PDA

View Full Version : anyone up for course racing tomorrow?

kent
04-21-2007, 12:29 PM
If i can get a few people to commit I will set a few marks with my boat. we will run windward - leeward courses. it will be a water start and therefore i need somone to sit on the board for the horns and timing.

to make it easier we could do it off of mathenson. For those going to texas, i assure you that you will want to learn how to do a timed start or you will be lost. At mathenson we could have a timer in the water and start from the shallows, but sequenced. thoughts?

garry, todd, and kent are in... anyone else?

kent

mbs
04-21-2007, 01:48 PM
Hi Kent. I'd be willing to give it a try. I met you the time we went downwind from 89 to matheson with Andreas. I vote for Crandon though b/c the beach is so much nicer. It's still pretty easy to stick the boat in at crandon marina and go under bear cut. What do you think?

kent
04-21-2007, 03:36 PM
that would probably work. i could set a mark up wind out there somewhere. the problem is that my boat is an inboard and can get over the out side sand bar. we can still make it work though. maybe a few more will chime in and we will see if many will come.

Kent

ricki
04-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Hey Kent,

I sent an email out to folks about this linking to your post. Hopefully more folks will jump in.

I have relatives in town but will see if I can sneak away.

stacey
04-21-2007, 07:00 PM
I'm in.

mbs
04-21-2007, 09:45 PM
25knts at Fowey! Matt

stacey
04-22-2007, 06:23 AM
So, Crandon ... Mattheson? What's the word. I'm about to leave in a few minutes. I'm going to Crandon. Maybe see you there.

mbs
04-22-2007, 09:02 AM
wind seems lighter than I was hoping... I'll still head to Crandon though. Kent - if I see you guys setting up Buoys I'll come over to check it out. By the way I'm the one on 2004 Nemi Kites beige 12 or blue 16 (the last ones left I think). Matt.

kent
04-22-2007, 10:00 AM
crandon looks good. jon modica is coming down with a few boards to test. there are a few marks out there if we use the channel markers. I'll be there around noon with garry and todd. i'm sure that half of the free world will be there too. it's also one of those good days to finish with a dw to mathenson.

see you at crandon.

Kent

ricki
04-22-2007, 08:08 PM
So how did it go for those of us who couldn't make it? Hope you had good enough wind.

kiwiar2000
04-22-2007, 08:33 PM
There was PLENTY of Wind today. Around noonish and 1ish, the wind was light(13-15knts) around 4 the wind picked up(25 knts). I did not do the downwinder, but my friend did an UPWINDER to Stiltsville from Matheson Hammock!
-Danny

kent
04-23-2007, 01:45 PM
The wind was great and we did do a little testing. we didn't sent any marks, but Modica, Garry, Kevin, and Todd and I set up a few times to check our upwind angle.

We learned quite a bit and improved on our performance in some areas due to some equipment changes. We generally used Modica's board as the upwind bench mark and tuned in an effort to gain near the same angle with a little better speed. I think that down wind has more to do with the rider while upwind is clearly an equipment issue. Time will tell. a few of us will be at Mathenson tonight from 7 til dark.

Kent

ricki
04-23-2007, 03:34 PM
The wind was great and we did do a little testing. we didn't sent any marks, but Modica, Garry, Kevin, and Todd and I set up a few times to check our upwind angle.

We learned quite a bit and improved on our performance in some areas due to some equipment changes. We generally used Modica's board as the upwind bench mark and tuned in an effort to gain near the same angle with a little better speed. I think that down wind has more to do with the rider while upwind is clearly an equipment issue. Time will tell. a few of us will be at Mathenson tonight from 7 til dark.

Kent

Thanks for the report. So, what is the Modica Standard? What is Jon riding these days, a DC creation?

Have fun tonight, looks like the wind is coming up for you.

kent
04-24-2007, 03:05 PM
Modica has a ton of boards, but we really wanted to just test upwind and therefore he was using a board called a Placebo. This is actually a surf board with the nose cut off and a fairly flat rocker. the board is about 2 inches thick and at least 45 cm wide. it is set up in a 3 fin configuration and the fins are actually quite large, all being over 5 inches in length.

In talking with Damien, he suggested that in testing with Modica that Modica's board was the fastest upwind. I then tested against his board with my DC directional. we made some mods to my fins and the results got better. i'd say that Modica and I are very close up wind and in a long 15 minute beat would likely finish with in 30 seconds of each other (him being first). My board does seem to be considerably faster off the wind and probably fast enough to catch Modica off the wind, but only time will tell.

The real unknown is how good the SF Bay guys have gotten.

Kent

ricki
04-25-2007, 06:48 AM
Modica has a ton of boards, but we really wanted to just test upwind and therefore he was using a board called a Placebo. This is actually a surf board with the nose cut off and a fairly flat rocker. the board is about 2 inches thick and at least 45 cm wide. it is set up in a 3 fin configuration and the fins are actually quite large, all being over 5 inches in length.

In talking with Damien, he suggested that in testing with Modica that Modica's board was the fastest upwind. I then tested against his board with my DC directional. we made some mods to my fins and the results got better. i'd say that Modica and I are very close up wind and in a long 15 minute beat would likely finish with in 30 seconds of each other (him being first). My board does seem to be considerably faster off the wind and probably fast enough to catch Modica off the wind, but only time will tell.

The real unknown is how good the SF Bay guys have gotten.

Kent

Thanks for the information Kent, a look inside competitive gear considerations and tuning. Keep us plugged in on developments.

As to the West Coast, they have had their race series for how long? Also, with night time kiting and all that great wind in the Bay area. Sounds like it has been a good environment for improvement. Then again, it is interesting how well Florida riders have done over the years despite lighter winds.

Good luck guys!

kent
04-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Well, it looks like we will have to wait to find out. According to the V Games organizer, none of the SF Bay area racers are attending the event. This is surprising given that they have lead the charge in course racing. I personally would have believed that the west coast guys would have placed many in the top 10.

As it stands now I see the following riders that are regristered as being able to win races:

Damien Leroy
Jon Modica
Shawn Richmond
Jessie Richmond
Shannon Best
Andy "the grasshopper" Hurdman
Nils
Billy Parker (if he is coming)
and possibly a few that i don't know.

This should be a great event.

Kent

jon modica
04-25-2007, 08:17 PM
So today was another successful day of testing. Me and Kevin Steen had a chance to test my derek board "the turtle" and the placebo.
The placebo being very efficent in light wind. Pointed really high. But in the heavier winds its board speed just wasnt up to par. As soon as it hit 14 knots, the turtle pointed almost as high, but almost doubled in speed.
Both boards were strapless.
later
-Jon

ricki
04-26-2007, 08:17 AM
So today was another successful day of testing. Me and Kevin Steen had a chance to test my derek board "the turtle" and the placebo.
The placebo being very efficent in light wind. Pointed really high. But in the heavier winds its board speed just wasnt up to par. As soon as it hit 14 knots, the turtle pointed almost as high, but almost doubled in speed.
Both boards were strapless.
later
-Jon

Interesting, both strapless boards. You must have jibing down to a flawless, rapid sequence. Do you find you give anything up rounding marks? Folks may have to dust off copies of "How To Rip" to work on directional jibing techniques.

jon modica
04-26-2007, 11:19 AM
jibing is just something you have to get used to. practice alot. I've been spending most of my time working on tacking.