PDA

View Full Version : Backside... pictures speak louder than words!

invisible
04-19-2007, 09:06 PM
No boat hull? The black dots are birds.

http://www.flkitesurf.com/pano.jpg

The imapler... was going to pull this out but didn't have time last visit... didn't ride and couldn't get wet... BEWARE it's under water at high tide!

http://www.flkitesurf.com/bs1.jpg

http://www.flkitesurf.com/bs2.jpg

Stevil Kenevil
04-19-2007, 09:32 PM
The last time I saw the boat hull was last season when Craig W. and I beat down every piece of metal that we could find with a sledgehammer.The hull is practically gone,but in that same spot, there's still a round pole that sticks up about a foot or so that is still waiting to feed on some human flesh.Removing this is do-able at an ultra low tide with tools, manpower and beer.

The Kite-Kabobber doesnt look too difficult, but we will definitely need more beer....and catering by Bayflite's Beachside Bistro.......

bayflite
04-19-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm there.
if theres no wind.
l8r

toby wilson
04-19-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm in. I didn't know that human shish kabob was there in the water and had a close call with it last session on a transition. That thing is just an accident waiting to happen. As for the boat hull, we need to pull every last bit of that thing up, I'm always sketched out when I ride near that spot...did someone say beer?

CrazyJay
04-20-2007, 07:41 PM
Gary Henderson, Toby, and I removed the impaler today.
It was an old slider but not the one I built. Still looks ridable too!

invisible
04-21-2007, 08:27 PM
What! Crap! If I had known it was still ridable I'd have dragged it back out into the middle! DANG!!! LOL

Stevil Kenevil
04-22-2007, 06:25 PM
I havent seen it, but would put a little effort into reviving it to have a decent slider that is SAFER than the legendary BoNeCrUsHeR. I located a company in Sarasota who's willing to build the ultimate slider/kicker combo out of foam with a PVC shell.It would be pricey, and with no Bling Bling, there will be no sli-ding.
My latest brain fart involves building a wooden form. 5 gal. buckets as the main filler/flotation, sheets of PVC for the surface, and expanding foam as the "glue"/filler to bond everything together when you remove it from the form.. Size would be about 2-3' high and in 8' sections, attaching end to end with (?recessed latches?). 3 or 4 sections would be plenty. The problem is that the sheets of PVC are also expensive. If someone could find large sheets of hard plastic for FREE, I would build a test piece.

Anyway, someone really take a look at that old one and see if its fixable, would be much easier than building new.

invisible
04-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Plastic 2x4s made from recycled materials are not that expensive at lowes.

Stevil Kenevil
04-24-2007, 06:02 PM
I would probably use the decking boards made of the same recycled material for the "rails" to slide on. With a sturdy wooden mold, building many sections would be easy, and would hold everything together while the expanding foam does its thing. Even the foam is expensive for the amount of volume required to fill that big of a space. Thats where the buckets come into play(filler). Still the expensive part is the "skin" of PVC, which would take the abuse of us wannabee Dre's. Overall, I think this would make a lightweight, SAFE, slider that anyone could hit, and would easily fit into the back of SOMEONE ELSE'S truck!
Another option is giant chunks of foam(They are 4'x4'x8' chunks) that could be shaped, then coated with a PVC resin, but the co. in Sarasota wont part with the foam. I only found that one company, but I am sure there's more around somewhere.Anyone have ideas for free or cheap materials?

invisible
04-24-2007, 09:11 PM
SAFE slider?? Who wants a safe slider????!! It's not fun if it's not dangerous.

CrazyJay
04-25-2007, 08:07 AM
they make a foam for boats to make the hulls unsinkable. My neighbor used it last year. It's like the crack filling foam you get from Home Depot but in large quantities. Just make a form, turn it upside down, and pour this stuff in. It expands into place.

Stevil Kenevil
04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
yep, we just need an external skin to lay in the mold before pouring, any ideas?

TritonKiteboarding
04-25-2007, 07:20 PM
i got some money leftover from this years funding, i've gotta cover a cable park trip but jay or steve let me know if i can toss you guys some $$$ or some club members for some good manual labor. Let me know soon because my accounts freeze untill the fall after april 27th
-Matt
(203) 918 6637

Stevil Kenevil
04-25-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks, Matt! Anyone have time to track down the 4x8 sheets of plastic? I am swamped with work for the next few days.

CrazyJay
04-26-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm always up for people tossing me $$$$ ;0)~

invisible
04-27-2007, 09:01 AM
You're gonna need it. I could have bought a kite for what I spent on diapers. :D