that the North American Championships will be coming up shortly, I really think that you will need to have some timed sequence starts some time soon to get people up to speed. The CA guys are well versed in this already and if our guys don't get up to speed it won't matter how fast they are.

For your Sunday races: There are some (simplified) simple sailing rules that should apply to make this a bit more fun and keep people out to trouble. Keep in mind that even of you do have right away, that you are still always required to avoid a collision.

Port - Starboard: when 2 riders are coming together (applies to both up wind and down wind), the rider on starboard tack has right away. Simply put if you are riding with your right hand forward, you are on Starboard tack. If a rider intends to inform the port tacker that the crossing is to be close, he / she must hail STARBOARD loudly. If the port tack rider will not be able to cross the starboard tack rider with out causing the starboard tack rider to alter course, the port tack rider should amend his/ her course to avoid the starboard tack rider. When riding up wind, the port tack rider will either alter course to go down wind of the starboard rider and remain on the same tack, or will change direction to avoid the crossing.

It is important to note that once a ride hails starboard, the starboard tack rider must hold his / her course and can not "hunt" the port tack rider by altering either to windward or leeward.

Windward - Leeward: This is a tricky one for kite. Generally, the leeward board (rider that is down wind and on the same tack as the windward rider) has rights over a windward board. Simply put, if 2 riders are on the same tack, the leeward board can take the windward rider upwind until the windward rider can point now farther. This applies to up wind and down wind and usually involves the windward rider trying to over take the leeward rider.

Once the windward riders body passes the leeward riders body, the windward rider should hail loudly (mast abeam). Actually kite should just probably say boady ahead or similar... will need some clarification. At this point the leeward rider can no longer head the windward rider up. The leeward rider is now an over taking rider and new rules apply. See below.

Over taking board: when a rider approaches a rider from behind and intends to over take, he or she shall keep clear.

The 3 basic rules above will cover most instances except mark roundings and I would suggest that the over taking rider keep clear unless and over lap is established with in 1 kite line length to the mark. If an inside over lap is established by that time, then they should be allow room to round the mark... this will likely be more on an issue in boarder cross than course racing.

Kent

oc xrated
05-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Sweet! Great start, lets put those rule in effect. Thanks for the help Kent. Neil

cabdriver
05-21-2007, 04:51 PM
I think we should ban the use of waterskis.

todd

oc xrated
05-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Want to see that waterski scream upwind. I know it screamed past me downwind. Neil

kent
05-21-2007, 05:41 PM
The Water Ski guy Garry Menk for President!!! He's a happy little fella.

The happy little fella get's my vote. Todd don't be a hater...be a Garrynator!

Kent

illibilli
05-21-2007, 07:43 PM
AWESOME!!!! Count me in.....
Kent is dead on with rules....I can't wait to race a kite after racing boats/dinghys my entire life!!! Thanks Neil for taking initiative and being a leader!! great news...today (afternoons like today) would be an awesome time to race also!!! It was sweeeeet out this afternoon....at least for me it was!!! I just dropped my kite at 8:10 pm!!

ricki
05-21-2007, 07:51 PM
The Water Ski guy Garry Menk for President!!! He's a happy little fella.

The happy little fella get's my vote. Todd don't be a hater...be a Garrynator!

Kent

http://www.fksa.org/albums/album196/15_G.sized.jpg

The Menk-man sans ski.

(uh, the one in back!)

ricki
05-22-2007, 08:31 AM
Great idea Neil. I'll get the Miami guys to attend as well.

Keeping in mind that the North American Championships will be coming up shortly, I really think that you will need to have some timed sequence starts some time soon to get people up to speed. The CA guys are well versed in this already and if our guys don't get up to speed it won't matter how fast they are.

For your Sunday races: There are some (simplified) simple sailing rules that should apply to make this a bit more fun and keep people out to trouble. Keep in mind that even of you do have right away, that you are still always required to avoid a collision.

Port - Starboard: when 2 riders are coming together (applies to both up wind and down wind), the rider on starboard tack has right away. Simply put if you are riding with your right hand forward, you are on Starboard tack. If a rider intends to inform the port tacker that the crossing is to be close, he / she must hail STARBOARD loudly. If the port tack rider will not be able to cross the starboard tack rider with out causing the starboard tack rider to alter course, the port tack rider should amend his/ her course to avoid the starboard tack rider. When riding up wind, the port tack rider will either alter course to go down wind of the starboard rider and remain on the same tack, or will change direction to avoid the crossing.

It is important to note that once a ride hails starboard, the starboard tack rider must hold his / her course and can not "hunt" the port tack rider by altering either to windward or leeward.

Windward - Leeward: This is a tricky one for kite. Generally, the leeward board (rider that is down wind and on the same tack as the windward rider) has rights over a windward board. Simply put, if 2 riders are on the same tack, the leeward board can take the windward rider upwind until the windward rider can point now farther. This applies to up wind and down wind and usually involves the windward rider trying to over take the leeward rider.

Once the windward riders body passes the leeward riders body, the windward rider should hail loudly (mast abeam). Actually kite should just probably say boady ahead or similar... will need some clarification. At this point the leeward rider can no longer head the windward rider up. The leeward rider is now an over taking rider and new rules apply. See below.

Over taking board: when a rider approaches a rider from behind and intends to over take, he or she shall keep clear.

The 3 basic rules above will cover most instances except mark roundings and I would suggest that the over taking rider keep clear unless and over lap is established with in 1 kite line length to the mark. If an inside over lap is established by that time, then they should be allow room to round the mark... this will likely be more on an issue in boarder cross than course racing.

Kent

Hey Kent,

Does this illustrate the three rules adequately?

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/images/9sail4.gif
From: http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/safety/9_5.php

Port tack - when the wind is coming over the port (left) side of the boat
Starboard tack - when the wind is coming over the starboard (right) side of the boat
Windward - in the direction from which the wind is coming (upwind)
Leeward - in a direction away from which the wind is coming (downwind)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/en/1/12/Sail-Different-Tack.jpg
From: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book/Recreation/Sailing/Rules_of_the_road

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/en/d/d1/Sail-Same-Tack.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikibooks/en/f/fb/Sail-Overtake.jpg

Once we workout the details I can make a stickie out of the rules and course specifics if you guys like.

oc xrated
05-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Hey Bill, We did a practice race last pm. Out to the red channel marker, upwind around the ship and back to the beach 20-25 mins. Hamish kicked everyones ass on a surfboard, he had a huge upwind advantage. Another one tonight at 5pm to test boards and another course, hope to see you on the beach before 5. Also anyone else who wants to take advantage of this great wind. Cheers Neil

illibilli
05-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Neil!!! ya....I jumped in when i saw you guys cranking downwind to the ship channel today. I got in part of the reach back to the mark close to the port entrance...then I went upwind with you guys to Tiki....I only remember some girl with not much bathing suit on (on a blue Link) just below me!! Pretty much everyone was hauling ass...
Loved it.....maybe tomorrow again? This wind is the BEST!!!
I need to start hangin out on your beach....hate to complain about having my own beach but I miss all the comraderie..or however you say it???