PDA

View Full Version : PFD Required???

UCFKiteSurfer
01-31-2005, 07:48 PM
I was kite surfing in Titusville last Friday and I was stopped by the Florida Fish and Wildlife. They told me that it was illegal to kite surf while not wearing a life jacket. The guy said that whenever you are on plain you must wear a life jacket. This sounded crazy to me because I think I’ve seen maybe one or two people wear a PFD while kitesurfing or wind surfing and I’ve never seen a surfer wear one. Is this true or was this guy just borded and felt like hassling me? He told me that he wouldn’t write me a ticket but another officer might.

UCFKiteSurfer
01-31-2005, 07:48 PM
I was kite surfing in Titusville last Friday and I was stopped by the Florida Fish and Wildlife. They told me that it was illegal to kite surf while not wearing a life jacket. The guy said that whenever you are on plain you must wear a life jacket. This sounded crazy to me because I think I’ve seen maybe one or two people wear a PFD while kitesurfing or wind surfing and I’ve never seen a surfer wear one. Is this true or was this guy just borded and felt like hassling me? He told me that he wouldn’t write me a ticket but another officer might.

ricki
01-31-2005, 07:57 PM

Wow, that is news to me. I will make some discrete inquiries tomorrow with the FFG folks. You weren't in a Park were you?

ricki
01-31-2005, 07:57 PM

Wow, that is news to me. I will make some discrete inquiries tomorrow with the FFG folks. You weren't in a Park were you?

UCFKiteSurfer
01-31-2005, 08:05 PM
I’m pretty sure it’s not a park. It’s just a dirt road on the side of the highway. It’s a pretty popular spot and no one else I talked to there had heard anything about this.

UCFKiteSurfer
01-31-2005, 08:05 PM
I’m pretty sure it’s not a park. It’s just a dirt road on the side of the highway. It’s a pretty popular spot and no one else I talked to there had heard anything about this.

ricki
02-02-2005, 08:42 AM
I just spoke to a supervisor with Fish & Game out of the Titusville office. He said that there is NO requirement for use of PFD's by kiteboarders. Kiteboards are not considered to be vessels, aquaplanes, etc. and as such PFD use is not mandated.

He did recommend that kiteboarders use PFDs and so do I for that matter. Low proflie impact vests as opposed to most Tyoe I PFDs as the neck flotation could possibly induce neck injury on impact with water at high speed.

ricki
02-02-2005, 08:42 AM
I just spoke to a supervisor with Fish & Game out of the Titusville office. He said that there is NO requirement for use of PFD's by kiteboarders. Kiteboards are not considered to be vessels, aquaplanes, etc. and as such PFD use is not mandated.

He did recommend that kiteboarders use PFDs and so do I for that matter. Low proflie impact vests as opposed to most Tyoe I PFDs as the neck flotation could possibly induce neck injury on impact with water at high speed.

UCFKiteSurfer
02-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the answer. I didnt think it was illegal to not wear one but wanted to make sure.

UCFKiteSurfer
02-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the answer. I didnt think it was illegal to not wear one but wanted to make sure.