PDA

View Full Version : Marco Island/Tigertail Next week

bmwsob
04-16-2007, 11:22 PM
Hey guys, Long time lurker here:D I'm going on vacation this friday untill next friday to marco island. I read all about tigertail and all the no riding zones and such. How is the weather/ wind looking for this weekend and next week? Is it usually crowded down there? This will be my first time riding away from home:confused: Not sure which kite to bring yet.

Donovan

ricki
04-17-2007, 08:15 AM
Hey guys, Long time lurker here:D I'm going on vacation this friday untill next friday to marco island. I read all about tigertail and all the no riding zones and such. How is the weather/ wind looking for this weekend and next week? Is it usually crowded down there? This will be my first time riding away from home:confused: Not sure which kite to bring yet.

Donovan

The first parts of cold fronts, the westerly winds are what bring the good conditions to that area as a rule. The winter is moving on and in theory, the strength of the cold fronts should fall off dramatically in the next few weeks. Looking at what blew through over the weekend (gale force winds for a time), who knows? If strong winds are on, Tigertail can get pretty crowded.

The forecast for this weekend, subject to change as always, suggests a shifting offshore on the SW coast or from the NE. It is too far off to venture a guess for the following weekend.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/shmrn.php?mz=gmz656

You could always do a road trip to the east coast if the winds from that direction pickup. Winds may be 5 mph up to 25 mph+ (the latter if you powerful front moves through, not real likely but it has been an odd year). I would try to bring a few kites to cover the likely wind range.

bmwsob
04-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll keep watching the forecast till thursday night.:D

Donovan

bmwsob
04-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Well i'm here, the wind doesn't seem to be reflective of the forecasts... Ikitesurf doesn't have anything here. It does look pretty good right now though, sideshore. Turns out i'm about 2 miles south of tigertail. I'd almost liike to go right off the beach where I am.:confused: