PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on finding gear!!!

mtainfla
05-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Looking to get into the sport and have been doing reseach on gear and wanted to know what size board and kite I would need to get started. I am 5' 11 " and around 180 lbs. I normal spend my weekends in Fort DeSoto Park area. I have been surfing for years and also wakeskate and wakeboard, so riding will not be my issue. I just bought a Best 3 M trainer and wanted to see what people in the bay area are riding. I have been looking at the new Bow kites with a 5 line and wanted to see what the dl was! Tks for taking time to read my post. I hope everyone has a great day and keep on riding!

bryanleighty
05-15-2007, 11:06 AM
heya..

for your size, a great beginner/all-around board is going to be in the 130x40 range. wide boards really help you get on a plane in medium winds and will increase your water time a lot. I tried to start with a longer, narrow board and it was difficult at times.

I am 510, weigh about 200lbs and ride a skywalker pro 131x41 and its an amazing board. excellent for high and lower winds. I have a 140x49 for light wind days.

Small boards needs more wind. simple as that.

but.. i cant leave this post without saying that you neeeeeed to take lessons. no way around that. a good instructor will train you on quality gear and you can test drive some kites and boards in the process. no amount of wakeboard / surfing time will be as valuable as a 3 hour lesson.. or maybe two 3 hour lessons. cannot stress this enough.

bow kite would be a good recommendation too.. but thats personal preference. always try before you buy.

mtainfla
05-15-2007, 12:19 PM
I am going to take some lessons, before I buy any gear... Too many risk not to be smart and play it safe.. I am thinking about taking some lesson form www.tampabaykiteboarding.com who I see out at East beach all the time and the go down to the Key West in Oct and hook up with the Kite house. Just wondering also what size kite is good for the St. Pete area?

Skyway Scott
05-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Most of us have a 7m, a 12m and a 16m kite because the wind changes speed. Last night was 30 to 35 knots I heard. Today is 20. Some days are 10 to 12.

inferno
05-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Most of us have a 7m, a 12m and a 16m kite because the wind changes speed. Last night was 30 to 35 knots I heard. Today is 20. Some days are 10 to 12.

not sure who said it was 35knots... thats 42mph.... i was fine on my 9m, id say around 30-35 mph was the max

invisible
05-15-2007, 07:30 PM
A good first kite would be a 15M or 16M bow style kite (waroo, etc). This would let you ride from 9mph - 20ish mph depending on the kite.

A board, 132x40 and something bigger (150x46) for light wind... a skimboard (no straps or fins) will work in place of a second board.