PDA

View Full Version : how bad is it

inferno
04-09-2007, 11:49 AM
found a small hole in my leading edge, is it worth having the LE opened up to have a patch sewn on it, or should i just put a piece of sail tape on it since its so small.....

Skyway Scott
04-09-2007, 12:10 PM
I have two similar holes in my RRD leading edge. I put tape on the inside and outside (bladder repair tape). It has held perfectly for 3 months.
If you do what I did, make sure the tape on the inside is very smooth, otherwise it might rub the bladder the wrong way and puncture it.

robertovillate
04-09-2007, 12:15 PM
That's a very minor hole.

If you can reach into the leading edge to apply a 1 x 1" dacron tape patch on the interior of the LE that should do it. Be careful you do not stick the tape to the bladder in the process.

The pressure from the LE ladder will do nicely to apply pressure and will keep the patch secure. If you apply a similar size patch on the outside that will clean up the frayed edges.

Sometimes the sail tape patches on the outside of leading edges will not hold as well because of the texture of the fabric, frequent handling or exposure to water, etc., The inner patch will be permanent and the strength of the surrounding material should be greater than before.

edit: Scott makes a good point...also, always round the corners of your patch, that helps alleviate the tendency for corners to lift. Burnish the patch and if possible inflate and leave in the sun. The heat helps the adhesives in the tape to bond and cure.

bryanleighty
04-09-2007, 12:37 PM
if you go to Advanced Sails repair in St. Pete (near Lassing Park) .. the guy there always has scraps of repair tape. This is not the stuff you get at westmarine. this is the real deal that only is available to purchase by sailmakers.. it only comes in huge rolls. its super sticky and super strong. I have a couple pieces on my 12m waroo from last year that are still in perfect shape.

727-896-7245 is the number. call and ask for scraps if he has some. great guy. great place to get your kite repaired too.. inexpensive and super quality work.

limited in colors it comes in.. yes our pink kite has blue repair tape.. but thats how life goes when you need durability over appearance.

yo!

invisible
04-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Thats nuthin. I would just put a few stitches of nylon thread through it.

I had a 1" cut in my LE and bayflite's wife put a patch of nylon behind it and stitched it up with nylon thread. It held for years until I sold the kite.

BigR
04-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Contact cement around and over the repair tape and it'll never come off

E-Bone
04-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Based on the size of the hole, I recommend that you stick your chewing gum in it. Might be a problem while you are riding, but should be a perfect fit otherwise.

Skyway Scott
04-09-2007, 08:34 PM
Eric, I think you are confusing this forum with EK's forum.

E-Bone
04-10-2007, 11:55 AM
My bad. I couldn't resist.

toby wilson
04-10-2007, 12:09 PM
I thought it was classic!...