PDA

View Full Version : THIS SATURDAY, Tampa Bay Course Racing and Boarder-X

TritonKiteboarding
05-16-2007, 06:37 PM
We picked a bunch of peoples brains this weekend in TX and have several different race formats we'll be playin with this weekend, We will be setting up, in the afternoon and we'll have a riders meeting at 9:30 and start by 10:00.

6-pack entry fee, winner takes all must be imported beer, if josh or alex win we'll bring out some swag for minors.

If anyone wants to pitch in and build a slider this weekend or bring one out will take some cool shots to send in reppin the bay area. Mike Hall will be the Race Committee along with a couple members of the Eckerd Sailing Team.

I'll post tomorow the for sure location, we're thinking south skyway to avoid crowds but might jst hit EB, reply to this thread if your interested in participating.
TritonKiteboarding.com
TritonKiteboarding@yahoo.com

Alex
05-16-2007, 09:18 PM
im in!

TritonKiteboarding
05-16-2007, 10:02 PM
The following rules have been compiled by waterman of all aspects (sailing, windsurfing, and kitesurfing). We feel that these rules will help to promote the safety of all competitors, as well as allow the racing to run more smoothly. This is still the first draft of the rules of racing, hopefully we will be able to fix the kinks and add as necessary. Any additional input is greatly appreciated for consideration.

Starboard and Port:
When two competitors are crossing each others course, the competitor with their right hand forward has the right of way; the opposing competitor must keep clear. The competitor with the right away must keep their kite at a consistent position, as well as not alter their course.

Windward and Leeward:
In the case that two competitors are traveling on the same tack, the competitor traveling furthest downwind becomes the right of way competitor, AS LONG AS THERE IS AN OVERLAP. Overlap is defined as the the distance between a competitor and their kite. As right of way competitor, he/she may control their kite anywhere they wish within their window, as well as choose a heading of their desire.

Stationary Competitors:
A competitor with their kite at 12 o'clock in the window, and not traveling in either direction assumes the position of right of way competitor; therefore all other competitors must avoid. The stationary competitor must hold this position until all other competitors have avoided, only then may they continue on their course. Competitors who have positioned their kites at 12 o'clock during a tack DO NOT assume the position of right of way competitor.

Mark roundings:
Around each mark a circle with the radius the distance between a competitor and their kite is observed by all competitors. Inside of this cirlce, any competitor who a. enters this circle first or b. enters on the inside of any other competitor becomes the right of way competitor. All other rules shall still be observed, as there were no difference. A common courtesy that should be upheld (but not required!!) is to announce to any other competitors that "room" will be needed to perform a "seaman-like" rounding. (Just say "ROOM" if you think you are allowed to take it.)

AVOID ALL CONTACT:
ALL KITERS MUST AVOID ALL CONTACT (kites, riders, fists...) at all times.

Please remember that we all kite to enjoy ourselves, this is no different. We all have windsport racing backgrounds and recall tension building on the race course (as it should). This should also be left on the race course.

robertovillate
05-17-2007, 06:54 AM
That's great to see you are developing some rules for racing. May I suggest that the terminology of "right of way" be changed to "give way vessel" vs "stand on vessel" to be more consistent with standard navigation rules/racing rules of sailing.

Also you might add a rule related to "overtaking vessel" and define that in terms of give way/stand on vessel.

You may also want to consider a rule regarding "contact" - perhaps both competitors should be required to retire? This might really discourage people from getting too close.

The room at the mark rule is a great one- and in rider/skippers meeting it might be reinforced that for kiteboarding a seaman-like maneuver may require that the kite can fly anywhere within the length of its lines - but perhaps you should also add something about limiting this to what a rider would normally do to achieve a "proper course" - to discourage people from "hunting" with their kite or abusing the rule.

Maybe even add an offset mark to help seperate kites on different legs.

Have fun!

RespectfulKiter
05-17-2007, 10:31 AM
cant wait, is there anyway we can incorporate the new slider into the finish line? How many jumps will be in the course?

inferno
05-17-2007, 11:34 AM
to much water for SSW.....

im game for a race, why not just have it at the SW?
EB will be packed with people who just want to ride....

not everyone wants to race so hopefully those who read teh furom will know to go to EB if they want to just ride

JoshTaylor
05-17-2007, 02:45 PM
i'm in for sure!

bryanleighty
05-17-2007, 03:02 PM
cant expect folks to read the forum.

but.. there should be plenty of room wherever the boarder-x is for riders and competitors....

inferno
05-17-2007, 03:41 PM
but.. there should be plenty of room wherever the boarder-x is for riders and competitors....

not entirely true, ive seen almost 40 kiters riding at eastbeach on a sat afternoon, most of them wouldnt care to join a race they just want to ride...

CrazyJay
05-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Since It's gonna be NE around 17, why not just race from SW to SSW?

Skyway Scott
05-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Jayson,

That means the Skyway to South Skyway I assume?
If so, race there and back?

CrazyJay
05-17-2007, 05:41 PM
If it is a true NE I dont think you would make it back (unless there is a strong incoming tide) but you could go from SW to SSW to EB.
Then youd have to tack back up to backside, break down gear, then walk across road back to SW.

Sounds like fun to me. Everyone who can KITE (and swim) is welcome to join ;0)

BigR
05-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Skyway to South Skyway NOW it is sounding interesting!

I might have to stay intead of going to Miami if we can actually get some people in this race!

edit: or maybe do both! Tampa Sat and Miami Sun.......

bryanleighty
05-17-2007, 06:19 PM
true danny..

the forecast does not look as epic as it had in the past couple days.. saturday might not go off like im hoping.. but.. it might..

i just remember last year when it was projecting a great day and then suddenly some people wanted to do a boarder X on the same day. i thought that it would be a shitty situation with the racers vs. the other people and it that was not the case at all.. it was a great day and plenty of water for everyone..

that was at EB which can get tight sometimes..

SW is tighter, but getting upwind is easy for folks that should be riding there..

all in all if everyones got a good attitude and dont take things too seriously it should not be a problem. racers need to respect those that are just there to ride and vise-versa.

i would vote to do this somewhere that is less likely to have new riders... and that *should* be at Skyway...

BigR
05-17-2007, 06:22 PM
who would be in? as in head count?................

Skyway Scott
05-17-2007, 06:24 PM
I rode almost all the way to other side one day (then the wind starting dying) and turned around. I would guess if it were blowing 15 it would take about 50 minutes to go across and back, (see below for "across and back").
Does that sound close, or am I way off?

Just one boat or jetski out there would be nice, just in case.
We could go to a place more north than where we launch on the south side sw and turn around from that point, maybe. More like a straight out, straight back, after touching the other side kind of race. Instead of having a downwind component.
Just some thoughts, doesn't matter too much to me.

I will volunteer to man a boat if someone brings it. I know how to drive and have some experience with kites in the water, etc.

BigR
05-17-2007, 06:30 PM
50 minutes to go across and back

That would be a broad reach each way on a NNE

Straight N would be a huge hassle getting back to SWN

NE would create a small wind shadow on the SWS side that might be overcome once you got a bit out there

So it depends on wind directions and number of stages

thoughts?

RespectfulKiter
05-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Mike has done a lot of work putting this together. He has a boat and wave-runner, markers, and a course map. How about we do it wherever he has planned for the past few weeks because its all public. People can compete, ride, and if it gets crowded maybe they could go to Skyway, just like everytime you go surfing at a beach and there is a comp and you have to move. It happens all the time, not a big deal. Great suggestions on rules though, if everyone is as as stoked as I am this will be awesome.

JoshTaylor
05-17-2007, 06:59 PM
not entirely true, ive seen almost 40 kiters riding at eastbeach on a sat afternoon, most of them wouldnt care to join a race they just want to ride...

well they can chill on the beach and watch while it goes on... either that or stay way downwind or upwind..

RespectfulKiter ,
i agree completly with you. people not competing should have to move, just like during any other comp. and lets keep it to how MIKE plans it... i like his ideas better anyways.. downwinders are kinda... boring.

Skyway Scott
05-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Mike has done a lot of work putting this together. He has a boat and wave-runner, markers, and a course map. How about we do it wherever he has planned for the past few weeks because its all public.

I think suggestions were made to spots (and even format) in response to no absolute plans being laid out, and just throwing out suggestions. It wasn't that obvious or I doubt Jay, Raul and I would even be mentioning alternatives.

No worries, we aren't trying to steal anything here.

In terms of us being asked to leave all the time for comps like surfers.
That doesn't sound anything like East beach for as long as I've been here.
It doesn't matter to me because I literally can't get wet for about a week anyway.

Woodson
05-17-2007, 07:17 PM
If you needs assistance with the slider, give me a call or text time and location...

Good luck with the race Mike/Matt!

TritonKiteboarding
05-17-2007, 07:34 PM
The Race course is going to be a modified Trapezoid with an off set mark. Each race is going to run about 15 to 25 min. Hopfully there will be 4 to 5 races, if there are 5 races there will be a drop race so that only 4 will count to determine the winner. The race is going to be on the North East side of the SkyWay. We are going to have a 9:30 skippers meeting followed by a 10:00 o'clock start. Please try to get out early, so we can get a early start. Bring a watch cause there is going to a 3 minute starting sequence. Knowing when the start is will be advantageuos. So get ready, this is going to be alot of fun.

Skyway Scott
05-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Now THAT sounds like a plan. That was much more clear. :cool: Even boat support, cool. Sounds like fun. I am not supposed to go in the water, but f.i.:p

What does a dropped race mean? Does that mean some guys race but the outcome of that race doesn't really matter in terms of advancing to the final heat?

Is there any online video or anything (simple) we can read to make course racing a tad more clear? Are the rules listed sufficient already?

E-Bone
05-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I got an even better idea--let's play XBox 360 on my plasma.

Kiteboarding is dangerous and somebody is gonna get a cut or a sunburn doing that super-extreme shit.

Mira
05-17-2007, 10:50 PM
I am kind of confused.. where is going to be, where we have to meet at 9:30?

bryanleighty
05-18-2007, 09:01 AM
I got an even better idea--let's play XBox 360 on my plasma.

Kiteboarding is dangerous and somebody is gonna get a cut or a sunburn doing that super-extreme shit.

Ill tell ya man.. i bought a 1080p sxrd sony display a couple months ago and I cant put my fricking xbox360 down..

holy jesus jumpin on a pogo stick its sick sick sick..

rainbow 6 beeeotch!

TritonKiteboarding
05-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Were setting it on skyway, we will have full boat support and waverunners if anyone wants to bring an extra it would be appreciated. If the wind clocks around with the seabreeze we'll move it out to the flats in boca ciega.

TritonKiteboarding
05-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Thank you everyone, for all the input on the race this Saturday. Everything is organized and the forecast is looking beautiful.

Please be sure to arrive early, so you make the skipper's meeting. The first race starts promptly at 10:00 am.

Get ready for a great time and don't forget the entry fee.

-Mike Hall

ricki
05-22-2007, 09:34 AM
How was the race?

Erick
05-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Congrats Matt, Mike and all the participants. I heard you guys had a lot of fun. Good job!

Skyway Scott
05-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah it was fun. Is there one tomorrow? or Friday?
I am putting up the big kite next time unless its 30 knots. :cool:

TritonKiteboarding
05-24-2007, 12:36 PM
we gotta finish this iko course through friday, then we'll hopefully set another up for the weekend. I have pics of last weeks event, they're really bad ass but i cant upload the .tif format or they're too big, any suggestions??
-Matt Sexton
TritonKiteboarding.com

C. Moore
05-24-2007, 12:48 PM
picasa from Google..